Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently shoot all WWB 115 grain rounds through my XD9. I plan on starting to shoot some IDPA matches though in a few months and I'm wondering what ammo I should shoot for them. I've read place about 9mm not having enough "umf" behind it to knock over certain targets... so I'd like to get the heaviest bullet I can at a decent cost. What do my fellow 9mm shooters use for IDPA?

·
Registered
308 Posts
115 gr. Blazer. If the knock down targets are calibrated properly 115 gr will knock them over if you hit them.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I use the same WWB all the time in USPSA. It is all you need as it easily knocks down steel targets (assuming you hit them of course) and is plenty accurate at distances under 25 yards.

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
Last year I used WWB. This year, I want a change, as I feel the WWB box is a bit too snappy. Rich at Canyon Creek told me about ArmsCor ammo. I plan to buy 1000 rounds at the end of the month. The nice thing about this stuff is the power factor. They design the stuff for competitive shooters too.

ArmsCor: 9mm x 124g FMJ ammo has a Power Factor of 135.160
WWB Value Pack: 9mm x 115g ammo has a Power Factor of 136.850

ESP has a minimum power factor of 125.000

http://www.armscor.com.ph/armscor/index2.htm

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
147 g federal. Heavier bullet yield less recoil due to mass. more of a push into you palm rather than a snap.

Or use about 2.5 gr VV320 with a 147 bullet for a nice 130 Power factor load.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
CCI Blazer. Academy has it for $3.81 a box, so I shoot a lot more.

·
Registered
102 Posts
For what it's worth, Dave Sevigny uses 147 gr JHP match grade ammo, made by Atlanta Arms when he competes in 9mm. Personally, I find the felt recoil from the 147 gr 9mm ammo to be the most effective for me in competition, however I did find a significant difference in POI when switching from 115gr to 147gr bullets. Hence the addition of adjustable sights to my XD...

Scott

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
147gr American Eagle. Also reload using 147gr West Coast.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Gary G23 said:
I use Geco 124gr FMJ.
+1 on that.

Gary, you have a consistent source for that? My source is hit or miss on having it in stock.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I reload cheapo lead 145grain round nose that I get from a local supplier ($32 for 1000) under 3.1 to 3.5 W231. They feel great and still have enough power to easily handle the poppers.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
ScottQ said:
For what it's worth, Dave Sevigny uses 147 gr JHP match grade ammo, made by Atlanta Arms when he competes in 9mm. Personally, I find the felt recoil from the 147 gr 9mm ammo to be the most effective for me in competition, however I did find a significant difference in POI when switching from 115gr to 147gr bullets. Hence the addition of adjustable sights to my XD...

Scott
Is Atlanta Arms doing special loads for Sevigny? Triton did when he was shooting for them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts