·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IYO what are the better gun cleaners and oils on the market

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Unless you've got a serious problem with copper or lead fouling. ... Non-chlorinated brake cleaner, acetone, kerosene, and Mobil 1

·
Banned
38,922 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Have you looked at what's in Hoppes #9 ?

http://www.hoppes.com/msds/Hoppes9/MSDS_Tri-Pac_No_ 9_Solvent-Liquid_Revision_1-3.pdf
Kerosene, Alcohol, pear oil(Amyl Acetate), and ammonia are the main ingredients.

That's why I stopped buying the stuff ... You can make a gallon of it for less than a store charges for a quart of Hoppes :wink:
No I had no idea what was in it. As I said, I only use it because that's what my family before me used.

So since this is classified as "hazardous" I will stop using it, but is it something that is bad for my firearms as well?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Gibbs. No oily residue, cleans better than CLP Break Free, no smell, and actually prevents dust from attracting, and repels moisture. The more you use it, the better it protects. Roughly $16.00 for a large can. It's the only thing that I use now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have switched to a non-toxic product called Gunzilla. It has high reviews and so far I am impressed with it.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
No I had no idea what was in it. As I said, I only use it because that's what my family before me used.

So since this is classified as "hazardous" I will stop using it, but is it something that is bad for my firearms as well?
I don't think it's really that harmful, unless you drink it ;)

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Ballistol is especially effective, and one of the very few that actually work for neutralizing acids after firing corrosive (old surplus) ammo. Mostly in AR's, AK's and C&R rifles or pistols. Hoppes or equivalent works well for most firearms used with non-corrosive modern ammo. Most all the cleaners do work, just some better at copper removal, some for heavy leading and some others best for corrosive primer salts. Pick your cleaner for the type of problem you have. Some of the newer eco friendly non-petroleum based cleaners are supposed to have less odor. Nice if others in the house do not like the solvent smell of petroleum based cleaners. A good bonded buildup of Teflon particle coating that comes with repeatedly using CLP or similar cleaners/lubes can keep most cleanups easy as they help prevent anything from adhering tightly to the metal of the firearm. Nothing really beats mechanical scrubbing with a good bore brush with whatever cleaner you use. XD/XDm pistols seem to clean up easily unless you have been firing an incorrect hardness of lead load.
I am going to try using some Wipeout after I get the AR to the range. Just for a change.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I tell u what, I've been told by many people..."doesn't really matter" I've even heard WD40 used by one guy for a decade. After I bought my first handgun and. Put 200 + WWB through it the first day (which is dirty stuff). I cleaned it with WD40, and oiled it with RemOil. Then I saw some Hoppes no.9 at Wal-Mart for $3.00. I figured what the hell I've heard good stuff bout it. So I went home and re-cleaned my gun with Hoppes....WOW!! I thought my gun was clean but nope. SO my suggestion, along with most others here is Hoppes No.9 solvent.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I've always had excellent results with Break Free CLP. A little goes a long way. A buddy of mine was a Hoppes disciple until it stripped the white lettering from his Desert Eagle. I'm not bashing Hoppes, just going off word of mouth here.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Haha, as usual. When I saw this post I knew there would be answers based on preference.

Bottom line. Find what works for you and use it.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I use to use hoppes 9 and remoil religiously up until several years ago.
I got a free sample of Eezox in the mail. I re-cleaned a couple pistols that I had just cleaned with the hoppes, and it was like I had never cleaned them at all. Went to the safe and started cleaning what I could until I ran out of what I had, then I ordered more Eezox to clean all the rest of my weapons.
I have been a True believer in Eezox ever since.

There are a lot of cleaners out there, and everyone will tell you theirs is the best.
Use what you like, as long as you're keeping your weapons clean, that's all that matters. ;)

Stay Safe.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts