1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
good idea on the tube, why is your safety depressed though?
Keep that gun oiled and wiped down.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, I dismantled the frame completely, and I accidently broke the grip safety spring :? I called Springfield up and they're sending me a replacement for free, but for now it just stays in all the time. Gun still works fine, just no grip safety.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Take ichy_trigger's advice about the oil. Damn rust. I did the same thing with the bicycle tube and got it to look perfect the first time. Can't tell it's a bicycle tube and have had many compliments on it. Practice until it fits perfect, it will be worth the extra effort. After taking the XD 40 to the range and putting 200 down range, no slippage as before after a little perspiration. Keep coming up with these great ideas and sharing the wealth of info. It is what make this forum so great. BTW I have some blue wonder armadillo on the way as been suggested.

When jumping from an airplane it is suggested to pull the cord but not mandatory. Your decision in the end.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I tried the bicycle tire idea..

I had to use two pieces.. It feels great, but I am not happy with the look..

I love the feel of the rubber, but I think I need to redo it. I didnt really spend as much time on the project as I could have.. Frankly, my fingers are pretty sore for what I got done today.. I have all day tomorrow to take the rubber off, and redo it. That will give me something to do so that I don't have to mow the lawn..

Raymond

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BigBob, I'll definitely have to get some blue armadillo and give it a shot. I agree about less slippage with sweaty hands. It seems to me the more moisture, the better the rubber sticks to my hand.

Ray, it looks like you used either a very thin, or very tight fitting tube. To make it easier to put on, work the rubber a bit by stretching it a lot before you put it on. It's also easier if you work it on either the front of the back first, then do the other side (at least for me). Your's really doesn't look too bad, it looks a lot like mine. We just need to leave an extra 1/4" or so when we cut it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Why did you have to use 2 pieces Captain Ray? Make sure you use the right size, which I think you did, trace the pattern of the grip from the pistol to the tube and it should work well. A trick is to turn it inside out and flod the bottom under, strech it around and pull up. Mine is perfectly placed at the bottom of the mag and at the top, right behind the grip safety. Good luck and there is plenty of tube left I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I had to use two pieces because I just couldn't get it on in the length that I needed.. I think I bought the wrong size tire to use for this project...I bought a piece of rubber for a 27" tire, and that probably would have been fine.. but I bought a 1/8x1-1/4 tire that is more suited for a street bike If I could just find my GD bag for my mountain bike, I have several extra tire tubes in there that are 26" and much larger in width. And thicker... I dunno... I am only into this project for $2.99 so far so I am not complaining too much.. I sure wish I could find my bicycle bag though.. sum-bitch.. where did I put that thing..

Raymond

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you want to try something that looks & provides better grip than an inner tube on the gun, many Home Depot type stores carry 3M's "Safety Walk" tape in textured rubber identical to the $ "Decal Grip" in black or gray for a whopping .69 cents per foot for 1" width. {Also comes in 2 & 4" width's}
Easy to make a template for and apply. Their adhesive is very strong yet peels off with no residue. This stuff has been on own IDPA, etc. guns for years with little wear or failure.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i pointed up the checkering of my 9mm sub, with a small four sided beveled file and a triangular file, tedious, but really grabs your skin.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Captain Ray, you are right about needing a larger diameter tube and good luck finding that damn bicycle bag. A mountain bike tube should fit just fine and I am sure if you used the tube you described how much your hands must hurt. The tube should be 2.125, I think. The ones at wally world that are for mountain bikes are the right ones. You can always make it a little bit begger and trim off the excess for best results.

·
Registered
176 Posts
"A mountain bike tube should fit just fine..."

Shouldn't have to buy one either, most decent Bike Shops will give you a blown one or one with too many patches on it, etc.

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
hey CAPTAIN RAY did you use the crayola crayon trick to white out the engraving on your slide? that looks pretty sweet, i wanna try red and give it a HK'ish look.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Yep.. Crayola worked fine.. of course Corina now wants her crayon back.. but I am afraid that isn't going to happen! What the hell does she need a white Crayon for?! The paper she draws on is my printer paper.. it's white! I think the kid is a little anal.. the box says "24" so she has got to have 24...

The good news however, is that I need to go to bi-mart to pick up a mountain bike tire, because I can't find my mf'n bike bag.. I swear I have three GD tubes in there, and my whole kit! I don't know where I put that thing!? Anyway, I will pick up a new box of Crayons while I am there...

Raymond

·
Registered
249 Posts
Kudos to whomever first started this bicycle tube idea. I love it. I tried the Grip Decals in the sand and rubber as well as the 3M Safety Tape. The sand was way too abrasive for me and the rubber wasn't grippy enough. This bike tube is just perfect, cheap and easily customized.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I went to WalMart to pick up my $8 range bag and a bike tube and found this it's soft shock tape for tennis rackets.

<center>
</img></center>

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Those would be nice.. I am looking for a little chain steering wheel for mine..

Raymond

1 - 20 of 46 Posts