Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this lil guy up on Friday, work for today was called off due to a haz mat situ but it is too freakin hot to go out shooting, so naturally I went anyway lol.

This lil pistol has virtually identical dimensions as the Sig 232 and they are both a bit larger than the Walther PPK, all three are styled almost identically with the main exception of the trigger guard hook.
If you're not familiar with the inner workings of this gun ( I certainly was not ) the recoil spring is wrapped around the large barrel, so the barrel in effect serves as the guide rod for the spring. This should eliminate nearly all binding of the slide against the guide rails as the slide just moves straight back along the spring. If the spring were under the barrel like most other pistols, the offset would naturally cause some extra wear compared to this design.

Features:
Three dot sights, the rear is windage adjustable.
The safety is also a decocker.
The frame is an alloy but the slide is STEEL folks, as is the barrel, was quite surprised to see it pass the magnet test, figured it was zinc or aluminum like most other 22s.
That slide is a little stiff to rack back btw, I suspect a slight re-profiling of the hammer face and the safety firing pin block will smooth this out, as will some more shooting :)
Removing the slide for stripping is easy as pie---> rotate the take-down lever down, pull the slide all the way back and lift the rear of the slide up and slide it all off the front of the barrel, reverse the procedure ( with no guide rod to mess with ) and it's back together in a snap.
The grips on the Bersa are plastic and I like them, the grips on the Bersa's twin Firestorm are rubber and feel good but rubber grips always seem to get a little scuzzy over time.
The trigger in DA is just about equal to the Walther P22, the Walther's is better in SA as the Bersa has a bit of creep, but not bad.

Bad stuff:
The safety is quite stiff to get "off safe", it will get better with wear, I'm sure.
The mag release is also pretty stiff and should get better.
The mags work just fine but are a pain to load, the followers are just to small to use effectively. I'm gonna see if Uplula makes one for this weapon.

Shootin it!:
This is a nice little pistol, it shoots great and feels very natural in the hand.
I fed it about fifty rounds of CCI MiniMags fast and slow with no issues at all, this is rare for a brand spankin new 22 as the parts usually have some drag till they get polished in and that drag effects the small amount of power available in a 22 to work the slide and cock the hammer.
No FTFs no FTEs, one dud round that fired on the second strike.
And hey guess what folks, I also ran 50rnds of the ultra cheap, craptacular Remy Thunderbolts with zero issues as well, fast, slow whatever, the Remys fired and extracted just fine.
Fit and finish are extremely good with nicely grooved front and backstraps.
It's a nice solid gun folks no "cheapy" feel to it at all. My wish list would include a reversible mag release and easier to load mags and removal of the hook on the trigger guard but that's about it.

·
Premium Member
127,710 Posts
May I ask what it set you back?

·
Registered
725 Posts
I knew there was something familiar about that profile. I have a Sig 230 (predecessor of the 232) so I know the works. My mag release is at the base of the grip though.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
That is a sweet little pistol and a great write-up.

I have seen several Bersas. They look nice. Glad to hear that by are a good bargain. I haven't heard much bad about Bersa.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cost me $314.00 out the door at the local gun shop ( Rubys in Sullivan MO ). Sales tax is pretty high in that town but I buy from them when I can to help keep the doors open.
Just found out that the Firestorm version has no trigger guard hook and that some versions of the Firestorm have the adjustable rear sight and some don't, oh well, I like the Bersa name on the side and it matches my Bersa 45. If I think of it I will post a pic of both of them together tomorrow.

And btw YES there is a "Baby Uplula" for 22LR with mags less than 1/2" wide, they also have them for the guns that use a converted mag from a centerfire caliber.

I was reading at Bersa talk that some are fussy about ammo ( what 22 isn't? ) but grinding off a small lip under the feed ramp improves it a lot.
I'm also finding that mags can be hard to find but I have at least ten mags for both my P22 and Skeeter and I think it's a waste. Two mags and the Uplula seems about right and will let the gun cool off between sessions, although I got a feeling this thing can take a lot of abuse and just shrug it off.

Thanks folks I'll try and abuse this thing a little over the next few weeks and report back, maybee I can clean up that trigger creep a little.

Oh yeah, the warranty: one year no matter what and lifetime except for the finish, grips, sights, and mags as long as you do the ordinary maintenance.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a sweet little pistol and a great write-up.

I have seen several Bersas. They look nice. Glad to hear that by are a good bargain. I haven't heard much bad about Bersa.
Kinda like CZs, the 380 Bersa seems to sell like the proverbial hotcakes.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well here it is next to my Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact 45ACP.
If you keep in mind that the Bersa 22 is the same size as the Sig 232 you'll
have a good appreciation how small the 45 is :)

Nope, mags not interchangeable :)

Btw, ran another 50rnds of MiniMags and another 50 of Remy Thunderbolts flawlessly. Rapid firing of even the Remys makes an ejection pattern like a perfect rainbow of brass. HUGE extractor for a 22.

·
Registered
725 Posts
That .45's not a double stack, is it? It almost looks wide enough. I have a Para 12-45 that compares in size to the Sig 230, just with a brick of a grip.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That .45's not a double stack, is it? It almost looks wide enough. I have a Para 12-45 that compares in size to the Sig 230, just with a brick of a grip.
I think you could say it's a semi-double stack, IIRC it holds eight rounds.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Nice side by side.

I had a chance to pick up a Firestorm (45) a couple of years ago, but the guy's price was same as new in store. The way he was selling his wares, I just walked away. You just got the feeling that the price was non-negotiable. Eh, oh well.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice side by side.

I had a chance to pick up a Firestorm (45) a couple of years ago, but the guy's price was same as new in store. The way he was selling his wares, I just walked away. You just got the feeling that the price was non-negotiable. Eh, oh well.
You missed a nice gun but price is king and you gotta have at least a decent feeling for who you are buying a gun from. I think I paid under $400 for mine, knowing what I know about it now, I might pay more. I shoot it more accurately than my 5inch XD or M&P.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The Para's a real double stack, 12 rounds. They had 14's as well, but those were as big as a full up 1911, but once again with a brick as a grip. Reckon I could lock a 14 round mag in the 12, but never tried.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update on the lil Bersa 22.
Turns out not only does it like the Remy Thunderbolts ( several hundred rounds now with zero failures of any kind other than dud remys ) it also likes the Remy Subsonic HP!! Only two FTFs and those were both "bolt overs", where the slide doesn't come back quite far enough and the bolt runs up over the semi stripped round in the mag. A weaker recoil spring would fix it but I have no need to run subbies in this pistol.

·
Registered
265 Posts
@kaboom

Hi there, i know this thread is kinda old, but it's only now that i'll be owning a T22, due to be released by the end of this month, I just wanna have some updates if you won't mind, do you still have her and if so, is she still functioning perfectly to this date, does she like the blazer stuff because it's the most available imported ammo down here, btw i ordered the duo tone for practice and plinking.TIA, stay safe!

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@kaboom

Hi there, i know this thread is kinda old, but it's only now that i'll be owning a T22, due to be released by the end of this month, I just wanna have some updates if you won't mind, do you still have her and if so, is she still functioning perfectly to this date, does she like the blazer stuff because it's the most available imported ammo down here, btw i ordered the duo tone for practice and plinking.TIA, stay safe!
Never tried Blazer in the 22, the 45 loves it.

The 22 is still going strong, the single problem I had with it was the soft lead of the Thunderbolts clogs up the barrel, so I just clean it more often.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
265 Posts
@Kaboom

Hi, just got my new Thunder22 DT, fired 100rds of 40gr Hi Vel ammos, armscor that is, cos' CCIs are out of stock so they say, 30-40 rds went ok but after that came FTEs, mostly stovepipes, my concern is the EJECTOR is it normal for this weapon, i mean I noticed upon close inspection that it has some play, about 2mm sideways, isn't it supposed to be set firmly and also do I have to press on the mag release button to insert the mag cos it only goes in halfway I'm afraid that if I shove it in with force i might do some damage to the mag.TIA, will appreciate any input you will share, regards!!!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts