Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, so far I'm finding only a few kydex holster companies accommodate us .45 subcompact 3.3" barrel owners. There's plenty of options for the 9/40 versions. I know about T5Custom, Clinger and Black Rhino Concealment. I really wish Tier 1 would make a mold in their Agis model but they said their hasn't been a sufficient demand for them to offer it. What's y'all's experience? Have any of y'all actually purchased an appendix rig and worn enough to give a good review? Also doesn't have to be kydex but that's what I'm leaning more towards.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I currently own a Crossbreed Velcro backed holster for my XD9 Sub-Compact that allows me to mount it in the back of my sling bag for times when I want to off-body carry in addition to my normal on body carry. The crossbreed setup includes two spare magazine holders. I phoned SA Customer Service to inquire about whether I could use that same holster for an XD45 3.3 Sub-Compact that I had just purchased. I was hoping I could use the same rig for both firearms. The Customer Service rep I spoke with checked the dimensions of both handguns and told me that the XD45 will fit in my XD9 holster. She did tell me that the magazines will NOT fit in the existing XD9 magazine holders. I"m still waiting for my XD45 to arrive at my local gun store since it had to be ordered because they did not have what I wanted in stock. As far as the magazine holders, I can just order a set of shells from Crossbreed instead of two complete holders thanks to how they make and market their products. I hope this may help you...there may be many more options for you than you are aware of. Hopefully I will receive my XD45 this week at which time I will definitely be checking the fit in my holsters and I'll update this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I currently own a Crossbreed Velcro backed holster for my XD9 Sub-Compact that allows me to mount it in the back of my sling bag for times when I want to off-body carry in addition to my normal on body carry. The crossbreed setup includes two spare magazine holders. I phoned SA Customer Service to inquire about whether I could use that same holster for an XD45 3.3 Sub-Compact that I had just purchased. I was hoping I could use the same rig for both firearms. The Customer Service rep I spoke with checked the dimensions of both handguns and told me that the XD45 will fit in my XD9 holster. She did tell me that the magazines will NOT fit in the existing XD9 magazine holders. I"m still waiting for my XD45 to arrive at my local gun store since it had to be ordered because they did not have what I wanted in stock. As far as the magazine holders, I can just order a set of shells from Crossbreed instead of two complete holders thanks to how they make and market their products. I hope this may help you...there may be many more options for you than you are aware of. Hopefully I will receive my XD45 this week at which time I will definitely be checking the fit in my holsters and I'll update this.
Thanks @FLShutterbug55, from what I've heard Crossbreed makes really good quality holsters. The company I'm leaning most toward is T5Custom Kydex because they even offer light-bearing options on their hitchhiker model and I've toyed around with the idea of adding a laser/light combo like the Viridian C5L or Streamlight TLR8 T5 seems to stay current with all the Springfield models. Problem is their are currently shut down on production for new orders until mid to late May. :/ So wanting to know if folks on here have had any experience with other quality holster companies. Not totally against non-kydex but kind of more inclined right now.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
You might want to ask around at your local gun stores or with a dedicated gunsmith to see if there might be someone in your area that makes Kydex holsters, etc. One of my fellow RSOs at my gun club who is also a very close friend and gunsmith makes Kydex holsters which is where I get my carry holsters. I have always given him more than what he's asked for price wise because I value his work very highly and want to help keep him in business. You might find someone in your area that could make what you want/need for you so you could have one holster for your XD45 with a light/laser and one without. I doubt if any "big box" sporting goods stores would know anyone but a "mom/pop" gun store may. If you do find there is someone in your area that makes Kydex holsters, check with them to get a look at some of their work before signing up to have one make for you. That way you'll have a better ides what to expect workmanship and quality wise.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that recommendation. There’s a few local companies i’m Just not sure if they’ll have the time or interest in taking a single item order. I guess i’ll Have to check and see.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I would recommend taking your unloaded firearm and empty magazines (with one snap cap in each) with you when visiting the local companies. They may or may not have a mold/blue gun master for your given firearm and magazines so having yours with you will greatly help. And wear the belt you plan to wear when using the holster in case they need to check for proper size/fit. And plan to give the business that makes your holsters plenty of free positive word of mouth advertising.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got a xd mod2 subcompact 9 mm 3” not 3.3” I thought my mod2 was3.3” and realized my xds 9mm is 3.3” but my mod2 9 is 3” I have a kydex I carry Aiwb and have been carrying for the last 9 moths and I like the way it’s pushed in to my stomach that way it’s more concealed and I noticed comparing it with others that the retention it’s very good I put it upside down and shake it and it doesn’t drop at all and the way I’ve learned the retention it’s good is when I holster it I hear that loud sound of the kydex, that’s my way of knowing it’s good retention, the company name it’s (on your 6 design ) lifetime guaranty but the only downside it’s that you have to wait 17 to 18 days to receive it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,580 Posts
Doesn't G-Code have an Incog for a Mod2 45?

Personally, I don't like hybrids for AIWB... they just seem to add bulk in places I'd prefer my own, personal bulk to dominate, YMMV.
I tried the smallest hybrid I own (Raw Dog Tactical) as an AIWB and didn't care for it, but it was a relatively inexpensive lesson for me to get a feel for what I like and don't like for that particular style of carry.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've ordered a couple of holsters from Dara and love em. Many options, great quality and customer service at mid-range pricing.
I carry OWB so can't relate to the appendix, but would imagine that they would be same great quality across the board.

All Appendix Carry Holsters

·
Registered
443 Posts
Clinger IWB holsters. I've got 3.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts