Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, wish to purchase a firearm in another state from a private individual.

What is the best way to conduct the transaction to ensure neither party is taken advantage of?

Can FFL dealer in seller state hold funds in some kind of escrow status until firearm is received and inspected by buyer FFL?

Advice appreciated.

-bill

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
IMO I would not touch an out of state gun sale dealing with an individual. To many chances of getting screwed for my money worth. In this transaction you have the seller, the seller FFL, you and your FFL. Something goes wrong and who is going to back up the deal? My FFL will not accept transfers from an individual either. It has to come from an FFL on sellers end for my FFL to transfer it.
I don't buy guns from individuals even on Gunbroker or Gunsamerica let alone on Armslist. I have sold many guns on Armslist but it was always in person and I had copy of their dl.
You might think you are getting a good deal that could turn to crap getting flushed real quick.
I have done three expensive buys and all three were misrepresented. The last one, and I mean the LAST ONE, I declined the buy when I found out the guys ad was misrepresented to the max. I was threatened with a no buy but I didn't care because I wasn't going to get screwed. In the end seller reporting me as a no buy and my seller report were both dropped.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have experience with that website. We both drove 2 hours each and met in the middle at a FFL.. My advice would be to stay in-state. I like doing face to face stuff with firearms.
Completely up to you though, of course.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Seller sends the gun to your FFL, who inspects it. After he's verified it's ok, you send the money. The seller should trust an FFL.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I wouldn't do an out of state on Armslist, only an instate and FTF.
Same for Texasguntrader.com.
But I've bought and sold over 15 fireams on Gunbroker, many of them out of state and I've never had a problem.

I just sold a Gen 1 G17 to a guy in Virginia.
I'm dropping it off at my FFL at 10:30 to be shipped...

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
I wouldn't do an out of state on Armslist, only an instate and FTF.
Same for Texasguntrader.com.
But I've bought and sold over 15 fireams on Gunbroker, many of them out of state and I've never had a problem.

I just sold a Gen 1 G17 to a guy in Virginia.
I'm dropping it off at my FFL at 10:30 to be shipped...
1LL, how did you sell your G17 to a guy in Virginia? On Gunbroker?

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Seller sends the gun to your FFL, who inspects it. After he's verified it's ok, you send the money. The seller should trust an FFL.
You'd be a fool to send a gun and hope someone is going to pay for it.
It is VERY unlikely that you will find a seller that will to deal that way.

1LL, how did you sell your G17 to a guy in Virginia? On Gunbroker?
I put it up for auction and he won it..

Gen 1 Glock 17 : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

I'll either accept a USPS money order or discreet Paypal for payment.
He paid me with PayPal yesterday, he also emailed me his FFL info Saturday.
So yesterday I packed it up and got it ready to ship, but didn't seal it, then take it to my FFL today at 10:30.
My FFL fills out his forms, inspects the gun (serial number, etc..), then he seals it up, takes to the Post Office, and ships it Priority mail to the buyers FFL.
This time the buyer actually has his own FFL..

I sold a P229 SAS to a guy in Minnesota a few years ago.

I would never deter someone from using Gunbroker, one just has to do their homework.
Research your seller: look and read at their feedback, see if they have any and how many other auctions going.
I've also found the majority, but not all, of the sellers on Gunbroker are FFLs.
Many of them are dealers, gun stores, or pawn shops, but some are individuals that have their own FFL connections.

I found a deal on Gen 3 G33, but the guy only had 2 feedbacks, so I passed on it.
He was probably on the up and up, but I kept looking.
I'm glad I did because I found a Gen 2.5 G33 instead.
I'm picking it up today from my FFL when I drop off the G17.

Gunbroker was the only way I found 4 West German Sig pistols, 4 Gen 2 or Gen 2.5 Glocks.

Armslist is too much like Craigslist, as is texasguntrader.
On Gunbroker, sellers have a reputation they need to keep clean, in order to use GB at all.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
You'd be a fool to send a gun and hope someone is going to pay for it.
It is VERY unlikely that you will find a seller that will to deal that way.

I put it up for auction and he won it..

Gen 1 Glock 17 : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

I'll either accept a USPS money order or discreet Paypal for payment.
He paid me with PayPal yesterday, he also emailed me his FFL info Saturday.
So yesterday I packed it up and got it ready to ship, but didn't seal it, then take it to my FFL today at 10:30.
My FFL fills out his forms, inspects the gun (serial number, etc..), then he seals it up, takes to the Post Office, and ships it Priority mail to the buyers FFL.
This time the buyer actually has his own FFL..

I sold a P229 SAS to a guy in Minnesota a few years ago.

I would never deter someone from using Gunbroker, one just has to do their homework.
Research your seller: look and read at their feedback, see if they have any and how many other auctions going.
I've also found the majority, but not all, of the sellers on Gunbroker are FFLs.
Many of them are dealers, gun stores, or pawn shops, but some are individuals that have their own FFL connections.

I found a deal on Gen 3 G33, but the guy only had 2 feedbacks, so I passed on it.
He was probably on the up and up, but I kept looking.
I'm glad I did because I found a Gen 2.5 G33 instead.
I'm picking it up today from my FFL when I drop off the G17.

Gunbroker was the only way I found 4 West German Sig pistols, 4 Gen 2 or Gen 2.5 Glocks.

Armslist is too much like Craigslist, as is texasguntrader.
On Gunbroker, sellers have a reputation they need to keep clean, in order to use GB at all.
Thanks man.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Never happen with ME selling a gun.

To the OP, I personally don't trust Armslist (the Craigslist of the gun world). Gunbroker is a lot better place to buy and sell guns online to and from any state. I have many transactions, with not one slight hiccup on GB. I've seen scam after scam after scam on Armslist.

·
Administrator
17,192 Posts
I have bought two used firearms, and yes I searched on Armslist... but just way too sketchy for me. At the end, I was only looking for local guns. I would have met in my State, but that is it. Nothing good enough out of state for me to justify the risk.... and if it was good enough... I didn't trust it. :)

I bought one off Guns America, and won one on Gun Broker. Both were obviously dealers. Had tons of feedback and history. Great prices too, and there was no problems at all with transaction. It does not get any easier than that. There is just no point for anything more risky than that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts