Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around for 1000 round deals. I've went through georgia arm, ammo man, ammunition to go and so on. These are the deals that I've found.

First question, What grain bullet do I want for target? 230 or 185 grain?

Second question, what brand?
Canned Heat? ( Georgia Arms brand )
Wolf
Armscor Precision
CCI blazer
Aguila
Lawman
PMC
Fiocchi ( Kinda cutting into the amount I want to spend )
Sellier & Bellot

If there are other deals on .45acp ammo out there, please let me know. I want to spend about 280-300 for 1000 rounds ( FMJ target rounds )

Also looking for home defense rounds too.. Thanks fellas:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Go with FMJ as it is what y ou will likely be using for self defense. Stay away from Wolf and Fiocchi. CCI Blazer Brass, PMC and Speer Lawman is good. I have heard good stuff about canned heat but I have never used it.

Edit: I meant to say 230gr FMJ as it matches the weight you would likely be using in hollow points for self defense

·
Registered
764 Posts
I would choose 230 grain, if no other reason, then it being the more general grain for .45

I prefer MagTech bulk ammo, all brass casing, re-loadable quailty and all for a great price.
I've done about 800 rds of MagTech in my Xd45 and 3 Kimber 1911s with no issues at all.
The price should be right at what you're looking for. I normally just buy from Midway.com

Self defense ammo, I think there is anything better then Speer Golddots. I use the 230 grain in my 5" 1911s, and 200 grain+P in my 3" 1911.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool thanks so far guys. Ill check out that midway site also.

I probably wont be reloading myself, I seems like its pretty costly to get into it initially.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
for SD rounds i would purchase manufactured ammo unlike the range ammo its manufactured to very strict tolerances

all i reload is range ammo. for my real life situations i prefer to have a round i know will work without fail.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
will do now. Thanks..

whats a better home defense round I should look into?
+1 for Gold Dot. Also the Hornady TAP 230gr. +1 are pretty nice. Winchester Ranger's if you can find them. For me: Gold Dot.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, thanks again.

while looking online for gold dots etc, I came across this picture. I think its a good chart to show expansion on a few select rounds.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
seems like #6 and #7 expanded the best and seem to have more rough edges to tear into someone. and then followed by #9 and #10 and #11 has those nasty edges with a smooth center.

·
Registered
764 Posts
You would actually want the uniformity of expansion, to preserve impact area, weight and avoid the round from coming apart. This is one of many reasons that Speer GoldDots are highly regarded.
That chart also fails to mention penetration-expansion is nothing, if doesnt penetrate.
Again, this is where Speer GoldDots tend to win every time.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, I understand what your are saying. I just thought it was a good picture to show real life expansions on the bullets themselves, and not just a companies ad.

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead. Anyone pick any up lately?

·
Banned
3,651 Posts
I've always used .45 Fiocchi. Use it during IDPA sometimes as well. Fairly clean (cleaner than WWB at least) and brass is good for reloads.

+1 on the Magtech as well

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
I've always used .45 Fiocchi. Use it during IDPA sometimes as well. Fairly clean (cleaner than WWB at least) and brass is good for reloads.

+1 on the Magtech as well

Where are you buying from?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sellier & Bellot ammo is a little less expensive than most, pretty clean, and feeds thru my XD45 Service very well, no FTFs to date-

1 - 20 of 23 Posts