Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first trip to the forum! I've had two XD subcompacts in .40. One in black when they first came out, then one with the olive frame ('cause it looked kewl).
Now I've got the XDM compact in .40 (free ammo from the department!) and love it. I've put probably 2,000 rounds through the gun and am wondering where to get a new recoil spring assembly for it (no problems...just "thinking down the road"). All of the places I've checked seem to carry everything but this part for the XDM.
The only mods I've done to it is add a Pierce floorplate to the 11 rd. mag. I actually like to shoot it with the 16 rd. mag without the grip sleeve. I've put a wraparound piece of Pac skin on the portion of the mag that's exposed between the floorplate and the bottom of the grip. Suits me.
Totally reliable - accurate - comfortable to shoot - what's not to like?

G

·
The link in my post is for the spring. They also sell the guide rods. I don't think they sell them together, but that's what the recoil spring assembly is: spring + guide rod.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'm missing something. The XDM Compact 3.8 has a captive recoil spring and guide rod. Do the guide rods come apart to replace the springs? I was under the assumption the entire unit had to be replaced.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The captive GR comes out, the solid GR and spring go in.
Somewhat related question... So I was just cleaning my 5" tac. and while reassmebling the guide rod got away from me and shot out of the spring across the room. I thought that it was a captive GR, is this going to give me problems now that the GR and spring are two seperate peices? Fuynny I just happened across this thread right after it happened.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Somewhat related question... So I was just cleaning my 5" tac. and while reassmebling the guide rod got away from me and shot out of the spring across the room. I thought that it was a captive GR, is this going to give me problems now that the GR and spring are two seperate peices? Fuynny I just happened across this thread right after it happened.
lol, other than installation it shouldn't. There are less components in the solid GR so theoretically your operations should be smoother in terms of having less mechanical failures...

·
Registered
518 Posts
lol, other than installation it shouldn't. There are less components in the solid GR so theoretically your operations should be smoother in terms of having less mechanical failures...
That's a relief! Note to self: wash hands of oil (and be aware of oil on parts) before assmebly. :?

·
Registered
297 Posts
That's a relief! Note to self: wash hands of oil (and be aware of oil on parts) before assmebly. :?
I tend to manhandle the GR and spring into place. Pushing down on the back end of the GR when its close to the grove on the barrel seems to make install easier than trying to push it further in the hole on the slide (if that makes sense).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts