Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the XD Talk forum. I have been running a Glock 34 and before that a 1911 in IDPA and USPSA matches locally.

The new XDM 5.25 looks like a great competition pistol and I want to give it a try. Here is the catch, I live in California. Now I can get a XDM 5.25 thanks to the "Single Shot Conversion" process and take possession of the mags as long as they are not assembled. But the way California law reads its a Felony to assemble the mags unless I limit them to 10 rounds using rivets and epoxy. Here is one attempt by another guy: XD(M) Magazines I think what he is doing would work OK but as I read the law a rivet needs to be involved.

I'm looking for ideas on how to limit the mags to 10 rounds, still be able to take them apart for cleaning and stay out of the California Penal System.

I'm not moving out of state anytime soon so that's not an option:)

Springfield does not make a 10 round mag for the 9mm XDM. The XD .45 mag will fit the XDM .45. Do any of the XD .45 owners with 10 round mags know how Springfield limits them to 10 rounds? Is it applicable to 9mm XDM mags?

I appreciate any help with this. If I can find a way to modify the mags to 10 rounders I will get the XDM, otherwise I will stick with the Glock or some other platform with mags available.

Thanks,
Keith

·
Registered
786 Posts
Just sell or trade them for 10 round XDm mags

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Not to drive you away, but some of your state gun forums like calguns probably have ready information on this. There are also several CA FFL's that do legal 10rnd conversions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Watch out for the insane multitude of gun laws here in Cali. I was looking to get an XDm, but they aren't on the approved list--they don't have a magazine disconnect, I think. Even with 10-round magazines, they are law enforcement only.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just read this in another thread. Found XDM 10 round mags
I visited that shop. The shop is great and they sell XDM's and other pistols through the single shot conversion process.

The issue is that the way they rivet the mag in place you cannot take it apart to clean it. Not good for an action pistol competitor who drops his mags in the dirt and sometimes mud.

I'm going to pass on the XDM for now and hope Springfield will build some 10 round mags for it.

Keith

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm pretty sure there is a big profit for SpringField Armory if they will make XD(M) California legal! ... Hundreds of Kalifornian (like me) are so wanting to get one of this ...WHY NOT make one CALIFORNIA LEGAL

·
Registered
592 Posts
The "Home Depot" method from vapor trails works great. I recommend it if you have plenty of time to burn and need to save pennies.

IMHO, the easiest way that's still somewhat inexpensive, however, is the Gen 2 kit from EBR Works. It's just one piece of plastic you epoxy to the baseplate of your mag -- done. The piece goes up the center of your mag spring, so it doesn't affect the operation of your mag spring at all. When the follower gets down far enough (the insert is pre-sized), it stops on the plastic piece, and can accept no more rounds.
Simple, lightweight, effective. And, unlike riveted mags, you can still open them up and clean the inside, for example, after you drop them in the dirt 100 times at USPSA / IDPA matches!

Epoxying it in place is widely considered to meet the legal requirement of permanence (and whoever posted saying riveting is required is wrong). The wording of the law only says "permanent" - it does not give a method, so for full disclosure, you might epoxy & rivet the damn magazine and still be found guilty by a jury of morons. The DOJ has not issued any clarifications -- they're happy with the vague wording, so we're all "on our own" thanks to those useless douchebags.

Lastly, I now know 3 different people who have purchased the Tracy Rifle and Pistol pre-fab mags (+ one guy on this forum who I don't know but had the same issue). NONE of them can get 10 rounds in ANY of the mags they purchased from Tracy Rifle and Pistol.
At this point, I would say do not buy their pre-fab mags, but it's up to you. By all accounts they are otherwise an excellent store...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts