Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to pick up a pair of FRS/GRMS radios for general use. Being in the rainy state it needs to be water resistant at least. Rechargeable batteries are ok, but it must be able to accept AAA or AA batteries as well.
Budget is up to $100.
I've done a lot of looking and all the radios from the ones that cost $40 up to the ones that cost $100+ look exactly the same. So I'm trying to figure out what would be the best gear for my money.

Thanks for any help and insight.

Disclaimer: Yes I realize FRS/GRMS is not the best and the laws associated with their use, I have an Amateur Radio License (and handheld), as well as CB. I just need something to connect to other people who have FRS/GRMS.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Uniden has a set that are fully submersible - not just waterproof. IIRC they run about a C note. They worked well in hunting season.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
The thing with gmrs/frs is if you want to use the gmrs channels, you're supposed to have a license.

Also, with the low power of either (from a hand held unit) you're not going to get more than a mile or so out of them in most area's.

Despite them being listed as 5 mile or 25 mile range.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
The thing with gmrs/frs is if you want to use the gmrs channels, you're supposed to have a license.

Also, with the low power of either (from a hand held unit) you're not going to get more than a mile or so out of them in most area's.

Despite them being listed as 5 mile or 25 mile range.
Mine are listed as 36 miles. I know they will go atleast 5 miles in the Smokie Mountains

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Well the difference between FRS and GMRS is mostly the power and antenna requirements. both use the UHF spectrum, but the channel spacing is different; FRS uses 12.5 KHz, GMRS uses 25 KHz

FRS is limited to 500mW ERPand must use a permanently mounted antenna.

GMRS is limited to 5 Watts ERP.

Consider MURS (VHF)? 2 Watts TRP and you can use whatever antenna you want! get a gainer!

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Looking to pick up a pair of FRS/GRMS radios for general use. Being in the rainy state it needs to be water resistant at least. Rechargeable batteries are ok, but it must be able to accept AAA or AA batteries as well.
Budget is up to $100.
I've done a lot of looking and all the radios from the ones that cost $40 up to the ones that cost $100+ look exactly the same. So I'm trying to figure out what would be the best gear for my money.

Thanks for any help and insight.

Disclaimer: Yes I realize FRS/GRMS is not the best and the laws associated with their use, I have an Amateur Radio License (and handheld), as well as CB. I just need something to connect to other people who have FRS/GRMS.
Then "open" your radio to the GMRS/FRS freqs... plug them into a separate memory bank and use that! I don't have to remind you that if caught it's likely your HAM licence that gets pulled too.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
If it was me I would buy a couple Baofeng UV5Rs and program them. They are very versatile and can be used on ham bands and other things. $30-40/ea. They have version out now called the GT3 MkII ($50-60/ea) that is supposed to be water resistant.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Baofeng: Taking a loss to punish the Japanese economy to the point of bankruptcy, one radio at a time.

Since just about everything is made in China and has been for a long time, I don't think Baofung now called Pofeng makes much difference in the Japanese economy.

For most of the hams I know it is not a either/or question. They (including me) have good stuff, but buy a CCR (cheap chinese radio) in addition to as a backup

I did read somewhere that the number of ham radio operators has increased significantly in the last couple of years primarily because of the availability of CCRs. Ham numbers had been decreasing significantly for decades.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts