Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went by the local Dick's today to grab some .40 S&W. I saw a new bulk package of 500 rounds (I think,) for $90. II was curious si I asked the counter guy about it.

It was in a plain brown box with no manufacturer ID (I didn't see country of origin, but then again, I wasn't looking for it.) The rounds were in a clear plastic bag inside.

RThe reason I didn't take in many details is that inside the box clearly marked .40 S&W, was a bag full of 9mm Luger! We checked both boxes they had in stock and they were both like this. On a whim, I looked in the 9mm Luger box and it too had 9mm Luger.

So of you planing on buying this brown cardboard box of bulk ammo, look at the actual rounds first.

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
Good tip. Most shooters would realize the error when they got home/opened the box/tried to load mags. At worst an annoying trip back to Dick's. Some might actually load mags and attempt to fire...that could be worse.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Good tip. Most shooters would realize the error when they got home/opened the box/tried to load mags. At worst an annoying trip back to Dick's. Some might actually load mags and attempt to fire...that could be worse.
Can muck up your rifling.

Good price.

Stop shopping at dicks

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Stop shopping at dicks

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.
Not that he asked us but I certainly agree.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not that he asked us but I certainly agree.
I would, but right now, they have .22LR, so I'm dropping by fairly often to get my 150-round daily ration.

(Anti-hoarders, I have 300 rounds right now and I'm stopping at 1000.)

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I went by the local Dick's today to grab some .40 S&W. I saw a new bulk package of 500 rounds (I think,) for $90. II was curious si I asked the counter guy about it.

It was in a plain brown box with no manufacturer ID (I didn't see country of origin, but then again, I wasn't looking for it.) The rounds were in a clear plastic bag inside.

RThe reason I didn't take in many details is that inside the box clearly marked .40 S&W, was a bag full of 9mm Luger! We checked both boxes they had in stock and they were both like this. On a whim, I looked in the 9mm Luger box and it too had 9mm Luger.

So of you planing on buying this brown cardboard box of bulk ammo, look at the actual rounds first.
Working in retail, its pretty obvious to me that some jerk took the bags of 40 and put them in a 9mm box. He got the deal of the day. Its called box switching/stuffing and it happens all the time.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Well, considering .40 isn't much more expensive than 9mm at the moment, I call that switcher a dumb ***. :lol:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
90 bucks for 500 rds of 9mm or 40 s&w I'm in. The Dicks around here carry very little ammo if any. I think they stopped selling guns.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Well... that's 9mm of "uncertain origin" for 18c per round. Not horrible, but you can buy other reloads for about that. If it's "new" ammo that's not a bad deal if they shoot. Hopefully you have a 9mm handgun laying around that needs some love. Otherwise I guess you can return it.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Well... that's 9mm of "uncertain origin" for 18c per round. Not horrible, but you can buy other reloads for about that. If it's "new" ammo that's not a bad deal if they shoot. Hopefully you have a 9mm handgun laying around that needs some love. Otherwise I guess you can return it.
Why would he have to return it? He discovered the problem in the store!

Do need to brush up on your reading skills?

don

·
Registered
497 Posts
I did...years ago.
Same here. I sent Dick's and CTD emails as to why (for my peace of mind more than their concern for my opinion) and boycotted them both for life. I refuse to do business with either company....Ever again....

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Why would he have to return it? He discovered the problem in the store!

Do need to brush up on your reading skills?

don
Perhaps I was not clear... If you have a 9mm gun and you take it home and it works, all is well and good since the price was decent. If it does not, then I would think you could return it since it would be "defective" ammo. I don't know how many you could shoot before they would deny a refund since I don't buy from Dick's anyway, but most stores will take back defective ammo as they don't want to be sued if something goes wrong. The labeling thing is moot if the box was opened. IF it was sealed and the label was indeed 40 S&W they have a problem. The store cannot be held liable for things customers can move around so it's all about the labeling on a sealed box.

And yes, I know he discovered this in the store and was trying to buy 40cal. (I wonder who opened the box?). So... although I am of a "certain age" the schools of my time did indeed teach reading... and even etiquette. Churchill once said "It costs you nothing to be polite when you have to kill a man", so I guess you don't intend to kill me.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts