Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am going to shoot in my first IDPA event later this month.
I am pretty sure I am going to shoot my XD .357 sig and not my TRP.
I have a few questions,

A. I have a mag well on my XD. Should I take it off, or leave it on ?

B. WHats the best .357 sig ammo for IDPA

C. What class will I be shooting ? Besides my "Don's guide rod" and mag well my XD is stock.

thanks,

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Hrdluck13 said:
Hi everyone, I am going to shoot in my first IDPA event later this month.
I am pretty sure I am going to shoot my XD .357 sig and not my TRP.
I have a few questions,

A. I have a mag well on my XD. Should I take it off, or leave it on ?

B. WHats the best .357 sig ammo for IDPA

C. What class will I be shooting ? Besides my "Don's guide rod" and mag well my XD is stock.

thanks,
A. You can leave it on.
B. Any "target" ammo will be fine, that is, anything that isn't high dollar Personal Defense ammo. Oh, you can use the high dollar stuff if you want, but Remington or UMC cheap stuff is fine (cheap being a relative term :D )
C. You'll be in Enhanced Service Pistol (ESP), as the XD is considered a Single Action design and it isn't a .45 ACP caliber. Some clubs get this wrong, however, so they might put you in Stock Service Pistol (SSP) if the magwell is absent.

By the was, in the vein of being a picky a**hat, SSP and ESP are Divisions; Marksman, Sharpshooter, etc. are Classes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Snake-eater 1.
Im pretty excited to go to my first match.. Should be fun..

Brian

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Make sure your magwell doesn't keep your pistol from fitting in the IDPA box. if its just a small beveled well it shold work, if its something huge like you'll see on a S_I gun, or made of a heavy material such as brass or stainless steel, you'll catch greif about having an illegal modification.

Shooting 357 sig is definately a non-gamer round for any competition!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can I "legally" swap it out for my 40 SW barrel ?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
In IDPA, changing calibers is a no-no but as long as you don't have a colored inlay telling the world its really a 357 slide, no one will even know it has a 40 barrel instead.

I've seen the prices for Whitebox runs $13-15 for 50 rounds, I don't see how anyone could afford to shoot factory ammo for any type of competition.

For local competitions its fine, just don't get caught at larger ones.

Don't ask, don't tell.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Why's the XD in ESP again instead of Stock with the Glock???

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
DNM said:
Why's the XD in ESP again instead of Stock with the Glock???
It's considered by the BATFE, and therefore IDPA, to be a single action pistol. To the best of my knowledge, it's always "officially" been in ESP.

·
Registered
409 Posts
adding on to his post, I'm thinking about another barrel to try to up the accuracy. can I get the .5 extended, or do I have to stay with the stock length also?

I see that they say bomar sights are a no no, or did I read this wrong? in the glossary is shows a typical notch/post.

·
Registered
409 Posts
maybe I read wrong, but page 18 of the rules says:
Sights of the non standard configuration(I.E. Ghost rings, Bomar Rib, etc)

on page 81 of the glossery:
Sights:eek:nly conventional notch and post style sights are permitted for IDPA compitition. Sights may include tritium inserts, Fiber optic inserts, white dots, etc. Then it shows examples.

are the bomar rib different than what I'm seeing here:

http://www.barsto.com/category_main.cfm?ID=XD&cco=63

I'm more concerned about the barrel than anything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts