Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this reloading stuff works. I'm shocked--SHOCKED--I tell you.

Up until now I've bought components in small lots, as I've tried to learn the process and evaluate different sources and components. But it's time to move to another level of efficiency, i.e., the lowest per-round cost that I can reasonably get.

What I'd like to get is a couple thousand rounds of 9mm bullets (115gr). Best source I've found price-wise is Precision Delta, with 9mm going for $67/1000 delivered (you have to buy minimum 2000 bullets), or 6.7 cents each. Anyone used these bullets, or others from Precision? Any quality issues? Any better source in terms of price/quality?

The best I've found for .223 bullets is HiTech ammo, with the price for 55gr FMJ bullets at $65/1000, but that doesn't include shipping (it's $12 for 2000 bullets, for a per-round cost of 7.1 cents. Anyone know about the quality of this ammo, or have a good price/quality source for .223?

Primers and powder I'm not so sure on. I'd like to buy a bunch at the same place to allow (hopefully) the same hazmat fee to cover both. But I have no idea what the best place to buy is.

I've been using Win 748 powder for the .223 rounds, and Unique for the 9mm. I'm open to different powders that others have found work better, meter better, or get one more loads per pound. Any ideas there? Where do you buy your powder and primers?

Thanks to all who have helped me on this journey. It's been very fun, and very educational. At some point, I'll probably post what my newbie experiences have been, what tools worked well and what not, and so on.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I'd try and find a group deal on components. That's what I'm going to do when I start buying.

I figure I can a decent deal from a local shop (to avoid hazmat/shipping fees) if I place a LARGE order, even if it's a wide variety of products. I know a lot of people near me reload, and i belong to a local gun forum.

Call around and see what deals you can get if you place a huge order at once.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd try and find a group deal on components. That's what I'm going to do when I start buying.

I figure I can a decent deal from a local shop (to avoid hazmat/shipping fees) if I place a LARGE order, even if it's a wide variety of products. I know a lot of people near me reload, and i belong to a local gun forum.

Call around and see what deals you can get if you place a huge order at once.
I've thought about that--I have only one local gun shop and he's kind of...odd on this stuff. Might be worth trying him though--between shipping and hazmat it might all work out to be similar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts