Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i'm curious what everyones experience has been with carrying on your ankle and what has been your favorite gun to do so?

Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
484 Posts
I carry a Kel-Tec P3AT (.380 auto) in an Uncle Mike's ankle holster at work (retail store) loaded with the Remington Golden Saber 102gr. rounds. I chose ankle carry vs. waist carry because I'm pretty skinny and can't hide an IWB holster very well. It has its pluses and minuses; pretty good stopping power with the 380's combined with the almost negligible weight of the pistol on my ankle. The ankle holster takes a couple of seconds longer to access vs. a waist holster, so it's slower to get into action. My regular carry gun (when I'm not at work and wearing jeans instead of slacks) is a S&W 642 revolver, but after trying once to carry it on my ankle I decided it was too heavy. That's my main reason for carrying what I do - weight vs. performance is always a tough trade-off, but you're going to carry whatever you have a hell of a lot more than you're going to shoot it.

Whatever you choose to wear in an ankle holster, make sure it's something you're going to be able to wear all the time. First rule of a gunfight is "have a gun" so pick one you can comfortably wear as long as you need to.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts