Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my future wife has told me that she wants to buy me a gun for my wedding gift so I now have a decision to make. She has set a budget of $300 and I have been looking mostly at .22's.

So far I have found that I am prefering wood stock Remington 597 and Marlin 60 series. Also of course a Ruger 10/22 is always an option as well as other caliber rifles although cheap ammo is always a plus.

So I am looking for some suggestions from all of you. I am open to all suggestions and am sure I will get all different types of guns. I am looking forward to it. :D

EDIT: I guess I should have mentioned the only other long gun I own at the moment is a Remington 870.... thanks again

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Get a 10/22 (I like the WalMart 22" barrel model) and a decent optic, throw in a case and you arrive right at your $300 limit!

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
I have a marlin model 60 and love it. It has been reliable as well as super accurate. It can be had for WELL under your' $300 limit.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
I'd say a 10/22 if you're looking for a semi-auto .22LR. If you're looking for a .22LR bolt-rifle I recommend a Savage Mark II.

ALso for <300 you can find many surplus and or imported rifles so you may want to consider that. (e.g. Mosin Nagant, Yugo SKS, .223 saiga, etc) So you've actually got quite a few options whether you want to stick to a .22LR or not.

·
Registered
229 Posts
if u have a 22 plinker all ready. grab u an sks and some stripper clips ammo and plink away.

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
Marlin 60 for semi-auto, Savage Mark II for bolt action... have both, both are super accurate. Can add a decent Nikon scope for $100 or less (I've gotten 'em for $75 or so on eBay).

Another option... I just recently picked up a Winchester Wildcat ( TOZ-78 ) for $149 new... gone brain dead, can't remember the vendor, but even after S&H and FFL, was around $220.

If you want more than a .22LR, Mosin-Nagants are all over the place for anywhere from ~$75 on up, depending on condition and accessories.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
My vote goes for the 10/22... For $300 you can get the gun and for another $300 you can make it look like this...

You cant beat the 10/22 for aftermarket support and customizability. Period.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I like my Remington 597, but secretly wish it was a 10/22

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Or if you get a 10/22 you can make it look like this for about another $250

How much was that elephant quadpod w/ tusk stabilizers. Love it! HaHaHa!

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
I didn't know the 10/22 was an elephant gun!!!

Or if you get a 10/22 you can make it look like this for about another $250

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a Remington 597. I hate my 597! The gun shoots like to tomorrow; however, the extractor sucks and you cannot find anything aftermarket. I vote 10/22, reliable forever.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
If you aren't stuck on .22 look at an SKS.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
If you aren't stuck on .22 look at an SKS.
Agreed! The .22LR is a fun round, no doubt, but $300 can fetch you a decent SKS and ~500 rounds of ammo to start off with. I've been shooting a LOT of 7.62x39 lately b/c the ammo is the same price as 9mm. The SKS may be an ugly rifle, but it has a lot of redeeming qualities. With that being said, lately I've been shooting a lot of .22 also. :neutral:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys lots of great replies and I especially like the elephant gun :p

So after seeing a couple pics of 10/22's that probably seems like the logical choice as far as popularity and availability of parts. Then again since when has logic ever come into play when buying guns. :D

I will also keep an eye out for a nice SKS when I head to the shop tomorrow and see what I can find.

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
I'm a sucker for bolt action .22s, but that might be just me.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm a sucker for bolt action .22s, but that might be just me.
I am like you and if I can find one for the right price I might just get a Savage MkII. I am not really a tactical type of guy, I just want a nice plinker with some nice looking furniture.:D

·
Registered
18,709 Posts
If you can find one, the Marlin 81-DL is a fantastic rifle that no one seems to want. I've seen them for $75. I have one from pre-WWII and love it. Also, see if you can find a Winchester Model 75. Phenomenal rifle, but I doubt you'll find one at that price.

If you want a real nice shooter with a fantastic trigger and excellent accuracy, check out the Swiss K31. You should be able to get a good one with matching numbers in great shape with an ID tag from the soldier it was issued to for under $275 after FFL fee.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
IF IF IF you are a tinkerer ( I don't have the time anymore ) I think the 597 has a lot of potential. If you are into easy aftermarket mods the 10/22 is the AR of 22s, you can make it into about anything for the $$$.
But if you are looking for accuracy in a 22 a Marlin 60 series is darn hard to beat.
My Glenfield 65 ( made by Marlin ) 40+ years old and still shoots the lights out.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts