Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your opinion whats the best deer hunting rifle im trying to buy 2 for me and my dad and since i should be startng work at my local gun shop soon price shouldnt be an issue
any caliber....any brand

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
I'm no expert, but I think you can't go wrong with a Rem. 700 in either .270 or .30-06. .270's perfect for deer, but the -06 let's you go after Elk and whatnot too. Also, same calibers, but check out the new TC Icon Classic.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
where you are from and the terrain there is going to be a factor in answering that question... Here in Ky, the 30-30 reigns supreme as the all around best deer rifle, other places where you may be shooting over 150 yards the 30-30 pales in comparison to other calibers

·
Premium Member
3,855 Posts
Personally i love my Winchester .270 and my Remington 700 .30-06. Both are great for some descent distances and both pack one heck of a walup.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well where im from is florida but obviously i wouldnt be hunting here it would be for all around ie taking trips

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Remington 700 or Winchester 70 in 30-06.Ive had my Winchester 70 in 30-06 for years,its a great gun.The 30-06 gives you a wide range of bullet weights,125gr all the way up to 220gr.

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
Remington 700 or Winchester 70 in 30-06.Ive had my Winchester 70 in 30-06 for years,its a great gun.The 30-06 gives you a wide range of bullet weights,125gr all the way up to 220gr.
This would be good advice and on track for a very versatile caliber which can be found all over the world. I have a Browning A-Bolt2 which has killed many deer some 300 yards plus. The rifle you choose should fit YOU. I tried many rifles in my price range at the time (1995) and settled on Browning. I would also suggest that you spend equal or better on glass. A good scope can make or break a good hunt when seconds count. I had chosen a Leupold Vari X II 3 x 9. I found out soon that when I wanted to take long shots in very low light that my scope wasn't up for it. I have been shooting with a Vari X III 6.5x20x50mm.

Technology has changed a lot in the last ten years but the deer are just as elusive. Keep your eye out for a well made rifle with quality in craftsmanship. Do not get hung out there on flashy wizzbangs that promise to do the hunting for you.

Get a 30-06 in a rifle you like and get some practice at the range.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i was pretty set on the 30-06 and you guys helped make up my mind
as far as a scope im probably gonna get matching nikon's

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Savage 110, Remington 700, Winchester 70, Maybe one of the Mossber, TC, Weatherby, or Howa's in .30-06 would be real tough to beat.

.270 would be my 2nd choice of caliber.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I love my Rem 700 MIne is a 30 06 ad is about 40 years old. I bought it new at that time. I have always shoot 180 Grain Federals in it and in 40 years heve yet to miss a shot a at deer with this gun and cartridge. I hope I never do. I came close to missing once but I didn't. My old hunting buddy has always used a 270 win in 700 Rem. They arr both great guns. I don't really think it matters so much which brand as most all are good. But 243, 270 or 30 06 are hard to beat. 7mm mag is a good gun too.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
I love my Ruger M77 30-06. It has been in our family since 1971. But where I hunt it is all close up and I use my friends 30-30. This year he is using it so I am back to my trusty 30-06.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I grew up hunting here in michigan. I'm very proud to say that in 16 (or is it 17 now...) seasons of hunting with my 30-06 i've brought down 12 whitetail deer with 12 bullets. 11 sets of antlers and over 1k lbs of venison later i still use the same Rem Core-Lokt Soft Point 180g that i started hunting with.

This caliber has been reliable and lethal in taking deer between 40 yds and 125+ yards away for me. My father shoots the same round out 150-175 yds with the same results. if i went thru the family list (we're a loyal bunch) we'd be here a while ;)

as noted by those before me a lot of what drew me to the 30-06 (besides its obivous strength's as a whitetail gun) was its versatility.

Personally i would recomend a good bolt gun for you - but i'm impartial because my bro has a 700bdl tack driver in the safe that i get to play with once a year or so :twisted:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The old '06 is a sure killer on deer at any sane range you can hit them. This one took a 150 grain Nosler BT that angled into his neck, clipping the spine and ‘grenading’ the lungs and aorta. A chunk of the bullet exited in front of the off-shoulder.

You couldn’t ask for a more decisive kill at the distance, which checks at 212 yards per the ‘ruler’ on EarthGoogle. The bullet sounded like it hit a 5-gallon bucket of water when it hit him and he went over like he'd been struck by lightning.

·
Registered
460 Posts
You couldn’t ask for a more decisive kill at the distance, which checks at 212 yards per the ‘ruler’ on EarthGoogle. The bullet sounded like it hit a 5-gallon bucket of water when it hit him and he went over like he'd been struck by lightning.
The results with the heavier bullet i use at closer ranges are at times remarkably more stunning. My first buck was around 125 yds, heart/lung shot - two steps and he fell over like a sack 'o' taters. I've rolled deer at ranges of 60-75 yds with a solid poke in the mid/lower neck.

no fair.. im jealous!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I have more experience with Win 70 in .308. I would suggest 30-06 or .308 for deer. .308 is a little more predictable for longer shots, (more constant). For the application, either would serve you well.
As for the manufacturer, there are many manufacturers who produce a fine, accurate wepon. Ford or Chevy?

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Big Time Subjective... :p

1 - 20 of 31 Posts