Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Supposedly this new larger frame is only marginally larger and still feels and points the same. So, any possibility they may use this slightly larger frame on another caliber to get more rounds?

I ask because I have very large hands and have added grip junk to thicken my grips, so I don't care about the width. And, if they can fit 14 rounds into this 45ACP, whereas the current .40 only gets 12, how many rounds would the new frame hold for the other calibers? Say, a 9mm service and sub :wink: ?

·
Registered
11,054 Posts
Interesting question.

Here's an idea. If the .45 ACP slide and the .40 slide are the same width and all, could you put your .40 slide on the .45 ACP frame? Then modify the magazine to effectively hold .40 rounds, maybe you could get 16-18 rds.

Just an idea. I suppose we'll have to wait for someone to try it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well, doesnt the website say that the xd gear holster that comes with the 45 ACP will fit any XD? so they must be very similar ...

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Since they can get 14 rds of .45 into their gun I may have to get one. I bought a H&K USP .45 in the last year of the ban; I did not know then wether it would die away or be passed again. I'm glad it has died but the 12 round mags for the USP still cost $45 or more. The XDs are generally less than $25, and with two more rounds overall I might have to sell the USP to get a XD in .45.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think you have to look at WHY this new frame can hold more. The real reason for a new frame was to make it longer, with the secondary emphasis on width. For example, the XD9 already has a true double stack, so you really wouldn't be able to fit more rounds in it with this new frame over the original one. The new frame's width might help accomodate a couple more rounds of .40 (with new .40 mags), but not really enough to make a true difference.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
MPSoldier said:
I think you have to look at WHY this new frame can hold more. The real reason for a new frame was to make it longer, with the secondary emphasis on width. For example, the XD9 already has a true double stack, so you really wouldn't be able to fit more rounds in it with this new frame over the original one. The new frame's width might help accomodate a couple more rounds of .40 (with new .40 mags), but not really enough to make a true difference.
I agree with MP's logic!...The mag geometry limits the possible .40 capacity.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I'm not talking about converting it to .40, I already have an XD in .40 but I would like to get a quality gun in .45 that does not hurt the wallet on price and accessories like the USP does.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Actually I think the length of the new xd-45 Grip is going to be nearly identical to the length of the existing frame’s grip. Width of the magazine can make a huge difference in the capacity of a double stack magazine.

Yet I must admit the new XD-45ACP version is not going to help the 9mm crowd any since the original XD was made to be a 9mm gun and the magazine is already the proper width for 9mm. On the other hand for the 40S&W guys it could make a BIG difference.

As you can see in the above drawing 15rds close packed of 40S&W is only a small fraction of an inch longer than 16 rds of 9mm close packed. When, as is the case for the XD-40, you start stuffing 40S&W rds into a 9mm width magazine capacity plummets. Hence the reason you get 16 round of 9mm and only 12 rounds of 40S&W in the XD. It gets even worse when you stuff 45ACP or 45 GAP into a 9mm width magazine.

Not only does the limit capacity but it makes loading the magazines harder that a close packed magazine. Since the rounds are not close packed (ie the round is touching the round direct below it and the staggered round between them) they exert a lot more force outward toward the sides of the magazine. This makes loading round more difficult as it increase friction between the round and magazine wall.

So the new frame will not really help the 9mm guy although it will give them the length if they want to shoot 38 super, 9x23 or similar long 9mm. It could give us a frame to make a very competitive 40 cal limited gun with proper magazines (45 close pack magazine are too wide), and of course it will make a very fine 45ACP gun.

Ramblin
mcb

ETA The lenth of the box (left to rigth on the drawing) is the same in all the above examples. The width of the box in the first three is the proper width for a close pack arangment with the bottom two boxed being the same width as the close pack for the 9mm rounds.

·
Registered
166 Posts
mcb's diagrams show that yes, you can get a couple more rounds (2 without going over) of .40 in the new magazine, but would those mags fit in the present .40 XD? Maybe, maybe not. I would take a stab at it and say not as we already know the front strap-to-back strap length is longer on the new frames, so the mag probably is as well, therefore, no the new mags will NOT fit in the old frames.

Are they going to take the whole XD40 back to R&D, redesign the grip and frame, adjust production and take the time and spend the money to remarket the XD40, and then ask everyone to throw away their old XD40 mags for newer ones, just for the sake of two more rounds? Probably not....

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, but as gsh341 mentioned above, if the current 40 slide fits onto the new frame, you may be able to buy the 45 for the frame, and put your 40 slide onto it -- convert it for more rounds. But then, why would I want to?? I'd have a 45ACP!! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but here is the info.

I went down to my friend's store. He just got a XD-45 in. I ran home and grabbed my XD-357. I tore both apart. (Picture Tuco in the store in the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.) The barrels are slightly different due to the size of the .45 casing and where the barrel latches to the slide is different. The .45 is squared off while the .357 has a crescent shape to allow for the trigger spring. I don't have pics to just look at the big hunk of metal hanging off the bottom of the chamber and you'll see what I mean.

At any rate I was able to put 16rds of .357sig in the mag comfortably. 17 fit but the last popped out due to spring tension and possibly needing to pinch the mag lips more.

I next placed my slide on the .45 frame as this is the only way right now to make this work without a conversion barrel for the .45. The frame of the .45 is slightly longer due to the casing length of the round. I see no problem associated with this. I was able to put the mag in and easily chamber and extract a round.

I am going tomorrow to get a closer look at the barrels to make sure that the gun won't kill itself while firing in this configuration due to the shape of the latch. I doubt it will be an issue but I want to be sure.

If this works I plan on buying a 9mm conversion barrel also which I figure should give me 22+ or so rnds on 9mm. I was going to test it but don't want to pinch the mag lips on a gun I don't own.

Lets discuss this some more. I still think the best way would be a conversion barrel but if you want to be the first kid on your block running this setup this is the only way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts