Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sent my XDM OSP 10mm to PRP for all the goodies. My question is what trigger weight are you guys using. I specified 4 pounds (I always thought you wanted about 4.5” for a non safety carry gun) but I can go down to 3# I think for the carry trigger. Thinking I should maybe go down to 3.5#’s. Going to be a woods/nightstand also winter carry gun. I also will do plenty of target shooting with it. What do you guys prefer and why?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I have some pistols with very light triggers. IMO I don't carry anything with less than 4#. I a stress situation the extra pull won't matter. For bullseye type shooting it matters but for IDPA type shooting a smooth clean pull is the most important.Dry fire until you know the trigger.

Reactions: .45fan

·
Registered
217 Posts
Working gun + winter gloves? With the trigger travel of an XDM even with a PRP trigger 4# should be safe but still enjoyable.
Mine has the same mission and is at 4 3/4#.

·
Premium Member
127,171 Posts
It depends on the pistol, but generally 4#, certainly no lower.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
A nice trigger is nice. It can be nice and not be a low pull weight. I recently installed an Apex trigger kit in a 2.0 M&P. It is an awesome trigger now. Better than any other striker fired pistol I have and better than some of the hammer fired pistols I have.

But it didn't do a darn thing for making the groups smaller. Took an Apex fitted barrel to accomplish that. And even then, it's at the bottom end of acceptable with one particular load.

I have a couple FNS pistols, .40's. Compared to many guns the triggers would be rated terrible. Around 6 lbs. or so pull required to get them to release the strike. Long initial trigger pull on that first shot (and any shot after than if you don't manage the reset and next trigger pull.) But the darn thing shoots as good as the M&P 2.0 with the Apex trigger kit and barrel.

Learning to manage/work with your trigger can go a long ways towards shrinking groups.

Having said all that, I do have an XD 5" Tactical .45 I put a partial PRP trigger kit in. Made the trigger much nicer. I think it's around 4.5 lbs. now. I plan to drag it out of the safe next week and do a side by side with an M&P 2.0 .45 that seems to shoot pretty good groups, in spite of being an M&P.

·
Premium Member
15,622 Posts
What's the point of lowering you trigger weight? There is nothing wrong with a good heavy trigger. Learn your trigger. A lighter trigger will shoot good, but getting a lighter trigger to make up for poor mechanics isn't good.

And trigger weight isn't dependent on a safety. 5 lbs isn't going to keep you from shooting yourself. DA/SA pistols with 9 lb DA pulls have safeties. 5 lbs "might" keep you from having a ND. Light triggers with adrenalin can certainly make you double tap unintentionally.

There is no magic to 4, or 4.7, or 5. A light trigger is below 4. A light trigger on a defensive carry is not good or necessary. 4.5 is good. I probably could tell if it was 4 or 5... And on a good trigger with no grit/staking and a clean break, it wouldn't matter.

I am perfectly comfortable and very Acurate with my 7 lb DA triggers. The only trigger that I ever shot that was so heavy you couldn't shoot straight was a S&W sigma(?) that was at 13 lbs.

·
Registered
29,606 Posts
My carry 1911 is 4.25 pounds, by design.

I don’t find it limiting in any way.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
I honestly don't care either way. :)

The problem with negligent discharges and unintended shootings is a combined lack of ingrained safe weapons manipulation/handling and lack of familiarity with the trigger path.

One could certainly suggest that a too-light trigger may cause an unintentional discharge if one's finger is on the trigger, but the actual problem there is two-fold:

First, why was the shooter's finger on the trigger if they did not intend to shoot (this can also be traced to trigger-path affirmation for those shooters who are capable of keeping their finger off the trigger during training/practice, but actually have not achieved sufficient stress-inoculation and/or mastery of skills)?

Second - and this is if someone/something that was not the intended target was injured or hit - why did the weapon's muzzle coincide with that person/thing. This includes backdrop considerations as well, for-instance, the recent police shooting of innocent commuters in the UPS-truck carjacking incident), if they were not the intended target?

One could also argue that too heavy a trigger may cause the shooter to pull the gun off the target during their attempt to complete the trigger path. This is often cited as the problem with the triggers fitted to the NYPD's Glocks and the resultant bloodshed we saw of innocent bystanders, but here, the truth is that this simply points to a lack of sufficient familiarity with the trigger path (i.e. "how much finger" is required to get the job done), with folks such as Earnest Langdon and Mike Pannone routinely demonstrating that even the often excessively heavy and long travels seen in various duty weapons have no bearing with running the gun either fast or accurately.

The trigger is the trigger.

Don't get on it until you mean to shoot.

Be intimately familiar with its path and characteristics.

Keep in mind the usual safety considerations, aka The 4 Rules - of which folks like Ken Hackathorn even notes that in the real-world, sometimes, bad things happen and we do end up violating EITHER trigger discipline OR muzzle awareness....but cautions sternly that to violate both simultaneously is a sure recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I understand that a light trigger weight doesn’t necessarily mean a great trigger. I have had super light # pound timney triggers that you wouldn’t want to carry with. My PPQ has a phenomenal “Duty” trigger from factory. Since it’s being sent to PRP to get a fitted trigger kit I have total control of the poundage. I think I’ll stay with my initial instinct keep it at 4 pounds. It is nice to have a slightly lighter trigger matched with less creep and quick reset. Thanks to everyone who responded.

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
+1 for poundage.

·
Registered
29,606 Posts
I understand that a light trigger weight doesn’t necessarily mean a great trigger. I have had super light # pound timney triggers that you wouldn’t want to carry with. My PPQ has a phenomenal “Duty” trigger from factory. Since it’s being sent to PRP to get a fitted trigger kit I have total control of the poundage. I think I’ll stay with my initial instinct keep it at 4 pounds. It is nice to have a slightly lighter trigger matched with less creep and quick reset. Thanks to everyone who responded.
1FB619B3-CB38-4851-8A50-06068D77BCD0.jpeg

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I have some pistols with very light triggers. IMO I don't carry anything with less than 4#. I a stress situation the extra pull won't matter. For bullseye type shooting it matters but for IDPA type shooting a smooth clean pull is the most important.Dry fire until you know the trigger.
Yep. For Bullseye Pistol

CMP EIC service pistol minimum is 4 lbs
NRA 45 is 3.5 lbs
NRA CF is 2.5 lbs

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I can’t find a minimum trigger weight for IDPA. Weight of the pistol, magazines and dimensions are there. This may not be accurate. Of the two it looks like Bullseye is the only one with a minimum if I read right. And service pistol relatively heavy at 4 lbs.

I don’t compete in IDPA so happy to be corrected.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I can’t find a minimum trigger weight for IDPA. Weight of the pistol, magazines and dimensions are there. This may not be accurate. Of the two it looks like Bullseye is the only one with a minimum if I read right. And service pistol relatively heavy at 4 lbs.

I don’t compete in IDPA so happy to be corrected.
I was not saying it was a rule. Just a general guide. I used to shoot a lot of IDPA and have one pistol that is ~3# and several that are ~4.5#. It doesn't make much difference for IDPA type shooting. I also have a HD standard 22lr that has a 1.5# trigger.

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
I do have an XD 5" Tactical .45 I put a partial PRP trigger kit in. Made the trigger much nicer. I think it's around 4.5 lbs
Which kit (and which parts) did you use?
I've been thinking about the drop-in XDm kit for my big .40... my newer 9mm 3.8c already has a marginally better pull than the older model, but may get one too.

There's a lot of conflicting testimony concerning various spring, which to use, which to leave out, etc. Like a lot of folks, I'm not too interested in reducing poundage or travel as much as just slicking it up a bit for a more consistent press.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I keep my carry guns as stock as possible, when it comes to the trigger. Some smoothing, new sights, grips, maybe a barrel, for me are fine, but the triggers are stock.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
PRP™ EXTREME Trigger Kit for XD 9/40

I mentioned a "partial kit." This was due to a mistake in the PRP description for this kit at that time. It didn't mention, then, that the kit did not work in those XD .45's with the thumb safety.

I bought the kit, got into the installation and had issues. I started stoning on the sides of the striker lifting bar and ejector trying to both polish and improve clearances (which were very tight). I couldn't get one part to fit/work at all and contacted PRP. They got back to me within a couple hrs. and realized my pistol was the thumb safety model and they told me the kit wasn't for that pistol. I told them it didn't mention that in the description and they said that information should be there and was left out by error.

They offered to refund my money when I shipped the kit back. I told them I'd modified some of the parts (polishing/stoning and fitted the trigger - over travel adjustment). They told me they'd refund my money anyway - and they did.

PRP is top notch. I would order from them again (and did, for another pistol a few weeks later).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts