Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a xd-40 subcompact and I was going to buy pratice ammunition but I really do not know which one would be the best in terms of fail to empty and fail to feed.

What would be the best self defense ammunition? I really want something reliable and I'm going to test it out at the range to see how it does.

I just want to know which ones are the most reliable so I can purchase them and test them out. Thank you.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have not had a problem with any of the cheap main brand practice ammo in my XDs. Winchester white box seems to be a good price at walmart.

Feeding is the number one concern--all else is secondary

I carry Remington Golden Sager 165gr. It ranks top in stopping power. Be sure to test your gun and carry mags with 200 rounds before carrying. Expensive but necessary.

·
Registered
94 Posts
WWB 180gr FMJ's for practice, and Cor'Bon Pow'Rball 135gr. I've never had a failure with either of those cartridge choices. I cannot speak highly enough about the Cor'Bon. I think the Winchester Ranger series is pretty popular around here as well.

Just my .02, and remember to practice with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
477 Posts
+1 on the winchester whitebox from wal-mart for practice ammo

Asking for the best personal defense ammo stirs up all kinds of arguments. I carry Speer Gold Dots 180gr but any of the ones suggested above are good rounds. Try some of each and find out what functions best in your gun and go from there.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
I have put 1K rounds of Wolf through mine with only 1 FTF, 1 FTE, and 1 jam. The jam seemed to be a freak thing. I still need to check the case. Most people here turn up their noses at Wolf but it shoots really well and for the price (under $7.50 from cabelas per 50 with shipping) it was what I can afford. I honestly have had great success with this stuff and its just as reliable as any other ammo I've shot.

I personally think you should practice with what you are going to carry for defense. If you ever need it you sure don't need to worry about different impact points, recoil etc etc for different ammunition.

·
Registered
13 Posts
a lot of people like wolf ammo... until it breaks their extractors.

here are the FBI gelatin test results and a 3 party guide to the results.
http://apollo.demigod.org/~zak/firearms/fbi-pistol.php

you have to take any balistic test results with a grain of salt though. if you read the gelatin tests with out being a bit subjective you would have to wonder 'am i going to be shooting a buck naked assailant or one dressed for a minesota winter?'. why not just a single cotton(T-shirt) layer too. would that not be more realistic in general? personally i look at the average cavity volume more then anything else in the FBI test results.

i have been using the black hills 165g exp .40 (gold dot slugs)you can get through cabelas. 25$ a box, but for 50ct not the usual 20ct. a bit cheaper in price per round then the compairable corbon 165g .40 from the sources i have seen.

+1 though for the performance rounds listed above. find what works for you and is reliable in your piece and piece of mind.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Winchester White Box 165gr for practice--I've had some problems with the 180's, mostly premature slide lock--fatter bullet that can hit the slide stop on it's way up in the magazine.

For defense, check with your local PD on what they issue--always good to use what the local boys are using, provided it's a reasonable round. Easier to defend in court, mostly.

My local PD (and I) use Speer Gold Dot 165gr JHP.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
klintman said:
a lot of people like wolf ammo... until it breaks their extractors.
I haven't heard anything about wolf ammo other than the "Cheap, dirty, steel case, and funny smell" arguments. Any ideas as to the cause of said extractor issues?

·
Registered
13 Posts
a steel extractor + steel cases = much more stress then with brass cases.

a handfull of people can fairly argue that they have sent thousands of wolf rounds into their pistols and rifles without issues or extractor falure, but the fact is brass is much softer then steel. steel cases raise the risk of breaking an extractor for sure. if replacing an extractor is no big deal to you given the $$ savings in ammo then go right ahead.
my decision to ditch wolf ammo came after a guy i see frequently at the range busted an extractor using wolf ammo in a 1 month old colt ar-15. he had used the stuff exclusively for a while and had had a busted extractor in his beretta the week before the ar-15 one went. he told me the beretta seemed like a fluke until the ar-15 suffered the same fate with steel cases. a bit of research on the web revealed it was certainly not a fluke.

i was just glad i never put that junk through my more expensive firearms.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
klintman said:
a steel extractor + steel cases = much more stress then with brass cases.
that would mostly depend on what type of "steel" it is.

Well with the money I'm saving I can afford to replace an extractor if it happens. My Main reason is that I can afford to get to the range more and thus be a better shot.

I'm still not convinced on this Wolf stuff being as evil as some people make it out to be. We'll see I may join the bandwagon eventually!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I like CCI Blazers for practice. 9.97 at wally world for 50. I carry Corbon Power Balls as a defense round. I am looking for Win Ranger's but cannot find em here.

MMMMMMM....Nylon

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You know what's funny. I came back from the range using winchester white box 165 grain and the glock 22 shot everyone without a problem. I brought my xd-40 subcompact and it failed to feed 10% of the time, this was very bad even though it was much more accurate than the glock. I think I'm leaning towards the 9mm now but I have to try different practice ammo through the xd subcompact first and see if it just disliked the winchester. I will probably get rid of the glock 22 for an xd-9 subcompact, p2000sk 9mm, or a glock 39.

·
Registered
13 Posts
.40s&w is a tempermental cartrige to feed. it is short and fat which is inducive to tumbling out of possition. the design of the weapons and their finnished quality using it need to be solid. the magazines can be the source of issues too.
glocks take a controversial approach to aiding the feeding of its .40s. the chambers are not supported in the 6o'clock possition. this is essentially extending the ramp area into the chamber. overcharged ammo is usually the culprit in "KB's" , but in the glocks the majority of these incidents were a result of the cases blowing out at the banding in that unsupported area. while overcharged ammo is primarily responsible the unsupported 6o'clock is in many opinions a signifigant part of the equation in these "KB's".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts