Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mornin fellas, I am searching for a quality .45 not sure of what one yet but I want a single stack .45 acp that is lightweight and easily concealable. Not a custom 1911 that breaks the bank. To give you an idea, I started this quest after checking out the Glock 36, quite a slim little pocket cannon.

I carry my XDSC .40 daily but am always out there looking for more as most of us are. I looked at the Kahr but it felt too cheap. I am thinking of something in the $500-$900 range.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Mornin fellas, I am searching for a quality .45 not sure of what one yet but I want a single stack .45 acp that is lightweight and easily concealable. Not a custom 1911 that breaks the bank. To give you an idea, I started this quest after checking out the Glock 36, quite a slim little pocket cannon.

I carry my XDSC .40 daily but am always out there looking for more as most of us are. I looked at the Kahr but it felt too cheap. I am thinking of something in the $500-$900 range.

Any suggestions?
Look at the Springfield Lightweight operator or lightweight champion operator. Neither gun will fit in your shirt pocket, but both are concealable, easy to carry, and very accurate.

Springfield Armory

Chapie+

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Look at the Springfield Lightweight operator or lightweight champion operator. Neither gun will fit in your shirt pocket, but both are concealable, easy to carry, and very accurate.

Springfield Armory

Chapie+
Check out the Bersa 45.

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
not sure about lightest, but in term of single stack sweetness sig p220.

i never was looking at guns with lightness being a main consideration or a deal breaker, the p220 might be a fat heavy hog compared to something light that never picked my interest.

how are you gonna carry? why is weight so important?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not a big fan of Sigs with their triggers, exposed hammer and weight. It's over 10oz. heavier than a G36. Haven't really checked out the Bersas yet, I may take a look. It's more of a optimum wish list for me, a lightweight single stack .45acp. I carry concealed at 3:00 most of the time, in my Crossbreed. Sometimes in my Fist K2 high ride OWB.

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
so is the g36 the leader, or have you dismissed it for some reason? or is it more or less the leader and your on a quest to see if there is a better value lighter gun out there.

the glock would be near the top of my list. i havent shot the single stack glocks, but they are sweet guns and a tremendous valueacross the lineup.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I carry a Springfield Armory SS Champion in a Comp-Tac IWB at the 3:30 position. Replaced the 7rnd factory mags with 8 round Chip McCormicks. It's not light; it IS dependable, accurate and tough. It hides well under a loose shirt, jacket, sweatshirt or coat.

I'm a cheap, simple guy, I feed it 185grain Winchester Silvertip HPs-it likes them fine.

You can get a similar firearm for a little leg work, through local dealers for about $800.00US (my local Sportsman's Warehouse had one about 3 days ago). I got both of mine through local retail gun shops. I was on the Davidsons gun watch for this firearm for more than 9 months.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No the G36 is at the top of my list right now, just checking out in case I may have missed one. I Love my XDSC .40 but have had issues in the past with the smaller 1911 barrels, under 4". I had an Ultra Compact that had some serious stovepipe and FTE issues, sold it and got the XD when they first came out and have carried the XD exclusively since.

I think the G36 may be the next one after searching shops high and low and getting a feel for some of the options.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
The best .45s in the world are:

1. HK Mark 23
2. Sig P220
3. XD 45 Tactical

The Mk 23 runs around $2,000. The Sig, around $750.

The Sig will outshoot $4,000 custom 1911s all day long, while being as tough as an XD.

·
Registered
29,588 Posts
The best .45s in the world are:

1. HK Mark 23
2. Sig P220
3. XD 45 Tactical

The Mk 23 runs around $2,000. The Sig, around $750.

The Sig will outshoot $4,000 custom 1911s all day long, while being as tough as an XD.
That's almost funny. No, really--the Mk23 and a XD considered comparable. Also--only one of your "top 3" is a single stack, it's definitely not lightweight, and has already been ruled out.

Now--back to the OP...you've pretty much found it with the G36. I also would've tossed out the Sig P245, but since you don't care for Sig's setup, that's out the door.

I've carried a G36 for quite some time, and love it.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
If it is a full size single stack .45 that is easy to conceal, look that the Ruger KP345. Real nice gun that is rugged as all heck. 8+1 rounds, nice and thin, and has rounded countours.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
If it is a full size single stack .45 that is easy to conceal, look that the Ruger KP345. Real nice gun that is rugged as all heck. 8+1 rounds, nice and thin, and has rounded countours.
This would have been my suggestion, but someone beat me to it. My 2nd would have been the Ruger P90 except that it is probably too thick and too heavy for your requirements. I would say to go put your hands on/around the KP345.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How's that Colt Defender to shoot? Any FTE issues? Still wary of short barreled 1911's after my SA UC was such an issue. The Sig and Rugers look great but are still in the 29-30oz. range for weight. Seems like the G36 is the answer. I could spend all day annoying the guys at Sportsmans Warehouse handling every sidearm before I demo one.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
That's almost funny. No, really--the Mk23 and a XD considered comparable. Also--only one of your "top 3" is a single stack, it's definitely not lightweight, and has already been ruled out.

Now--back to the OP...you've pretty much found it with the G36. I also would've tossed out the Sig P245, but since you don't care for Sig's setup, that's out the door.

I've carried a G36 for quite some time, and love it.
I was posting the top three to show that I consider the P220 to be the second best .45 out there, period (EDIT: So if I think it's the second best .45 out there, period, obviously I'd think it was the best single stack), and also to show how highly I think of the XD45 Tac.

I've got a Mk 23, 220, and XD45 Tac, so I'm not just pulling this stuff out of thin air.

Also edited in: Name me a .45 that's better than the XD (other than the Mk 23 and the 220).

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Also, I didn't know that the poster wanted the best cheap single stack, and I answerd accordingly to what the best single stack .45 is.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts