Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this post crosses the forums but I am primarily interested in how they are in the 45. I have always loaded my 357 with Hydrashocks but am relatively new to autos so would appreciate your input. My brother-in-law reccommended the Hydrashocks as well. He is an LEO with about 15 yrs. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Federal has also come out with a new round - the LE HST - it's actually cheaper and has better stopping power than the original Hydra-Shok. You can get it at ammunitiontogo.com

~~$24 per box of 50 compared with about the same price for 20 Hydra-Shoks is a real deal.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I use DoubleTap 230gr JHP. This round is loaded with a Speed Gold-Dot bullet, loaded to standard pressure, with 1014 ft/s and 521 ft/lbs. It's a little more expensive than HST at $35 for a box of 50, but I went with it anyway as a few have had some reliability problems with HST. I've run 200 rounds through with zero malfunctions. It's a quality round, and since I have yet to hear about someone having problems with Gold Dots feeding properly, it's my first choice.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Federal has also come out with a new round - the LE HST - it's actually cheaper and has better stopping power than the original Hydra-Shok. You can get it at ammunitiontogo.com

~~$24 per box of 50 compared with about the same price for 20 Hydra-Shoks is a real deal.
If I'd have known about this deal I wouldn't have gotten my 20/box Gold-Dots for $29+tax. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
HydraShoks = old technology with questionable penetration in clothing

HST = New technology with the best ballistics of most any modern hollow point ammo

Speer Gold Dots = great standard design hollow point with excellent expansion and very good reliability

·
Registered
250 Posts
Double Tap 230 grain for me. I feel FMJ is most reliable through any auto and would rather leave expanding designs of any kind to revolvers. The 230 grain weight is what all 45 ACPs have been designed for since 1911 and surely reliable though other weights might work fine through many of them. There are two different shapes of FMJ from Double Tap and I picked the rounder nose for feeding reliability but may consider switch to flatter nose. Those deform into something like a flat wadcutter shape on contact with some diameter expansion but won't break up on anything. Said to be real good on cars, bears, etc.. Same 520 pounds at the muzzle for all three...guessing about 490 from a 4" like mine. NOT +P but pressure at SAAMI standards. Low flash powder won't be blinding in low light when most SD happens.
Trying some in my XD-45c it showed little recoil difference from regular 230 grain loads. If you favor DumDum bullets the Gold Dots are favored by many...your choice. In any version this is good stuff.:D

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Hornady TAP 230gr.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
HydraShoks = old technology with questionable penetration in clothing

HST = New technology with the best ballistics of most any modern hollow point ammo

Speer Gold Dots = great standard design hollow point with excellent expansion and very good reliability
Here's a comparison for the Federal HST 230gr +P and the DoubleTap 230gr JHP Gold Dot

Federal HST +P Sources: Wound Ballistics Basic Ballistics
Muzzle Velocity - 950 fps
Muzzle Energy - 461 ft/bls
Penetration in Ballistic Gelatin - 14"
Expansion in Ballistic Gelatin - .9"

DoubleTap Gold Dot Sources: Wound Ballistics Basic Ballistics
Muzzle Velocity - 1010 fps
Muzzle Energy - 521 ft/bls
Penetration in Ballistic Gelatin - 15.25"
Expansion in Ballistic Gelatin - .95"

Based on these numbers, the better round is the DoubleTap 230gr JHP. It's a standard pressure round and boasts better performance than most 230gr +P rounds.

And before anyone quotes the results from Terminal Ballistics , remember that these tests are done in water jugs which yields different results than tests in gelatin. To quote the The Box O' Truth, "As we have observed in the past, water works pretty well to test penetration, in a 2 to 1 ratio as compared to ballistic gelatin."

Even though DoubleTap is more expensive than HST's, it was my pick because of the isolated reports that some were experiencing feeding issues with HST's in their XD .45, and due to the fact that when it comes to stopping power, I want the best round available that will most effectively stop the threat. Certainly it could be argued that the HST will do just as good a job as DoubleTap, but the numbers don't lie and I'm willing to spend more for better penetration and expansion. The question to others is do they think it's worth the extra cost. In my mind it is.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be keeping my eyes out for the gold dots. I like the higher ballistics testing. I agree about paying a little more for the best results.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
HST and EFMJ are what I load in mine.
:cool::cool::cool:

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be keeping my eyes out for the gold dots. I like the higher ballistics testing. I agree about paying a little more for the best results.
You can order Speer Gold Dots just about anywhere, but make sure you order them in boxes of 50. Ammunition to Go has them in boxes of 50. If you want to spend a little extra for DoubleTap, you can order them directly from their webpage DoubleTap Shop or from MidwayUSA

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
It's cheaper to buy online in most cases, and many online retailers offer bulk discounts. You won't find Speer Gold-Dot in 50 round boxes anywhere, except for possibly a law enforcement supply store. Most retail packaging of self-defense ammunition will be in boxes of 20.

DoubleTap is a mail-order only product. When I referred before to DoubleTap 230gr JHP Gold Dot, that round is loaded with Speer Bullets and is not manufactured by Speer.

Speer has three offerings in their Gold-Dot Load.
Speer Gold Dot 185gr
Speer Gold Dot 230gr
Speer Gold Dot 200gr +P

The DoubleTap load offers better performance than the above 3. The Speer 200gr +P load comes close, but you won't see the same expansion as the DoubleTap 230gr. DoubleTap also offers the 185gr Gold Dot load, with 1225 fps and 616 ft/lbs, though you won't have as aggressive expansion than with the 230gr.

Just to reiterate, and I apologize for being long winded but I am a ballistic junkie :mrgreen:, the effectiveness of a self-defense round depends not only on the energy delivered, but the expansion of the bullet. The greater the wound cavity, the more effective at stopping the thread.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Until a single shot breakaway pistol is the only one on earth, I second this statement.
As far as just stopping people I think I'd about third that statement. I think though of the other things...cars they shoot from inside of or behind for instance. You may need to penetrate something before it gets to him. Over a fence, behind a door, through a window.
Things like this make me like the expensive power of Double Tap in my gun. My preference for more penetration and reliable feed plus the fact that it is a 45 makes me stick to FMJ. Then again, that's what's in my 380 which is what I have to settle for much of the time.
Reminds you of herding cats doesn't it? :rolleyes: FWIW

1 - 20 of 30 Posts