Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 250 rounds of berrys 155 gr 40s&w and 255 rounds in 180gr. I have loaded a few test loads with different powders and noticed two of the four loads were keyholed at 15 yds. I have not tried the 180's yet. For those of you that have tried these bullets, what velocity is do you recommend with these copper plated bullets. I believe their site say 1200 fps or under. I seem to remember reading somewhere to say at 1000 fps or under. Have I wasted my $$ or can these bullets be made to work.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I've run Berry's at 1300fps+ in my 357sig w/ no problem.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've run Berry's at 1300fps+ in my 357sig w/ no problem.
WOW:shock: I haven't been able to get them to group over 1150fps. They do great at 1050fps. I've found Blue Dot to be quite snappy but Universal Clays is much softer recoil. Good for target rounds. Shooting them out of m XD .357sig Service.

·
Registered
435 Posts
i got some samples from their booth at the shot show this year in 9mm 115 grns. I am going to try to run them thru my open gun. Now I know they are the double struck but I have not heard good things at 1450 fps from others that have tried it. I have heard they wont group at that velocity.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Berry's and Rainier both say to use cast bullet load data. Some say that anything over 1200fps the rifling causes the plating to shred. I haven't recovered a bullet to see this for myself. I have loaded the 9mm Rainier's at 1000fps for my pistols. I then chrono'd the same load out of my HiPoint carbine and they were clocking 1325fps. They worked great out of the pistol but looked like a shotgun pattern out of the carbine. This carbine will shoot 2"@50yrds with WWB. The plated bullets have gone up in price so much that the Montana Gold jacketed bullets are about the same price. It's either that or go back to casting for practice ammo.:neutral:

·
Registered
968 Posts
i got some samples from their booth at the shot show this year in 9mm 115 grns. I am going to try to run them thru my open gun. Now I know they are the double struck but I have not heard good things at 1450 fps from others that have tried it. I have heard they wont group at that velocity.
Be prepared to clean your comp.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
WOW:shock: I haven't been able to get them to group over 1150fps. They do great at 1050fps. I've found Blue Dot to be quite snappy but Universal Clays is much softer recoil. Good for target rounds. Shooting them out of m XD .357sig Service.
You are right, they are not as accurate as loads running 1200-1250fps, but acceptable for close speed drills. The 1300fps loads will still group under 3" @ 15yds, the 1200fps loads will go under 2".

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm w/Falaz, mostly. I'm not adamant about lead numbers but I usually them close. I think about 6.5 Power Pistol w/180's.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Ya scooter I am not optimistic about them. From what I hear from other that run them they would work well in 9mm.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I bought 250 rounds of berrys 155 gr 40s&w and 255 rounds in 180gr. I have loaded a few test loads with different powders and noticed two of the four loads were keyholed at 15 yds. I have not tried the 180's yet. For those of you that have tried these bullets, what velocity is do you recommend with these copper plated bullets. I believe their site say 1200 fps or under. I seem to remember reading somewhere to say at 1000 fps or under. Have I wasted my $$ or can these bullets be made to work.
Also, plated bullets are more sensitive to crimping than jacketed or even lead. If you are using a LeeFCD, stop, or at least back it off. I use a mild taper crimp for best accuracy.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If plated bullets are keyholing my first check would br to measure the amount of crimp, I use a very very light crimp and if cases are a little short no crimp at all.
Of course it does not impact my shooting, the bullets have a mind of their own in where they will impact.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
If plated bullets are keyholing my first check would br to measure the amount of crimp, I use a very very light crimp and if cases are a little short no crimp at all.
Of course it does not impact my shooting, the bullets have a mind of their own in where they will impact.
RIGHT!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts