Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an xdm .45 4.5in I bought a box of critical duty after watching a bunch of reviews. I've recently read that it has problems firing in xd style handguns, all of them were complaints from 3.3in owners. I was wondering if anyone's had problem with cd in the 4.5in model? I'll be test firing some of the cd when I go to the range next week, if any of you have had problems with cd what ammo would you recomend for carry/home defense?

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
There is no "best".

You may want to do a search on "best carry ammo" as there are, literally, hundreds of threads in this very subject.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
There is no "best".

You may want to do a search on "best carry ammo" as there are, literally, hundreds of threads in this very subject.

Welcome to the forum.
This up here ^^^^ including the welcome.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
The list is so long when it comes to self defense rounds, but for me my choice for SD ammo always comes down to Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot. As far as Critical Defense/Duty goes, it is pretty inferior in terms of expansion and penetration compared to other JHP rounds. Sometimes a round that's designed to not "over penetrate" will fail to adequately penetrate, and if you're ever in that situation you may very well be jeopardizing your life.

Winchester Ranger and Hornady XTP are also up there, but I've never bothered with them because HST and GD are usually less expensive if you can find them in the LE packaged boxes of 50. I would also recommend steering clear of any of the "exotics" as I call them.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
What ever you choose for carry ammo, be sure it functions well in your pistol. If you can shoot 50 -100 rounds without FTE or FTF before I carry with that ammo, but usually any problems will show up in the first couple of mags.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts

·
Premium Member
127,986 Posts
Welcome from Ohio.

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
I'm gonna scoot way out on the limb and say...

Federal HST.
It's good, but no better than others (Gold Dot, Barnes Tac-X, Ranger-T...).

Personally, I think the best performing round that you can buy today is the Barnes Tac-X, but it doesn't perform that much better than other rounds to justify the expense.

In short--there is no objective "best"--only subjective.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Haven't used Hornady yet. Does anybody have experience with Pierce 9mm personal defense? I just picked up a box of 20 and have yet to try them out.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I'm gonna scoot way out on the limb and say...

Federal HST.

I will scoot out on the limb with you as this is my chosen carry round in my XDsc .40 which replaced the Hornady Critical Duty I had been carrying.

OP I personally would look into the ammo mentioned above. Look at price and availability, Look at what your local police carry. Find 1-3 that you think might work buy some and try it out. Ammo selection really is a trial and error of what works in your gun. Some really good ammo does not work in some really good guns but you don't know this until you shoot some out of your gun. The choices listed above especially the HST and the Gold Dots would be a tremendous place to start. BTW welcome to the forum

P.S. Cuda is usually very knowledgeable and is willing to share this knowledge... :)

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Haven't used Hornady yet. Does anybody have experience with Pierce 9mm personal defense? I just picked up a box of 20 and have yet to try them out.
Since I hadn't heard of it I had to do a quick google check. Per the website's info it's nothing more than a Hornady XTP load. Hornady XTP is a good round, but I'm guessing you're going to be paying through the nose since Pierce looks like another mom & pop manufacturer. If you shoot it and like it and want a decent priced option for Hornady XTP, look at Fiocchi Extrema, it's also loaded with a Hornady XTP bullet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Since I hadn't heard of it I had to do a quick google check. Per the website's info it's nothing more than a Hornady XTP load. Hornady XTP is a good round, but I'm guessing you're going to be paying through the nose since Pierce looks like another mom & pop manufacturer. If you shoot it and like it and want a decent priced option for Hornady XTP, look at Fiocchi Extrema, it's also loaded with a Hornady XTP bullet.
I have tried the Fiocchi, thank you. The Pierce I picked up for less than $17 on sale so I'll give it a try. GD and HST are now my PD ammo of choice.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I agree with Cuda, no best but there are some good performers. I carry/use three different types. For my XDs 4.0 45ACP, I use Barnes TAC-XPD in 185gr +P...mainly due to its relative low recoil in that gun. I also use in my full size XDM 45 when the gun is available to my daughter (when I'm not around) as she shoots it very well with that load.

I use Gold Dot 200+p and HST/Gold Dot 230gr in my larger 45's. The 200+p has a bit of a recoil but my Sig 227 SAS handles it very nice but not so much fun in my G30. So it depends on the gun but I don't think one can go wrong with GD, HST or Ranger ammo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had good luck putting down a trapped pig using DPX Barnes all copper bullet 180 grain +p. They run well in my standard XD 45, I accidentally shot 10 of them into paper. At 2$ a round that was a big mistake.

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
I had good luck putting down a trapped pig using DPX Barnes all copper bullet 180 grain +p. They run well in my standard XD 45, I accidentally shot 10 of them into paper. At 2$ a round that was a big mistake.
I hope that was after you purposely fired a couple of boxes worth at paper to make sure it functioned correctly...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts