Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any opinions on the Bersa Thunder 380? My wife and I shot one today and we are looking at it for her CCW.

Low recoil, easy to manage. It was much easier to handle for her than my XD9.

I actually shot it better than my XD also. Kinda strange.

Any advice, pros/cons.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Any opinions on the Bersa Thunder 380? My wife and I shot one today and we are looking at it for her CCW.

Low recoil, easy to manage. It was much easier to handle for her than my XD9.

I actually shot it better than my XD also. Kinda strange.

Any advice, pros/cons.

Overall I like the little Bersa. Couple of things I'm not a fan of for CCW is having the small safety to deal with, DA first pull (I like all pulls the same) and the smaller caliber compared to the XD sub. My wife and I both shoot it well, very accurate and easy to manage.

A big issue with them is the quality control. It seems like its either awesome or sux all together. My buddy had one that would constantly slam fire and another has zero issues at all. If you get it just be sure to do a lot of testing and be sure of what it is.

I prefer my wife carries the best gun possible with as little concerns as possible. For me the Bersa doesn't fit that bill. She has the M&P Compact; just as reliable as the XD's but fits her hand better.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
^ +1 pretty much what he said its either a home run or an out

·
Registered
297 Posts
I love my little BERSAs. I have the Thunder and the CC (also have a Thunder Pro 9mm), Damn accurate, each one. I also like the DA/SA, it just takes practice and I'll take every excuse to get to the range. They also come with a lifetime warranty. Never had a lick of trounle out of my Thunder with 400+ down range.

Did have a trigger spring break on my CC right out of the box. Sent it in for repair. Took exactly 7 whole days from ship to the warranty smith until I received her back. Run like a top ever since. Fun little guns and for the cost....one of the absolute best values on the market.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I had one in Satin. I thought it was a very nice little pistol. I had "0" problems with mine after the break in period. I'd still have it and carry it if I didn't get a PM9 and a friend didn't make me a sweet offer on it that was just to good to refuse. Like mentioned there CS, is very good from what I hear. Although I never had to use them personally,
I thought it was one of the best kept secrets in the .380 pistol market.
Gun blast reviews has a couple good reviews you might want to read on them.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Overall I like the little Bersa. Couple of things I'm not a fan of for CCW is having the small safety to deal with, DA first pull (I like all pulls the same) and the smaller caliber compared to the XD sub. My wife and I both shoot it well, very accurate and easy to manage.

A big issue with them is the quality control. It seems like its either awesome or sux all together. My buddy had one that would constantly slam fire and another has zero issues at all. If you get it just be sure to do a lot of testing and be sure of what it is.

I prefer my wife carries the best gun possible with as little concerns as possible. For me the Bersa doesn't fit that bill. She has the M&P Compact; just as reliable as the XD's but fits her hand better.
^ this! Plus look at ammo cost and availability! I like my cc but had issues with it out of the box. Trade a satin for it because of comfort issues but wish I hadnt.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Damn fine gun! Well built, nice machining. Looks good. Shoots GREAT. Tack driver. 100% reliable. Perfect size, lightweight for what it is. My wife and I both have one and wouldn't EVER sell'em! I love the drop hammer safety and the DA/SA feature. You can carry one in the chamber. The first shot is saftied by the longer, heavier trigger pull of DA, then everything else is light, quick SA. Best of both worlds. Use a good SD round, like Corbon's DPX in it.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Up until a couple of months ago, I would have said the Bersa was an inexpensive reliable pistol. Then the safety/decocker lever broke off while a friend was shooting mine. The gun would not fire, although to me it looked like the safety was in broken in the fire position. It took a couple of months to get a replacement part and due to circumstances I have not been able to test it out after the repair.

I wouldn't choose a 380 as a primary CCW unless that Bersa is really the only gun your wife can handle. There are compact 9mm pistols that might fit the bill, although the recoil may be greater - the price you pay for having a more powerful round.
I find the Bersa recoil stings as does my wife and two others I know that own the gun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts