Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your favorite 9mm ammo for XD9?

I've only used two kinds--Winchester White Box for general target shooting and Speer Gold Dots (I keep these in my XD when it's chilling at home...my home defense ammo).

·
Registered
58 Posts
so far i've run gold dots, hydra shocks, winchester white box, and winchester hollow points thru mine. they all did about the same although i liked the winchester hp's most. I've currently got some hornaday tap and some cheap russian ammo(bear something? in a blue box) to try on my next trip to the range. So far i've had no problems, and i've not cleaned my xd in a while(my own torture test as it were..lol)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just picked up an XD9 a couple weeks ago,so I am very interested in this thread. I have been carrying mine with HydraShoks mainly because I have heard good things about them. I have put about 300 rounds of various size and shape ammo with no problems at all. It seems like you can't go wrong with any good quality hollow point. Personally, I am going to look at Cor-Bon next.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
WWB and UMC for practice..

For carry.. I have been relying on Federal Hydro-Shok 147 gr. That bullet has been very reliable for me.. and I like thee larger gr. slower moving bullet.. I have kids, and over-penetration is an issue for me...

I have been experimenting with Speer Gold-Dot 147 gr. GDHP... This is also a very good round. From what I have been reading, it frags really well, but still is able to penetrate outer-garments (denim) more effectively than the Federal round.

Now, there is a relatively new round that I have been reading about.. The Federal EFMJ (Expanding Full Metal Jacket) has no hollowpoint to plug, like the Hydro-Shok. It looks like a full metal jacket bullet, but the scored jacket and internal rubber nose give it reliable expansion.. and it is supposed to feed better as a hardball...

I am taking this last on faith, as I have not shot the round yet. Guns & Ammo magazine has a really good article on this subject. Next time you are at the grocery store, pick up the December issue, page 46 "Practical Pistol Ammo" is worth reading.

Anyway.. find what makes your pistol hungry for more.. and feed it...

Raymond

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
For target shooting

1. Geco
2. Sellier & Bellot
3. Wolf
4. WWB
5. Remington/UMC Green Box

·
Registered
66 Posts
I use the Winchester White Box for general range practice. It's cheap, available, and easy to shoot. I'll use Sellior and Bellot once in awhile to if I run out of ammo at the range. I also put 2 mags of my SD/HD ammo, Speer Gold Dot 127 +P, through the XD every couple of range trips to keeop active with my carry ammo.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I've been enjoyin shootin US govt. issued 9mm NATO made by Federal...fairly hot loads, but not too far into the +P range.
Gold Dots for carry.
WWB is decent....CCI Blazer is decent.
I think you'll find that XD's will just bout eat anything ya wanna throw down range.

·
Registered
285 Posts
WWB FMJ for practice and USPSA competitions. Ranger T 124+P JHP for self defense.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I shot some Cor bon 115gr. JHPs...XDs will eat anything. Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
66 Posts
For range and IDPA competition:

CCI Blazer from Academy...$3.89/50. Thousands of rounds with no ammo related problems.

CCI Blazer Brass is my second choice followed by Winchester white box. Both have also been trouble free but at a slightly higher price than standard Blazer.

Home defense:

Winchester USA 115 gr. JHP's

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I keep all my ammo in the 115-124 range, to be consistent in weights. That being said I've had the best luck with UMC, CCI Blazer, PMC for target ammo. I've actually had the worst luck with WWB, especially the value pack.

I use 124 grain Federal Hydrashock for a defensive load.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts