Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother bought a box of Berry's 200 HP plated bullets. Couldn't get them to run reliably in his pistol. Is wondering what loads people have been having good luck with this bullet. I have the standard XD .45

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and I already have some AA#7 around for my .40 but a little research tells me that #5 is much preferred for .45

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hogdon lists a 200 gr JHP on their loading data. I don't use the 200 gr personally, but I have a good bit of load data on the 230 gr XTP.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
I like to get them running close to 975- 1000 fps with the proper powder. the 200 xtps and long shot work well together in my XD for me. oal hasn't shown much effect on reliability, stays near 99.9% from 1.2-1.27".

also those berry hollow points aren't made for expanding, it's more of an accuracy thing. the probably isn't the need to push them like I would an xtp or a harder bonded bullet. those are very thinly copper electroplated lead bullets

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, just looked up the revised data for Accurate powder #5, they specifically list those exact bullets, 9.1 gr for right at 1000 fps. I'll start there.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Thanks for the info, just looked up the revised data for Accurate powder #5, they specifically list those exact bullets, 9.1 gr for right at 1000 fps. I'll start there.
You might want to work up to that, not start there.:eek: The Berry's will run with any powder suitable for the 45acp. I run them with WST, about 900fps, works in anything 45acp I shoot.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
oh yea , by "get them running around" I sloppily meant work up to that. the xtps are a much harder bullet that needs to expand so I like them traveling a little quicker as long as accuracy and pressure aren't comprimised.

like previously said already, for target work a lower velocity is definetly okay. The xtps I load are for SD / hunting or whatever.
sorry bout that, be safe.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Just a note, the old Berry's HP are NOT meant for SD, hunting or anything but target work. They are NOT designed for reliable expansion, just a punched HP in a plated bullet. Sometimes they expand, sometimes not. Sometimes they frag, sometimes just close up & become fmj. So if you are looking for a cheap SD bullet, stick to the XTP or even the old school Winchester or Rem JHP. Berry's does have a new design coming out, supposed to be made as an expanding bullet, we'll see.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
My brother bought a box of Berry's 200 HP plated bullets. Couldn't get them to run reliably in his pistol. Is wondering what loads people have been having good luck with this bullet. I have the standard XD .45
Though you are probably on the right track working up a load using AA5 (if you have some), you did not really describe the type of malfunction you were getting with your brother's gun. Certainly an underpowered load will not cycle the slide far enough to insure feeding, or sometimes not even push it back far enough to pick up a round, so if that is what was happening, then you probably need to increase power a bit.

On the other hand, if the gun is cycling all the way and the rounds are hanging up during feeding that could be more an issue with OAL or even the bullet shape. I had one XD40 which was one of the first Springfield sold under their name that had a barrel with a very narrow feed ramp. It fed truncated cone or round nose bullets just fine, but hiccupped on hollow points. I bought a new barrel several years ago that had a wider feed ramp with a slightly different feed angle and now it feeds hollow points with no problem, even the very wide gap ones. So... like many things, to properly diagnose a problem we probably need more information about the type of "reliability problem" you are having. Hopefully you will be able to solve it just with a bit of tinkering to the load density, but if not, report back with a little more information and we will try to help you again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I need to clarify, my brother and his pistol were having the issues. He already gave me the box of bullets he was so frustrated. I was just looking for info on some loads youall have worked up with this bullet, being that Berry's seem to be pretty popular.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I need to clarify, my brother and his pistol were having the issues. He already gave me the box of bullets he was so frustrated. I was just looking for info on some loads youall have worked up with this bullet, being that Berry's seem to be pretty popular.
That was JSG point, what problem? It could easily be the reloader, not the bullet or specific load. There are people that reload & there are people that know how to reload, it is diff.;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well frankly my brothers issues with his pistol (1911) and the rounds he reloaded with his press will have little effect on the rounds I load on my press for my pistol (xd)., But if you must know I think mostly FTF. I could of or should of started the thread by simply asking what loads have youall used with this bullet that run well in the xd 45. Probably should of left the part out about my brothers issue altogether. Although it nice that youall are concerned.:D

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Well the FT feed, fire? It sort of matters. Nothing wrong with the bullets, so it's loading technique or something else. Without details, kinda hard to give a relevant answer. If you want generic, choose any powder suitable for the 45acp & load a midrange charge. It will function 100% in any 45acp, if loaded properly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I still think there must be a miscommunication. My brother gave me a box of bullets not any ammo. I only mentioned his issues as an explanation of why they were given to me. My only question was about good loads with this bullet for xd's. Im not trying to solve the FTF(feed) issues my brother had with his 1911

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I run WST is my 45acp loads, all bullet wts & types. The 45acp really forgiving, at least a dozen diff powders that work well. Runs great with lead, plated or jacketed. Plated run between jacketed & lead data, so use middle lead bullet data, load to the longest OAL that fits your XD & have at it.

Reactions: 100968
1 - 16 of 16 Posts