Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a recently new AR-15 owner. The best shot I ever made with an AR-15 was many years ago firing my cousin's Colt HBAR A2 rifle. We were at a friend's farm and were shooting handguns. My cousin took a fresh paper target, taped it to a thin aluminum plate, and nailed it to a tree. The distance was not that far, 50-60 yards. He offered to let me fire his Colt HBAR, this being the first time I had ever fired an AR-15.

Using a sitting stance, feet apart, elbows inside the knees, and support arm braced by the sling, I took aim with the carry handle A2 peep sight. This is a very steady hunting stance I read about in Outdoor Life magazine. However, because I was sitting that low, the tall grass was blowing in the gentle wind across my line of sight, and the target was coming into and out of view as I aimed at the barely seen bull's eye, Zen-style. I fired three slow shots, made the gun safe, and we walked up to the tree to inspect the target (no spotting scope).

There was one small hole dead center on the bull's eye. "Looks like you hit the paper with one of those shots," my cousin said.

He peeled up the paper and one the metal plate was an extremely tight three shot clover leaf. "Damn!" my cousin said. It was my Davy Crockett moment.

I knew enough to stop shooting after only three shots. I knew I couldn't do any better than that.

P.S. No gruesome war stories please

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
The best shot I ever made was with a AR-15. We were at a friends house just shooting whatever when we got the idea to shoot 20oz sofa plastic bottles filled with water and cap on. They were about 75 yards away and we were shooting them with 30-30, 30-06, 8mm, and so on. Well we were just messing around and he was trying to shoot just the cap off. He was hitting the cap but also the bottles and they were going all over the place. When we were about done I picked up my AR-15 with no scope or anything, and shot the cap off and that was it, the bottle was still standing and no water spilled. We just looked at each other like how the hell did I do that. We were kicking out self for not filming it. Now when we shoot stuff like that we are always filming it for the next great impossible shot.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
3 shots, 100 yards, mostly luck. :lol:

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Not sure about AR-15 shots, but I once shot a turtles head (poking out of the water, size of my thumb) from approx 55 yards with a Colt .22 pistol while standing on the dam of pond in a stiff breeze. I never saw the shot hit but all 3 of the other guys with me said the turtle head exploded on impact. Ever since then I've been known as the best shot in the land, whatever in the F that means lol.

Anyway, I've been told numerous times that I'm a dead eye shot but I suppose even a cripple has his uses at times.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Oh, I've made so many good ones I wouldn't even know where to start. :cool:

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Skunk at 508 yards as confirmed by a Leica LRF1200. Rifle was a "homemade" AR-15 with a 24" bull barrel, with a Springfield Armory BDC scope, shooting prone from a Harris bipod with 69gr SMK reloads. A buddy of mine spotted it when we were shooting steel plates at 600 yards. It was a calm morning for wind and about 60 degrees.

Since he spotted it, I let my buddy take the first shots with his Remington Sendero .300WM while I spotted. I figured he'd nail it so I jokingly said I'll give you three shots and then its mine, which we both laughed about later. The first was several feet high (I don't think he adjusted his scope from shooting at 600), the second looked about a foot high and the third was about a foot low in the dirt in front of the skunk, but enough to scare the skunk half to death who ran away from that position. We switched positions and re-ranged the skunk who had moved toward us some during the swicth off and after being starled by a 190gr "thud" just in front of him (stupid skunk). The skunk had moved toward our left and come in to 508 yards according to the rangefinder, I took one shot and balled him up like an armadillo. My buddy just started screaming and laughing while I layed there looking through my scope with a grin the size of Texas somewhat amazed that I actually hit the little bugger!! 12" steel plates are one thing, but skunks are another!! Unfortnately, since then, that rifle has become known as the minute-of-skunk rifle and even sported a Peppy la Peu (sp? - skunk from Looney Toons) sticker on the stock for a while that my buddy cristened the rifle with a few weeks later.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Standard Military Issue M16A2.

Shot 241 out of 250 on the standard USMC course of fire. November 1978.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I havent made any awesome shots with my AR but i did stay at a Holiay Inn Express once...

Shot a beer bottle at 100 yards with a Browning buckmark.
Shot a turkey out of the air with a .50 muzzle loader
Shot a birt at 75 yards with a Browning buckmark
Head shot a deer at 75 yards with a muzzle loader
Shot a deer at 200 yards with a 12 ga slug (scoped)
Shot the primer out of a shotgun shell at 25 yards (prone)

Cant say I could remake all the shots but some just happen and stick with you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mine was the very first shot I took. Don't remember where I hit, but the shear thrill of firing my first AR for the first time was what made it the BEST.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
20" bull barrel DPMS, 3 shots @ 100 yards, less than 1/4" center to center. Surprisingly shot with 55 gr American Eagle. I sold the AR earlier this year. Still my best 100 yard group.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Only shot an AR once and I don't remember any spectacular shots with it.

But the best shot I've ever made was with my Walther P22. We were out shooting clays and I had a buddy toss one up in the air at about 15 yds. I shattered it with one shot about 5 feet off the ground. He said, "I bet you can't do that again." I said, "I bet I can't either." He tossed a second one and I shattered it about 3 feet off the ground with one shot.

Those are the only two good shots I really remember.

I also shot a dirt clod out of the air with my dad's SKS when I was 14.

joe

·
Registered
639 Posts
5th grade. Crossman 760 PumpMaster.

Hummingbird en route to Mom's feeder, .177 field point center mass (if you can claim they have mass). I had to hide the evidence before she found out, tossed it into a pile of wood. I kinda feel bad for the little guy, taught me a lesson I suppose more about life/death than shooting.

·
Registered
296 Posts
5th grade. Crossman 760 PumpMaster.

Hummingbird en route to Mom's feeder, .177 field point center mass (if you can claim they have mass). I had to hide the evidence before she found out, tossed it into a pile of wood. I kinda feel bad for the little guy, taught me a lesson I suppose more about life/death than shooting.
This reminds me of two "bird kills" that I did. Once as a 10 yr old kid I fired my Benjamin .22 air rifle at a starling from about 100 yards away. The bird was sitting up on a power wire. I had pumped the rifle up and was walking out to shoot and spotted the starling. On a whim I snapped the rifle up to the shoulder and cracked it off. I stood in awe as I watched the bird puff up and fall from the wire squawking all the way down to the ground. Looking back I can't imagine that the pointed pellet would have had much energy left at that range...but it was enough to wack the little starling.

Second story was about 20 yrs later. A friend and I were walking up a very remote logging road to a shooting spot. We had driven in about 5 miles and we were hoofing it in the last 1/4 mile. While walking we were listening to this crow up in the top of a tree....yelling at us. We had walked a while and the stinking crow would fly to the next tree yelling the whole way as we progressed. My buddy said "Hey Mac....why don't you shoot that sumbitch?" I rolled my shoulder out of my sling and charged the Bushmaster. I snapped it to my shoulder just like 20 years before...and fired. That crow exploded in a shower of feathers. AGain...I stood in awe...as did my buddy. I never figured I would hit him. He was a good 100 feet up in the tree...prolly 125 yards total distance away... a freak shot.

Nowadays ...I don't shoot at birds that I don't want dead. I seem to have better luck shooting birds with rifles than with shot guns. Funny thing is that the same buddy was with me while duck hunting on year...I missed a duck from about 20 yards. He has never let that die.....Whats the matter...can't kill a duck...Need to get another AR...?

Cheers
Mac.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Standard Military Issue M16A2.

Shot 241 out of 250 on the standard USMC course of fire. November 1978.
Semper Fi

I fired a 247 (Set the range record in Okinawa). Also guys remember, Marines fire the M16 (AR15 Civilian Version) at 500 yards... The weapon is accurate to 500 yards... believe me... I'm a retired scout sniper and I'll take an AR any day of the week.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Semper Fi

I fired a 247 (Set the range record in Okinawa). Also guys remember, Marines fire the M16 (AR15 Civilian Version) at 500 yards... The weapon is accurate to 500 yards... believe me... I'm a retired scout sniper and I'll take an AR any day of the week.
The range at Camp Pendleton is actually 500 meters.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The range at Camp Pendleton is actually 500 meters.
Are there some undertones in there that only the spoken word can convey? :p

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
bb gun at young age shooting in the air? ok

AR 20 some years later up in the air? Not ok. :-(

·
Registered
709 Posts
Best shot (or spray) with my AR was sighting in a 100 yds. I was sighting in the rifle's iron sights we had had the target that lights up green when hit on the target and my friend screwed with the sights before I picked it up, anyways first shot I aimed at the center of the target squeezed the trigger and the target lit up my buddy laughed I looked at my rear sight and it was set at 800yds for the elevation, the bullet hit the metal hanger above the target and the bullet basically turned into shrapnel and tore the target a part. to me my best "shot" but it was an accident.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I got my first AR a few years ago. It is a High Standard HSA-15 in 5.56. After practicing with it for a couple months, one of my college buddies and I went to a local range to shoot. After a bit, all we had was 100 rds of 223 left, so we decided to have a little shoot-off. He had his for quite some time and has shot more with it. We decided since we both had iron sights and it was late in the afternoon with failing light, we would shoot from 50 yds. We set up prone right next to each other with 4 targets set up 50 yds away, 2 for each of us. What happened next amazed both of us. From 50 yds, I managed to outshoot him 4 out 5 sets. We went in 10 round sets, so we had 5 sets. I was quite please with myself and he was in shock that someone who was shooting much less than he was was able to out score him. I knew he felt like his pride was hurt, but we went to the bar afterward and all was forgotten and replaced with headaches the next morning.

So far, best I ever shot. It was't a bullseye everytime, but just a friendly competition against someone more experienced than me.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts