Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok after tomorrow I will have a completed NFA Trust, and will efile for a suppressor.

Only AR15 I have left is a 5.56. Now I'm looking to get a AAC suppressor and an AAC 51t adapter for quick removal.

Now my question is, is there a suppressor that I can get that covers everything from 22lr - 7.62? That pretty much covers anything I may use in the future. Any info from you well seasoned NFA guys, will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
.22 suppressors are a completely different animal than centerfire suppressors. For a .22, you need to be able to disassemble it for cleaning as much of .22 ammo is not jacketed and lead will build up in the suppressor. Centerfire suppressors don't have that problem because the projectiles are jacketed.

Yes, you could shoot a .22 through a .30 caliber suppressor, but it won't be nearly as effective because you're sending a small projectile through a big hole, so there's lots more room for the exiting gas to escape.

It all comes down to a simple concept. Choose the right tool for the right job. All suppressors tame noise, but are not all intended for the same type of job nor do they have the same features or properties. It's like firearms...they all shoot, but there is not such thing as "best all around firearm" because it depends on what you're using it for.

If you've created a NFA trust, it seems like you're planning on owning several NFA items. Do your homework and get the items that will do the jobs you intend to do.

In short, there is no good answer to your question.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
^ What he said. Also, I'm pretty sure that the efile system is down so snail mail is the only way currently. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
What LocoGringo said.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
.22 suppressors are a completely different animal than centerfire suppressors. For a .22, you need to be able to disassemble it for cleaning as much of .22 ammo is not jacketed and lead will build up in the suppressor. Centerfire suppressors don't have that problem because the projectiles are jacketed.

Yes, you could shoot a .22 through a .30 caliber suppressor, but it won't be nearly as effective because you're sending a small projectile through a big hole, so there's lots more room for the exiting gas to escape.

It all comes down to a simple concept. Choose the right tool for the right job. All suppressors tame noise, but are not all intended for the same type of job nor do they have the same features or properties. It's like firearms...they all shoot, but there is not such thing as "best all around firearm" because it depends on what you're using it for.

If you've created a NFA trust, it seems like you're planning on owning several NFA items. Do your homework and get the items that will do the jobs you intend to do.

In short, there is no good answer to your question.
appreciate your help. That makes alot more sense to me now and makes my question pretty dumb now lol.
I'll get a 5.56 suppressor then.

As far as efile being down, that's wrong. My buddy just had a 1 month wait for an SBR

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
AH BUT an SBR (manufacturing) is a Form1, a purchased suppressor (transfer) is a Form4 and the eForm4's are down. They are working on it, but they have doubled the work force in the NFA branch and are working 7 days a week.

If you are looking at a disassembly friendly 7.62 can that will take a full power 308 Win, look at the Huntertown Arms Kestrel 762. They come in two flavors Stainless and titanium, both featuring stacked and rotatable K-Baffles. honestly a small bullet through a big hole isn't as bad as it's made out to be, but you do loose suppression and it MIGHT make a ear safe suppressor fall over the line.

Liberty Suppressors just came out with the Mystic-X and is 5.56 rated to 16" and subsonic .308, is user serviceable, and very lightweight.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AH BUT an SBR (manufacturing) is a Form1, a purchased suppressor (transfer) is a Form4 and the eForm4's are down. They are working on it, but they have doubled the work force in the NFA branch and are working 7 days a week.

If you are looking at a disassembly friendly 7.62 can that will take a full power 308 Win, look at the Huntertown Arms Kestrel 762. They come in two flavors Stainless and titanium, both featuring stacked and rotatable K-Baffles. honestly a small bullet through a big hole isn't as bad as it's made out to be, but you do loose suppression and it MIGHT make a ear safe suppressor fall over the line.

Liberty Suppressors just came out with the Mystic-X and is 5.56 rated to 16" and subsonic .308, is user serviceable, and very lightweight.
ouch!! well hopefully they get it fixed soon while i continue my research

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Been down for a bit. Wouldn't count on it. Just do it snail mail and see which one comes first lol

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
It can be done, but it will be really heavy due to needing to use higher grade (read, steel) to withstand the pressure of the 30 cal's.

And 22's are still quiet through a 30 cal can.

Any steel can should be submersible in a sonic cleaner tub.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I've designed and built a couple of cans. One of which is a 9mm suppressor that I purpose built strong enough to be a multi-purpose can like the topic was about and why I chimed in.

I also am aware of the toxicity of some cleaners.

Use natural citrus-based cleaners. D-Limonene is in the terpene family. Terpenes are generally not corrosive or harmful to metals or most plastics and polymers. Terpenes won’t cause rusting, pitting, etching, or staining. Since they are made from orange peels and pine oils, they are considered to be one of the least toxic clears available and are not generally caustic to suppressor parts.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I purchased the gun trust through Coyote Rifle Works for $95. Now I have not had it notarized yet, but doing some research I'm not sure if I trust the trust (no pun intended) as being 100% safe, I damn sure don't want to find out the hard way. Curious if I should chalk it up to a $95 loss and get rid of the pdf file and printed Trust and get a lawyer to draw one up to be legally safe. Apparently anyone can make a trust but no advised without a lawyer. Ahhhh gives me a headache

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
With NFA involved, I would get a lawyer to do it.

I looked at that $95 online trust site or whatever its called, and when I contacted them, they clearly told me they were not lawyers and could not advise on anything.

All I needed to know and hear.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I've designed and built a couple of cans. One of which is a 9mm suppressor that I purpose built strong enough to be a multi-purpose can like the topic was about and why I chimed in.

I also am aware of the toxicity of some cleaners.

Use natural citrus-based cleaners. D-Limonene is in the terpene family. Terpenes are generally not corrosive or harmful to metals or most plastics and polymers. Terpenes won’t cause rusting, pitting, etching, or staining. Since they are made from orange peels and pine oils, they are considered to be one of the least toxic clears available and are not generally caustic to suppressor parts.
John, I was not trying to preach to you as I know you're FAR more experienced with NFA items than I am. I was stating this for the benefit of the OP. Glad you chimed in to explain things further. I learned something as well that I didn't know before. I say this sincerely...not being a smartass.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I didn't take it that way.

And you never have to apologize to me because I wasn't snapping at you. It's just my general demeanor, which doesn't come across well in print and for that, I apologize to you.

I was only trying to add to your earlier reply because you are right and there are a lot of things you don't want to sonic clean with.

Just that not everything is bad.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
I admit that I am biased towards Elite Iron Cans since I have several. You get what you pay for. Have we noticed that the different caliber platforms usually have different muzzle threads .... sometimes even oddball metric stuff?

The reason for that MAY be that mixing different cans with different platforms may or may not be a good idea. Considering the bullet diameter differences between 5.45x39, .22rf and the 5.56x45 could be a good example?

7.61x51, 7.62x39, British .303 and 8x57 may be other examples? Or perhaps others. My feeble point here is that one size that fits all MAY perform OK, but is it a good idea to try to SAFELY do so? I now want a .30 Carbine can.

Elite Iron has already told me a while back that making a can that would work with that dinky but high pressure round may be difficult. The can would be different even from that of a 7.62x25 Tokarev. (sp?) HB of CJ (old coot)

How in the heck do you spell Tokarev? None of my speel chyz thingies are worth a darn, plus I am having a very bad day. Old age. Now you know more. :) :)

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Not sure if you have bought yet, but I just did the whole NFA trust and did the can-shopping. Ended up with a SilencerCo Specwar. CapitolArmory had a pretty good sale going on for a while.

From multiple sources and conversations I have had with both dealers, manufacturers, and end-users, I have found that it is quite possible to pick up a 7.62 suppressor and it will function very well on a 5.56/.223 with the right adapter.

The SIlencerCo Saker is also quite well regarded with good reviews.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts