Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see lots of talk on here about TFO's, trijicon, Heine, 24/7, etc.. What is a good sight for XD-9 service, daylight, lowlight shooting. Most, 99% of time will be recreational shooting, target, range etc.. Hopefully I'll never need it for an intruder. Any thoughts on sights :?:

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
I think you would be happy with the TFO sights, based on your intended use.

As for an intruder, don't worry about sights, as I don't think you will even use them. When the SHTF, I think most just point and shot, as you don't have much time to sight in the BG.

If you have a club in your area, give an IDPA match a try. It makes shooting that much more fun. USPSA is Ok too. :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinkin' either the TFO or 24/7's mainly, I know alot of guys like the TFO's, I also like the way the 24/7 is a vertical line up versus horizontal. I saw something on the Heine website saying that vertical line up is proven faster than horizontal for the human eye. I Just want something that provides faster target acquisition. Doesn't the 24/7 have tritium in them???

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Bmod4 said:
I was thinkin' either the TFO or 24/7's mainly, I know alot of guys like the TFO's, I also like the way the 24/7 is a vertical line up versus horizontal. I saw something on the Heine website saying that vertical line up is proven faster than horizontal for the human eye. I Just want something that provides faster target acquisition. Doesn't the 24/7 have tritium in them???
Sight picture is very fast with the 24/7's. I am actually shooting 10x better with them than the standard 3-dot. I know.. I'm a weenie.
I have the standard size dot and it's just right for me.
Here's a pic of the front dot I took the other day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where did you get your sights at, also did you install or have someone else do it? and last, how much $

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Bmod4 said:
Where did you get your sights at, also did you install or have someone else do it? and last, how much $
I bought the sights at Brownells. When you order them, select the sights made for the Sig P225, 226, etc.. They are the same model number as the HS2000/XD ones. If you select the XD model, it will say it is dropped from the manufacturer. Weird.. I did the install with the help of a friend. It was pretty straight forward. Pricing wise varies. I got them for $90 plus shipping. They retail for $120. I get dealer pricing.
You can also get them at www.xd-hs2000.com He sells them for $110 but can also install them if you send in your slide.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I have decided to get the 24/7 sights, nothing against the TFO's, I just like how the 24/7's line up vertically. I'm going to wait till after the holidays to get them though. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
just to let you know the 24/7's are a "point of aim" sight picture, whereas the stock sights on the XD (and most other sights made) are a "6 O'clock" sight picture.

the 24/7's are not as accurate at far distances, due to the very large front sight.

not saying they are bad... just saying they are very different from most sights.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have the 24/7s on a Kahr, which is great for its intended use: a quick shot at close range from a defensive gun.

They just flat out suck for anything past 7 yards. They tend to string shots vertically because there is no easy way to reliably align the front sight with the rear sight in the vertical axis. I have the same problem with the SIG bar dot sights personally.

I think the TFOs are the best all around sight for day and night use.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The XS' are great up to 15 yards. Anything further you will have to compensate and adjust. I haven't tested them out any further than 15 yards or so. Most of the shooting I do is less than 15 anyway. They are not super accurate but they get the job done on a defensive standpoint.

·
Registered
99 Posts
therooster said:
just to let you know the 24/7's are a "point of aim" sight picture, whereas the stock sights on the XD (and most other sights made) are a "6 O'clock" sight picture..
Hello, Newbie, here. Sorry to ask a little off topic question, but...

I think that the booklet that came with my XD said "XD uses '6 O'clock' sight picture @ 25 yards." (I don't have the booklet w/ me right now.) Does that mean you'd use different sight picture for 15 yards or 7 yards? :?:

"6 O'Clock" sight picture means you align the sights under where you're aiming, right? (since the center circles in the pic is not exactly in the middle of the pic...)

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Sidetracker said:
Could someone enlighten me on what TFO stands for? Thanks,
Sidetracker
T Tritium f fiber o optic
That is an abbreviation for tru-glows sights it has a fiber optic tube(Gathers light to make it brighter and it also has a tritium capsule (Glowing nuclear waste)Behind it to make it glow in no light conditions

1 - 19 of 19 Posts