Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an AK today. I know that most AKs will eat up wolf all day, but i would like to treat my weapon a little better than that. What brand is slightly better and only 1-2 cents more expensive?

Thanks,
Monkey

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
An AK will eat anything.

If you want the very best ammo, order a case of yugo from Samco. It ain't cheap and it is corrosive but it is the most accurate on the market. I have shot about 2000 rounds of it and I love the stuff.

Yea I know the C word. Clean your gun properly and you will not have any problems with corrosive.

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
The best in my opinion, but friggen expensive is Lapua ammo.
It's on gunbroker every now and then and sometimes arfcom.

I just seen some sell on arfcom. 920 rounds for $350 shipped, not a bad deal but I was low on the funds :-(

some of their AP stuff is on gunbroker now.

But for 1-2 cents more than black box wolf, i'm not sure..probably the Yugo surplus that was mentioned..I personally love the military classic hollow point stuff wolf puts out.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
It's a AK not a SAKO Steel cased ammo will not harm the gun in any way.And as a bonus a friends AK shoots the wolf military classic better than anything he's tried in it to date.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
But you must remember. AKs are bullet hoses. 6 inches at 100 meters is OK for an AK. That is what they were designed for. They wer neve meant to be tack drivers. I have shot a 1.5 inch group with my preban Maddi but it took me about 30 minutes and expensive Norma ammo.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Most all AK (7.62x39) ammo that is commercially available is between $0.18 and $0.22 per round whether it be Wolf, Yugo surplus, Barnaul, etc. Unless you get into the more expensive Norma, Lapua, even Winchester, etc., ammo at twice or more the cost...you are basically stuck with the same or similar quality ammo.

Just get the Wolf and shoot the crap out of it!!! Take the few extra cents you were willing to spend and buy more Wolf (or maybe more chamber cleaning supplies). ;)

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
The only problems I have with Wolf are these: It tends to be a little underpowered, it stinks and it shoots dirty and it is not very accurate. Not corrosive just very dirty. And I did have one .223 blow the primer out. But I have shot hundreds of round of Wolf and never had a problem other that this one round.

But it is great, cheap blasting ammo.

I still favor the Yugo. I won't shoot any of the case I have but I do love the stuff.

·
Registered
15,712 Posts
I picked up some Barnaul ammo last week from thesportsmansguide.com - it supposedly cleaner, but still not brass.

Wolf is dirty as hell, but makes shooting fun and cheap.

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
I read somewhere (can't remember) about a guy who pulled the bullets on a bunch of wolf and they had a lot of variance on the powder amounts. There is not very good quality control with Wolf but I guess it's just enough. Maybe try brown bear and or silver bear in 7.62.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
brass AK ammo is like putting 93 octane in an old truck
It isn't the brass. It is berdan primed anyway and not reloadable without a LOT of hassle. It is the accuracy of the ammo that I am impressed with.

But hey if the 93 octane will make the old truck run better then why not?

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
This story is bullet related eventually ;-)

Late this afternoon I went out on my land to put a new memory chip in a game camera. I recently bought a bloodhound pup and am trying to get him used to his boundaries so I took him and my AK along..I get out there and there are 14 deer around the camera about 80 yards away so I squat down and to let them do their thing and wait for them to leave without seeing me..
1 looks towards the opposite direction and they all scatter.

Within a minute I see a pretty good size boar walk out and then a small pig behind it, then another and another and another..I lost count at 43 wild pigs all together.

I have been wanting to take a 20ish pound wild pig for a month or so to smoke/grill and here infront of me are dozens and dozens..But they are 80 or so yards away, I have a dog that hasn't heard gunshots yet and i'm carrying a G code AK :rolleyes:

I talk myself into taking a shot, where I was kneeling is roughly 80 yards from the camera where these pigs are, I know this because my range runs alongside the area and it is 100 yards and i'd estimate being 20 yards down it. Anywho, I take the shot and I see 1 drop. Most of them scatter but 2 boars.

I walk towards them and the boars don't want to leave so I shoot at the ground near them and they run away. The wolf military classic HP round hit the pig in the neck, exit wound was large, i'd say maybe baseball size, I look about 3 feet next to it and another pig is laying there. Somehow it went through, leaving a baseball size exit and hit the other pig in the same spot. Dunno why the bullet didn't just completely fragment. Oh well, I have two 20 pound pigs i'm going to BBQ tomorrow. A new puppy that isn't afraid of gunshots and a cheapish G code that I now feel comfortable making 80+ yard shots with at pigs.

Wolf ammo gets a bad name sometimes but i've shot thousands of rounds of it out of my XD40 with no problems..And I always did like the Wolf MC HP stuff but now have seen what it does to soft tissue. Extremely effective stuff and it's about as cheap as anything else and you can use it for hunting. You might wanna try a box or two and see how you like it.

I know I won't use anything else now...unless it's free.

-story over-

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
I walk towards them and the boars don't want to leave so I shoot at the ground near them and they run away. The wolf military classic HP round hit the pig in the neck, exit wound was large, i'd say maybe baseball size.

..And I always did like the Wolf MC HP stuff but now have seen what it does to soft tissue. Extremely effective stuff and it's about as cheap as anything else and you can use it for hunting. You might wanna try a box or two and see how you like it.
Just out of interest, thesportsmanguide.com have a GREAT price on this ammo right now and even though it's out of stock, they are accepting orders for restocked ammo in about a week.

1,000 rounds for $194.97 plus $13.50 for shipping is the best I can find right now.

7.62x39 Wolf Military Classic JHP

Phil

1 - 15 of 15 Posts