Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whare are you best groups from 10yards and 15 yards with your XD9 and XD40 service models
I am using WWB and Federal red box

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have heard others say at that range should be 1"~2".

I am not there yet, with only 500 rounds downrange my groupings are about 3~4".

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Well this depends. If you are taking your time between shots you should be in the 10 ring no problem if you are doing everything right.

These pistols are designed for combat accuracy and reliability not precision. Although they are very accurate pistols.

I would worry about SD ranges first. 3 to 7 yards. Then move out to 10 and 15 for the marksmanship aspect and maybe 25 if you are really feeling froggy.

Most of us here. Unless we are shooting competition. Need to train and practice for SD at 3 to 7. Don't get too hung up on groups.

But I'll tell you what will really help. Dry fire practice with snap caps. It will help you learn trigger control and muscle memory. Also research the Thumbs Forward Grip technique.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Well this depends. If you are taking your time between shots you should be in the 10 ring no problem if you are doing everything right.

These pistols are designed for combat accuracy and reliability not precision. Although they are very accurate pistols.

I would worry about SD ranges first. 3 to 7 yards. Then move out to 10 and 15 for the marksmanship aspect and maybe 25 if you are really feeling froggy.

Most of us here. Unless we are shooting competition. Need to train and practice for SD at 3 to 7. Don't get too hung up on groups.

But I'll tell you what will really help. Dry fire practice with snap caps. It will help you learn trigger control and muscle memory. Also research the Thumbs Forward Grip technique.

Well put.........

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so to date my best groups are 3 1/2"
sounds like I'm not doing too bad then
I have only had my X40 since mid July and my XD since mid August

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
At 3 to 7 yds I do pretty well, probably a 6" group centered in the inner ring. Typically just a hair right of center and minimal rounds dropping out of the group.

I am working on the thumbs forward grip technique. It is taking a lot of getting used to, it goes against how I naturally want to hold the weapon. So it feels awkward and I am shooting less accurately with it. I know it is the fundamentally correct grip so I am still practicing with it.

I definitely have the ability to 'get in the zone', do everything right and get very tight groups. Usually lasts about 3 - 4 rounds. Consistency is my problem. Even when I am shooting badly my hits are all over the target which makes diagnosing the problem tough. I'll lock it in though, just need more practice!
Thumbs forward feels awkward at first. What you are trying to accomplish is becoming a mechanical extension of the gun giving you better control over the recoil. What you want is for the the gun to recoil straight up and down at a minimum, so the sights line right back up between shots.

Poor groups are usually attributed to poor technique in grip, trigger control and anticipation of recoil.

Your natural reaction to a mini explosion going off in your hand is to flinch.

Load some random snap caps in with live ammo when you shoot. You may be surprised as to what happens even if you think you aren't flinching.

The best way to try and overcome it is dry fire practice over and over to develop muscle memory. For me anyway. But you can lose it if you don't continue to practice on a regular basis. Which I have found also.

Just make sure all live ammo is put away first.

·
Registered
265 Posts
@AKC

Hi, why, how long did you stop shooting, but it seems you still have the touch as shown on the thread you created.:)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yesterday, I was getting consistent 2-3" groups at 10-15 yds with my XDm 9, 4.5". As with Mike above, I'm right-handed, but left-eye dominant.
A few strays, but practice makes perfect. Or, at least better groups.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
@AKC

Hi, why, how long did you stop shooting, but it seems you still have the touch as shown on the thread you created.:)
Thanks. :D

It had been a few months. I used to practice once a week 200 to 250 rounds of 9mm and 100 to 200 rounds of 7.62 with my AK. It was getting expensive.

I moved into a bigger house with a pool which means more bills and less play money for shooting.

From now on I'm going to try and practice at least 2 times a month because like I said. You can lose some skill.

·
Registered
46 Posts

This is after 400 rounds from my first gun - XD 40 Service at 10 yards.

Head shots 3" wide x 2.25" tall. Blank area above shoulder 2" x 2.5"

Don't look at his arm or her arm. =p

Phil.

·
Registered
575 Posts
That is a cool target. Haven't seen that one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Came in a variety pack of targets I bought from a gun show. Few people at the shooting range were also making comment that they liked it.

But the bad thing is the limited area I could shoot... the lady is covering the whole target and i can't shoot at her! lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I discovered my XD9 does not like the Monarch ammo from Academy Sport!
I bought 200 rounds of it a couple of weeks ago and that weekend it was the only thing I shot. I left the rang upset and feeling like I could shoot worth crap
I fired 150 rounds of it. I was able to keep everything in a 6" paper plate at 15 yards but I was very upset with my shooting
on the way home I kept telling myself that it was just a bad day for me.
Well I went again this past Sunday and the first 50 rounds I shot were the remaining Monarchs again I was shooting like crap, all still in the plates but nothing grouping like I want to.
after using up the Monarchs I pulled out a box of Federal and the first 5 shot was about a 3" group, then the next 5 were about the same.
I shot 150 rounds of Federal and all 150 were better groups!!!
I still have a lot of work to do but I am on my way!

Moral of the story Monarch ammo is junk, well my XD says it is!

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I discovered my XD9 does not like the Monarch ammo from Academy Sport!
I bought 200 rounds of it a couple of weeks ago and that weekend it was the only thing I shot. I left the rang upset and feeling like I could shoot worth crap
I fired 150 rounds of it. I was able to keep everything in a 6" paper plate at 15 yards but I was very upset with my shooting
on the way home I kept telling myself that it was just a bad day for me.
Well I went again this past Sunday and the first 50 rounds I shot were the remaining Monarchs again I was shooting like crap, all still in the plates but nothing grouping like I want to.
after using up the Monarchs I pulled out a box of Federal and the first 5 shot was about a 3" group, then the next 5 were about the same.
I shot 150 rounds of Federal and all 150 were better groups!!!
I still have a lot of work to do but I am on my way!

Moral of the story Monarch ammo is junk, well my XD says it is!
Was it the steel or brass cased?

It's cheap and I shoot the steel cased all the time in my XD9 Service. It's great for shooting rapid fire at SD ranges of 3 to 7 yards. Tula is too.

These are slightly downloaded compared to American made 115 gr. I wouldn't call them junk.

And for some reason I never really saw that much difference in accuracy out to 15 yards when I used to shoot the brass cased Monarch compared to WWB or Federal.

I wouldn't knock a group all inside a paper plate at 15 yards either. These are battle pistols designed for hard use and combat accuracy. Not precision.

·
Registered
518 Posts

XD45 though. 12 yards. Didn't get any play in the original thread so I figured I'd shamelessly post it here.
:oops:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Xd9sc, 60 shot group at 5 7 10 15 20 25 25 20 15 10 7 and 5 yards, 5 shot strings, standing unsupported. These are very accurate pistols.

·
Registered
46 Posts
wow, that's very impressive at 20/25 yards! Past 10/15 yards is hard for me to get my stock sights lined up on the target. maybe if I had some laser sights... hmmm...

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
This was with a 4.5" XDm, not a service... hope it's close enough.

Shot this group of 30 rounds for pistol CC qual for the FL application. During the 30 rounds the aftermarket trigger kit snit the bed and had 5-6 fail to fires. Not a bad group for having the whole class watch, the instructor leaning over and saying "Your dead, you know that -- right?" after every fail. No pressure :rolleyes:. Still managed to squeeze out a 144/150.

I am ADHD and found myself aiming off to the edge just to "see" a hole. I hate when I sabotage myself like that! Best advice is to focus on that front sight and just let the gun go off.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts