Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a picatinny rail style gas block to mount a bi-pod? The other option would to be drill a hole and find a sling stud for the aluminum hand guard. Concerned about availability of the stud. My main concern is an accuracy issue - no longer a free float barrel. Or is there other concerns I'm just not seeing? Am I being too anal retentive or is there something to my line of thinking. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
838 Posts
IMHO, the bipod would have more of a positive effect on accuracy than the "free float" factor without it. Anyone without a free float rail is , in effect, doing what you described. Except for the most precision type of shooting, the FF doesn't make much difference in my experience. A rest or bipod does.;)

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Mounting a bipod directly to the barrel entirely negates even having a freefloat forend.

Plus, if you're using the gas block and you're too rough going prone, you could knock the gas block out of alignment and thus turn your gun into a single shot if the gas port misaligns.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mounting a bipod directly to the barrel entirely negates even having a freefloat forend.

Plus, if you're using the gas block and you're too rough going prone, you could knock the gas block out of alignment and thus turn your gun into a single shot if the gas port misaligns.
Thanks, I never gave a thought to the actual gas block having an issue. That pretty much makes up my mind. Drilling the hand guard isn't a big thing. Was just hopping not to have to find a stud with a backing plate for it.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Thanks, I never gave a thought to the actual gas block having an issue. That pretty much makes up my mind. Drilling the hand guard isn't a big thing. Was just hopping not to have to find a stud with a backing plate for it.
UTG has a sling stud mount bipod for like 20 bucks. It comes with bi pod, stud, and adapter plate to go from the included stud to pic rail. Then the bipod attaches to the rail. 20 bucks would get you the parts you need.

Or do what I did and just mount magpul polymer rail sections with button head cap screws

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Studs are inexpensive, easy to install, and readily available. I have a sack full.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts