Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am avid reloader that has always done just long guns. Now with my new XDM 45 I would love to start loading that. Looking for a sub 25 yard load for punching paper with the occasional conceal carry hiking load.

Sent a 100 rounds though it the other day with pretty decent success. It was factory 230 grain UMC. Come winter I may enter into a couple indoor leagues for silhouette but for now it rules just paper.

Ideas on powder, bullet and results would be fantastic.

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I am avid reloader that has always done just long guns. Now with my new XDM 45 I would love to start loading that. Looking for a sub 25 yard load for punching paper with the occasional conceal carry hiking load.

Sent a 100 rounds though it the other day with pretty decent success. It was factory 230 grain UMC. Come winter I may enter into a couple indoor leagues for silhouette but for now it rules just paper.

Ideas on powder, bullet and results would be fantastic.

Thanks

Joe
Well Joe, I do NOT do handloads for carry, but load an equiv load for practice using lead bullets, which the XD is quite happy w/. I have found no better powder in 35yrs of reloading the 45acp than WST. It works for bunnyfart loads that gamers like to use & happily runs factory vel equiv loads w/ extreme accuracy & good economy, also burns clean & has good loft, something TG can not do.
My "target" loads; 4.7gr of WST under a 200gr anything. For a "ball" or JHP equiv load, 4.6gr under a 230gr LRN shoots POA/POI w/ most JHP carry loads. OAL will vaary w/ the bullet chosen. The XD, at least my TAC, is short throated.
If you wnat +P loads, then you need to move to a slightly slower powder like WSF or Unique. Just about anything over WST will shoot under 1 1/2" @ 50ft all day w/ a good gun & shooter, right around 2" @ 75ft.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well Joe, I do NOT do handloads for carry, but load an equiv load for practice using lead bullets, which the XD is quite happy w/. I have found no better powder in 35yrs of reloading the 45acp than WST. It works for bunnyfart loads that gamers like to use & happily runs factory vel equiv loads w/ extreme accuracy & good economy, also burns clean & has good loft, something TG can not do.
My "target" loads; 4.7gr of WST under a 200gr anything. For a "ball" or JHP equiv load, 4.6gr under a 230gr LRN shoots POA/POI w/ most JHP carry loads. OAL will vaary w/ the bullet chosen. The XD, at least my TAC, is short throated.
If you wnat +P loads, then you need to move to a slightly slower powder like WSF or Unique. Just about anything over WST will shoot under 1 1/2" @ 50ft all day w/ a good gun & shooter, right around 2" @ 75ft.
So you are using WST as a std for most 45 loads?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
So you are using WST as a std for most 45 loads?
All bullet wts & types, plated, lead & jacketed. The only time I shoot something else is if I am experimenting w/ a new powder or want +P loads. For +P loads, you need to go slower, like Unique, WSF, Universal, PP, etc.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I took his advice on WST and that is all I will use on .45acp now. It is a great powder. I even use it in 9mm, though I use other powders too. Once I use those others up, I may go completely WST for pistola.:cool:

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Okay, Fred, you convinced me. I've been handloading for 25 years so your statement about WST being the best .45 ACP powder in your 35 years of reloading carries a good bit of weight. I'll be using 200 gr. RNFPs and 200 gr. SWCs and according to your statement, 4.7 grs. should be accurate combinations with either bullet. I'll be shooting these loads from an XDm .45 ACP and a Colt XSE LW Commander. Hodgdon list the load range from 4.4 to 5.1 grains with a 200 gr. SWC so 4.7 sounds like a light load. I'll work up from 4.4 grains and go up to 5.1. to find the right combination if it is or isn't 4.7 grs. for my guns. ;)

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Okay, Fred, you convinced me. I've been handloading for 25 years so your statement about WST being the best .45 ACP powder in your 35 years of reloading carries a good bit of weight. I'll be using 200 gr. RNFPs and 200 gr. SWCs and according to your statement, 4.7 grs. should be accurate combinations with either bullet. I'll be shooting these loads from an XDm .45 ACP and a Colt XSE LW Commander. Hodgdon list the load range from 4.4 to 5.1 grains with a 200 gr. SWC so 4.7 sounds like a light load. I'll work up from 4.4 grains and go up to 5.1. to find the right combination if it is or isn't 4.7 grs. for my guns. ;)
You'll see, I have never had a reloader go back to their previous powder after shooting WST. The 4.7gr load will run around 820fps in a 5" gun. My IDPA load is 4.9gr, makes right @ 850fps in my 1911 & XDTAC. My "gamer" ESP load, 4.3gr under a 200grLTC @ 1.225"OAL, makes 750fps, feels like a 9mm, but scores like a 45.:D On good days, I can keep the 1911 or XDTAc under 2" @ 25yds. Used to be under 1.5", but my eyes aren't getting any younger.:shock:

·
Registered
114 Posts
4.8 grains of Titegroup with 230gr montana gold bullet works good for me. I have had success working that load up past 4.8 to give it more of a realistic recoil compared to factory

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
4.8 grains of Titegroup with 230gr montana gold bullet works good for me. I have had success working that load up past 4.8 to give it more of a realistic recoil compared to factory
Give WST a try, you'll throw the TG on the lawn where it belongs.;)
BTW, depending on your OAL, you are already max. w/ you 4.8gr load. Keep in mind, pressures are rarely linear & once you go over max, bad things happen fast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts