Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just completed my hunter-education course yesterday, and got my "red card!" Better late than never, huh?

On my next day off (Friday), will go to the DOW, get my small game license, and see what's available OTC for deer and elk.

I had started all of this in April, but work kept getting in the way of taking the "completion course."

It's been about 30 years since I last hunted... didn't need the "red card" then. Last year I had some elk-burgers... funny, how I didn't think about hunting again until I ate a few...

And over the spring/summer/fall have kinda' gotten everything needed, including a new bow, carbon arrows, and broadheads (G-5 Extreme, and have been shooting it almost daily out to 60 yards. I'm WAY good at 30 and under---it's set at 55#), and a Ruger SS GSR and 2x7 scout scope for it. I've had a .22 (Marlin model 60 SS) for quite a while, and a shotgun, too, but it's got the short barrel for home-defense. (Remmington 870 express.) Would like to have a new shotgun for hunting, though. Maybe by spring of next year. Got lots of good cold-weather hunting clothing, too, and recently a pair of Irish Setter 1,000GM thinsulate boots.

I also got a pack/freight frame, knowing that in Colorado you've gotta' retrieve your kill from some "interesting" places. I've field-dressed a lot of deer ("way back when"), and don't think it would be too different for elk, and have read lots about that. Will be reading more about the differences in field-dressing, but assume it's all pretty much the same with few considerations.

So I once again have all the gear... I just dread hauling a deer or elk out of the mountains.

Anyone have any pointers/tips/tricks for retrieving a kill, aside from quartering it and schlepping it out? I'd greatly appreciate any information anyone can give me.

Thanks, in advance! And by the way, am female, and will be *mumble-mumble* (okay... 60) next year, but feel I'm in great shape, considering my age. My doctor says so, anyway. *smile* Hunting again has been on my bucket-list for quite a while, and am glad to be getting back into it. How I've missed it.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Just completed my hunter-education course yesterday, and got my "red card!" Better late than never, huh?

On my next day off (Friday), will go to the DOW, get my small game license, and see what's available OTC for deer and elk.

I had started all of this in April, but work kept getting in the way of taking the "completion course."

It's been about 30 years since I last hunted... didn't need the "red card" then. Last year I had some elk-burgers... funny, how I didn't think about hunting again until I ate a few...

And over the spring/summer/fall have kinda' gotten everything needed, including a new bow, carbon arrows, and broadheads (G-5 Extreme, and have been shooting it almost daily out to 60 yards. I'm WAY good at 30 and under---it's set at 55#), and a Ruger SS GSR and 2x7 scout scope for it. I've had a .22 (Marlin model 60 SS) for quite a while, and a shotgun, too, but it's got the short barrel for home-defense. (Remmington 870 express.) Would like to have a new shotgun for hunting, though. Maybe by spring of next year. Got lots of good cold-weather hunting clothing, too, and recently a pair of Irish Setter 1,000GM thinsulate boots.

I also got a pack/freight frame, knowing that in Colorado you've gotta' retrieve your kill from some "interesting" places. I've field-dressed a lot of deer ("way back when"), and don't think it would be too different for elk, and have read lots about that. Will be reading more about the differences in field-dressing, but assume it's all pretty much the same with few considerations.

So I once again have all the gear... I just dread hauling a deer or elk out of the mountains.

Anyone have any pointers/tips/tricks for retrieving a kill, aside from quartering it and schlepping it out? I'd greatly appreciate any information anyone can give me.

Thanks, in advance! And by the way, am female, and will be *mumble-mumble* (okay... 60) next year, but feel I'm in great shape, considering my age. My doctor says so, anyway. *smile* Hunting again has been on my bucket-list for quite a while, and am glad to be getting back into it. How I've missed it.
An elk is about the same, but it is a lot bigger than a deer. Like 3 times the size. Bring rope, in case you need to tie his legs off to trees. Look into boning an animal, it's just another step further than quartering. Getting all the skin, bones, and inedible meat off is a serious help if you are packing it around. Pack boards are great in the snow, you can tie a rope to the front and pull them like a sled. Bring friends or know somebody with horses is about all the rest you can do.

Have fun, and good luck.

·
Premium Member
128,168 Posts
Happy hunting...be safe!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Tree Automotive exterior
Thanks, both of ya's for the encouragement. I'll be hunting mostly with my best friend, a retired Marine, so won't be hunting alone, for the most part.

Today, on the drive to work I noted an older guy (older than me... probably well into his 70's) in a big Dodge truck with an ATV in the bed, either heading out or coming in from hunting. I pulled up next to him at a traffic light on Hwy 24, on the West-side of Colorado Springs. We briefly looked at each other, and he had this big smile on his face. I smiled back at him. *smile*

So I'm thinking if this "old geezer" can have some hunting fun, then so can i!

I've a Dodge truck with a camper on it... great furnace, potti, and pretty much everything, except a water heater. That's a 2m/70cm antenna attached to the side, during this year's Pikes Peak Hill Climb, by the way. Did radio communications for them this year. The truck is nicely lifted, 4WD, and will go most anywhere. It's been my home-away-from home on many camping/fly fishing trips. Will do well for hunting, too! Also have a nice 6x8 flatbed trailer for stuff. Over the years this has been a great escape-vehicle. It's insulated, and certainly a 4-season thing!
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Tree Automotive exterior

Anyway, I'm looking forward to using this as my own, personal elk camp. *smile* I'm still uncertain of when the season ends... I think I've got a little time, and hopefully a little luck to at least make a go of it this year. And there's always next year.

I've enjoyed reading all the posts in this thread, and have really enjoyed the pics, too. It's all inspiration to me. So thanks for all of it.

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
I can't add much Zebra, except good luck, and pick your shots! You can always try and coax the 9-pointer down to 50 yards in front of your truck :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the good-luck wishes!

Elk season, for the most part, seems to have ended on 11/16. There's a plains rifle-season that runs through January, but don't know anything about available land out there. So I might be too late for elk this year. Just read this in the Big Game manual this morning.

I'm happy to have it all together for elk for next year, anyway. There will be other things to hunt, huh?

My next day off is Friday. Will be going to the Parks and Wildlife office in the 'Springs, and talk to someone there that can help me with options for the remainder of this year.

Thanks again for all the support, guys.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A while ago I was reading the Colorado Big Game booklet... deer season runs through the end of the year, so I'm hopeful to find an OTC tag on Friday.

Why is hunting in Colorado so dang'd complicated???

Ok. off to work. Have a great day, all. And thanks again for everything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts