Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was thinking of getting a Neos for the daughter. B-day coming soon. She'll be nine. So hand size and weight of the pistol is my main concern here. She likes shooting the MKIII 22/45 and the Mosquito. Is there any others out there that make sense here? Looking to keep it in the $250-$350 range.
Thought of the 22A from S&W but grips to big. Anyone with a suggestion throw it out there. More informed I can get the better off I and she will be. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Took our 8 year old girl to the range for the first time a week ago, she's pretty short for her age and she did fine with my long barrel Neos, it's a great gun in my opinion. Some people can't get past the looks (I kind of like it). It's easy to clean, fires every time and very accurate, I say go for it.

If I did it again I might opt for the short barrel version, but I'm still happy with my choice since I got it for target practice/less expensive range time.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The Beretta or the Ruger would be the top choices. The trigger is short enought & light enough to learn properly.
The Walther .22 or Sig Mosquito are more "realistic" in the sense that they are most like your typical carry or duty pistol. But because of that, the triggers are not as light, crisp, & short. So maybe that is something to get her after she has mastered the Beretta or Ruger handgun.

But for a fist timer, I would personally go with Ruger. But I would not hesitate to go with the Neos either. So get her what she likes best, OR whichever is cheaper.

·
Registered
725 Posts
If you have something you already know she likes, get her one of those, or give her that one, pink grips or whatnot optional, if she's a pink kinda girl. Don't introduce a lot of variables.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Hey guys, I was thinking of getting a Neos for the daughter. B-day coming soon. She'll be nine. So hand size and weight of the pistol is my main concern here. She likes shooting the MKIII 22/45 and the Mosquito. Is there any others out there that make sense here? Looking to keep it in the $250-$350 range.
Thought of the 22A from S&W but grips to big. Anyone with a suggestion throw it out there. More informed I can get the better off I and she will be. Thanks guys.
Neos or maybe a Walther P22.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Neos is a fun gun to shoot but lacks quality. I have both the Neos and the original Colt Target it is a copy of. But you can also purchase a carbine kit for around $200 to make a nice small, very lite 22 rifle and switching back and forth from the hangun to the rifle takes a few minutes. She will love it. I also have the Walther P22 which is nice and small. One thing though the P22 needs standard velocity ammo because the high velocity jams. It cycles too fast to load the next round with HV ammo.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I think I'll go with the Neos. I already own the Ruger so she can shoot that all she wants. Right now she doesn't like the weight of it. I was looking at the short barrel version Thunder. That's why I like this forum. If I hadn't thought of that someone else would have. Great for kicking around ideas and learning things. Thanks again everyone. NO PINK she says. At least when we bought her rifle. I said that's my girl.

·
Registered
725 Posts
:) no pink, there ya go!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
My wife loves her Neos in a 6" barrel. I don't care for it. Hard to hold for me (weird grip) and a heavy barrel for the gun. I don't know...liked it at first, but not so much now. The Walter P22 has a more typical handgun feel to me. The wife loves it, too. And, it's lighter and a whole lot of fun. Even has a rail on it so she can learn lights/laser. Just my .02 worth...if it's worth that :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
FWIW.......a buddy just bought NIB S&W 22 A and on it's first trip to the range it failed to fire between 1 and 3 rounds per 10 round mag. We shot both Remington and Federal LR from Wally World......made no difference. We also had my 22/45 which puts a nice deep crimp on the rim of the casing.....his 22 A would just barely leave a mark on the rim. Guess he will have to send his new toy back to S&W!!:(

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Thats a pretty small reason NOT to buy one. Yes, it's "different", but so was a plastic pistol decades ago. Nothing inherantly bad with the wheel. The waltherp99 had an odd takedown proceedure. My Kimber needs a small paperclip to disassemble the slide.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats a pretty small reason NOT to buy one. Yes, it's "different", but so was a plastic pistol decades ago. Nothing inherantly bad with the wheel. The waltherp99 had an odd takedown proceedure. My Kimber needs a small paperclip to disassemble the slide.

You are correct. I was just saying how it looks not the function. I'm buying it for my daughter on her ninth b-day. So I really don't care how it looks as long as it functions for her. That's why I'm choosing this one. I was just looking for ideas from others when I started this thread. And I do appreciate all thoughts and ideas Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts