Springfield XD Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
That sound really sweet! I'm in Wisconsin, so not too far. How long are these classes projected to be? It would be a nice mini vacation away from the wife.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Sounds great, Mark. Just a short hop for me and the little woman. ;)

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Would love to have ya Frenchy
:D

·
Banned
290 Posts
I really like vid's that show different ways of doing things so thanks for posting that.

I do have a question: at the 1:23 and 1:47 in the video the guy demonstrates a draw technique that I refer to as the Israeli method because the only time I ever see it done is in videos of Israeli troops demonstrating their shooting. Why is there the extra step of racking the slide after the draw? The pistol even seems to be sideways and the demo shows them aiming in what I consider to be the usual manner after that. What is the reasoning behind this method?

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
^^ WHat you are seing there is called the Isreali Draw. It is common for guns to be carried in condition 3 in Isreal which is hammer down no round in the chamber.

What happens on the draw is that as the strong hand draws the weapon and brings it to the centerline of the body, the weak hand slighsots the slide chambering a round, following through with the motion, the weak hand moves into the support position on the gun, the sights/gun are aligned with the target, and the shot breaks.

reasoning behind carrying in condityion 3 is that there is simply no way for a round to be discharged until one is chambered on the draw.

It is not popular for the most part in the US as we are tought to carry condition one and exercise extreme discipline with the trigger finger placement.

Personally I carry condition one, but have seen folks carry Israeli Style that are just as fast to break the first shot as a practiced condition one carrier.

Whichever you are more comfortable with, the main thing is always carry that way and practice your draw from concealment ALOT.

Practice=smooth...
smooth=fast.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Mark, I've got my ccw, but what other kind of pistol/rifle training are you considering? Hand to hand for an old guy? Might be interesting and not all that far from Michigan. When

·
Banned
290 Posts
^^ WHat you are seing there is called the Isreali Draw. It is common for guns to be carried in condition 3 in Isreal which is hammer down no round in the chamber.

What happens on the draw is that as the strong hand draws the weapon and brings it to the centerline of the body, the weak hand slighsots the slide chambering a round, following through with the motion, the weak hand moves into the support position on the gun, the sights/gun are aligned with the target, and the shot breaks.

reasoning behind carrying in condityion 3 is that there is simply no way for a round to be discharged until one is chambered on the draw.

It is not popular for the most part in the US as we are tought to carry condition one and exercise extreme discipline with the trigger finger placement.

Personally I carry condition one, but have seen folks carry Israeli Style that are just as fast to break the first shot as a practiced condition one carrier.

Whichever you are more comfortable with, the main thing is always carry that way and practice your draw from concealment ALOT.

Practice=smooth...
smooth=fast.
Thanks. Chalk it up to different philosophies I guess.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
I have a buddy that lives in Arkansas and may be interested in doing something like this. I may have to see about attending a class sometime.

Regardless, good luck with your new venture.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Mark, I've got my ccw, but what other kind of pistol/rifle training are you considering? Hand to hand for an old guy? Might be interesting and not all that far from Michigan. When
CFA will be hosting The Mako Defense Group from Sept 20 - Oct 2nd

They will be conducting thier Pistol 1 and 2 and carbine 1 and 2 courses twice each in back to back one week blocks.

Their 1 and 2 level courses are roughly equivalent to most schools 1.5 and 3. I have no doubt you'll get more BANG for your buck

Hand to hand and unarmed defense will be covered as well.
Krav Maga techniques will be taught which are natural fluid movements that incorporate the stress response into the given technique. KM is very much and offensive self defense art in that all moves incorporate an attack into the defensive response.

You can see some of this in the vid if you watch the knife defense moves.

I have a buddy that lives in Arkansas and may be interested in doing something like this. I may have to see about attending a class sometime.

Regardless, good luck with your new venture.
Would be great to see you too GSH!

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Great News, and your only two hours away !!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am not really a fan of the Israeli draw. What happens if I am using my weak hand already? Driving, carrying my daughter, holding onto a vehicle, etc. One of the things I like about the XDM is the lack of an external manual safety. You just pick it up and shoot.
OTOH, I am a very strong proponent of Krav Maga. *GREAT* system.

Best of luck to you guys!

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I have some issues with the Israeli draw as well. You bring up a couple good points.

Just because I'm hosting them does not CFA will automatically adopt all their practices.

;)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Really cool, Mark, I'm just a tad N of Kansas City so I'll keep you in mind as Ive been wanting a carbine course but it'll likely be next springtime before I choose to do it. Good to know there are options for training :)

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
It would be really cool if a bunch of us could pick a week or weekend next year and take a class or 2 together..:mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
We'll see what this coming spring brings.

The Mako session is really just soft launch, we'll be gearing up and getting an instructor cadre together over the fall/winter.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
And yeah, an XDTalk member special might get worked out.

;)

21 - 40 of 55 Posts