Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had so many messages about this type of custom gun sights job, we created a new thread for it.

First off, gun sights markings have not been upgraded for years, we have newer models of firearms every year, but almost without exception, the basic,no frills, sighting system hasn't changed for more than thirty years.

Maybe it is time to improve over what we have? We have lasers and tritium, red dots and fiber optics and such, but, the bottom price pieces still have not changed much.

Enter Glow-On, a do it yourself option, you have the freedom to change your set up according to your personal needs.
In fact you can make the dots bigger, plus the added bonus of the glow.

Why not? Bigger visual aids are easier to see and for that reason they save brain cycles, there are plenty of examples of this fact.

To illustrate this point: If the size of the gun sight or the markings is not relevant. Lets say we make them tiny or smaller, should we expect to have the same performance at say 15 or 25 yards? I know i would struggle.:(

Anything that brings a strategic advantage is worth having.

Here is a very brief description of he process:

- Make sure your gun sights are clean, use alcohol and a paper towel.
- Mix the paint well and apply it generously, as thick as you can for one layer.

-If you cover the front sight completely you get a tighter visual from behind the firearm (to center a square inside another is easier than to align three dots)

Thirty minutes after the paint is applied use preferably a #2 X-Acto knife to "trim" the excess.

Apply a couple of coats of transparent nail varnish or such. You don't have to cover the whole piece, just over the paint is enough.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is an intentional spill to show how dense Glow-On paint is.
Glow-On paint not a gel and it's no flat enamel.
It dries to the touch fast but it continues to dry and cure for a few days.
Eventually it hardens and becomes completely solid when the acrylic is done setting.
The glow improves dramatically then.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hillman said:
Gatopardo, I'm sure you will be delighted to learn that I have just ordered a big jug of your stuff.

All you nighttime home invaders reading this, take heed.
Thanks for the support, please let us know if we can be of help.

Please take some time to get acquainted with the product and once you apply it to your firearm practice a routine checkout.

If, anyone attempt to cross the line, most probably it's going to be their first time, you on the other hand would have time to set yourself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts