Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was thinking I want to have my carry gun behind my back. I know the XD sc and XDm sc fit me great. I am 5'9 145lbs, athletic build and normaly wear modern fitted clothes. I am a right handed shooter. What would be the best holster for me to get? Names and models or links would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wouldn't carrying a CCW behind your back be kind of counter-productive, since you are putting your arm in the perfect position for an easy arm-bar when you reach for your weapon? I'm not an expert by any means, and I'm sure you know your personal comfort zones and such. Action Vs. Reaction would be on your side, but CC laws seem to only be in your favor when you are in life or death situations, and if it isn't close quarters, then they are going to ask you why you didn't run, and if it is close quarters, you are putting yourself in a position to be thrown around by someone who knows what they are doing.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Wouldn't carrying a CCW behind your back be kind of counter-productive, since you are putting your arm in the perfect position for an easy arm-bar when you reach for your weapon? I'm not an expert by any means, and I'm sure you know your personal comfort zones and such. Action Vs. Reaction would be on your side, but CC laws seem to only be in your favor when you are in life or death situations, and if it isn't close quarters, then they are going to ask you why you didn't run, and if it is close quarters, you are putting yourself in a position to be thrown around by someone who knows what they are doing.
Nice 1st post Schiz....

I totally agree, for most part...

The Gun Zone -- Hopeless Holster Carry

SOB (small of the back) carry is one of the (if not the) worse carry options available..

A good IWB or OWB belt holster is a much better option...
Easier to draw.
Easier to conceal.
Easier to sit your ass down in chair or driving a vehicle...
Easier than being knocked down on your spine and spending the rest of your life in a wheelchair..:(

I certainly wouldn't recommend something to you that I wouldn't do myself...

Good luck....1LL

·
Registered
339 Posts
I know it is not the most ideal location to carry, but for me it is the easiest place to conceal. I'm 5'10" and 165 pounds and when my iwb holster is at the 4 o'clock position my XD40 service prints like hell unless I am wearing a sweatshirt or a jacket. However when I move it to about 5:30 I can hide it with a fitted t-shirt or even a long wife-beater. As long as it is not right under your tailbone sitting and driving are not bad. Being a tow truck operator I spend a lot of time driving and I carry all the time.

It's all about finding what works for you taking into account your gun, holster, mode of dress, etc and traing to draw and shoot from those holster positions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use an N82 Tactical holster for my XD9SC, very comfortable and has great retention. I usually carry in about the 4:30 position

·
Premium Member
127,697 Posts
As a firearms instructor of many years I strongly advise against SOB carry. It the worst possible carry method for so many reasons.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
If you think the print is bad in front,wait until bending over to hook up a car with the small of the back holster. Plus anyone can grab it off of you while you are working in that T-Shirt of yours. I say borrow one and try it before you buy it!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm not advocating SOB as a primary carry method. I should have been more specific, I do not own a specific SOB holster, I merely use my soft iwb holster in that position on occaision. I would not buy one of those owb SOB holsters. They look very uncomfortable and awkward to draw from.

Someone of the OPs build would probably be best served by a iwb holster of some sort. Mine is good for about 90% of the time when placed between 4:00-5:00. Someday I will be able to snealk a supertuck by the wife.

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
I wear my SOB, just as you would any other behind the the hip rig.
in the 8:45-8:30 position, (the beavertail does stand out a little)
exactly the same as my crossbreed and others

Agreed SOB is not good for anything other than back problems.

here is one similar to mine, just worn more to the side with the grip in my side { so when sitting down it is not in / on your back }
and -wear the mag pouch on the opposite hip-
Bodyguard Holster - D.M. Bullard Leather Mfg.

actually worn like this Tucker

Leather Holsters | Tucker Gun Leather & Kydex Holsters

I have this one also from black hawk and like it. but for 1911
BLACKHAWK! Check-Six Leather Concealment Holster - BLACKHAWK!

G

·
You're also going to regret SOB carry when you fall on your back one day and your weapon bangs into your spine. Some people have had significant injury from that.

·
Super Moderator
22,185 Posts
Its not that good for your spine either...

·
Registered
157 Posts
i have to agree with you. i find sob to be the most comfortable also. i have tried virtually everything at all "hours of the day" positioning and none truly are comfortable or dont print for me except the sob. soooo -
i bought a left hand mtac (i am right handed) and i wear it iwb sob with a cw9 with no problems. i have no problems drawing or presenting the weapon at all. i am 6'6" and 285. the uncle mikes iwb with retention strap works well also.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Small of the back carry is just wrong.......

Unless you invest an inordinate amount of time in practice, drawing from the SOB position will cause you to "sweep" yourself and everybody standing next to you (right or left, depending on the method of drawing).

A few years back, there was a man "practicing" SOB draws at the Ocala National Forest shooting range. He died from a self inflicted gunshot wound to the chest. He could have shot anyone standing to his left.

Reconsider.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dang gone for a day! Thanks for all the info guys!

So the best is carry inside your pants just off your normal holster spot?
So what would be a good IWB for me that would fit me best?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Dang gone for a day! Thanks for all the info guys!

So the best is carry inside your pants just off your normal holster spot?
So what would be a good IWB for me that would fit me best?
Crossbreed supertuck end of conversation. Lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts