Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I give up on the search feature. That is another thread.

Got my XD, FINALLY, another long thread as well. Have heard two basic schools of thought on best way to break it in. Some say just shoot the thing and others say to break it in like you would a rifle. Any merit to the latter school of thought?

Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
409 Posts
did any one say shoot?

I polished too.... cleaned all the burrs off on the trigger guard and the trigger plastic saftey.

oiled, and shot more.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I would suggest starting with a single brand of "better quality" factory ammunition. WWB 124gr. is fine IMO.

Shoot 400 rounds. If you don't have a single malfunction.. you have a winner! And now you should start mixing up rounds to find the one you want to carry.

If you do have a malfunction, then contact SA and find out what the problem is. They are very helpful.

Raymond

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
XD BACKUP GUN said:
Shoot.
Clean.
Shoot.
Clean.
You get the idea!
Well.. I don't think you really need to clean your pistol between each shot.. (that is a little bit obsessive/compulsive IMO.) Maybe clean every hundred shots.. that would probably be wise.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
Ummm, I might be going out on a limb here...but I would suggest shooting that pistola!

Seriously, Captain Ray hit it right on...if you are going to use it for more than a range gun, you will need to select your personal defense ammo. After you have run a couple hundred rounds of ball ammo through it, begin to run the ammo you will use for your defensive round. After 100 trouble free rounds or so, you are pretty much guaranteed that it will work with that ammo from then on.

What is the process for breaking in a rifle? I was unaware there was a break in for them.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Captain Ray said:
XD BACKUP GUN said:
Shoot.
Clean.
Shoot.
Clean.
You get the idea!
Well.. I don't think you really need to clean your pistol between each shot.. (that is a little bit obsessive/compulsive IMO.) Maybe clean every hundred shots.. that would probably be wise.

Raymond

Raymond,
You know what I mean by shoot!
Multiple Shots!
:D

·
Registered
285 Posts
I agree with most of the posters. Just enjoy shooting it for about 200 rounds and then clean it. Repeat and try not to wear a s___ eating grin while doing so. :roll:

You're going to love your XD!

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is a "close" vote, but I THINK you are saying I should SHOOT the XD as much as I can. Correct? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some people break in a rifle by doing the shoot and clean thing. On one of the gun shows tonight, they were saying to shoot a single round then clean the barrel with a brass brush about six times. Do this for the first 5 shots. Then, do the same thing, except shoot five rounds between cleanings and do this five times. Total of 30 shots. Suppose to make the rifle more accurate. From what I got out of the segment, it keeps the barrel cleaner or less prone to getting fouled with lead, etc. Did not say how this was accomplished. Maybe someone who is knows rifles can fill us in.

SO, you guys thing I should just shoot the XD, right???:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
yeah.. I would say shoot it...

Raymond

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang.
Next mag.
bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang.
Next mag.

ad nauseum.

There are some strange views for breaking in rifles. Pretty much it seems the goal there is to burnish down machining marks to smooth out the bore. I don't see where that has to be the first thing you do. Shoot the crap out of it and grin from ear-to ear then "break it in" later if you want. Some barrel makers argue that the rigid break-in procedure just means that you wear your barrel out faster.

My buddy has bought some new rifles and never "breaks them in". He is a damn good shot and just by testing reloads can get about 0.5 MOA out of a new barrel. He also outshoots me with pistol no matter what I do.

The other variables in a semi-auto pistol that far outweigh the barrel/bore influence for accuracy. Work those out first, and by then you will be so many shots into it that the barrel wear or break-in is a non-issue. :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
Call it "maggot" and make it do push ups. Don't forget to run an obstacle course while wearing it. Or somehow cycle the slide 500 times.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Eagle1 said:
It is a "close" vote, but I THINK you are saying I should SHOOT the XD as much as I can. Correct? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some people break in a rifle by doing the shoot and clean thing. On one of the gun shows tonight, they were saying to shoot a single round then clean the barrel with a brass brush about six times. Do this for the first 5 shots. Then, do the same thing, except shoot five rounds between cleanings and do this five times. Total of 30 shots. Suppose to make the rifle more accurate. From what I got out of the segment, it keeps the barrel cleaner or less prone to getting fouled with lead, etc. Did not say how this was accomplished. Maybe someone who is knows rifles can fill us in.

Unless you plan to shoot benchrest matches with your XD, I wouldn't worry about the shoot and clean thing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Eagle1 said:

The guy's that do that with their rifles are mostly target shooter's, varmit shooters' with their heavy barrels'. I did the same thing with my custom target barrel on my mini-14. What they are doing is polishing and smoothing the rifleing with out heating the barrel up to much. Putting a rod through it every 5 rounds your taking the small stuff that would come losse. They do have bullets or some compound they can put on their reloads or bullet's to do the same thing but a little faster. My opinon is you don't need to do that on regular rifles. Pistol's I never did that and still can put 5 rounds in the ten ring at 25 yards. Now that was when I was young and a long time ago and into target shooting. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts