Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very aware that this is a Springfield forum but I'm trying to help out a buddy who is having problems with his Beretta. I don't want to join a Beretta forum just to troubleshoot his problem.

We went to the range today and he has not shot his Beretta in a very long time. Every time he or I would fire the gun it would either stovepipe, or FTE every shot. I took it apart, cleaned and oiled it up only to find that it would do the same exact thing. Sometimes it would not even load the next round at all. I know that Beretta makes a fine pistol but I don't have any experience with them.

My first thought was maybe a recoil spring issue, or maybe a bad extractor. Any help that you could give would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To rule the magazines out, insert a magazine and load a round as normally as you can. Once chambered (ensure pistol is on safe and pointed in a safe direction) remove the magazine, aim at target, flip off the safety and fire at the target. Additionally, check to ensure that you or him are not limp-wristing the gun. Yes, you can limp-wrist a 9mm. Recoil spring probably isn't a problem unless you're shooting some underpowered handloads. Extractor, maybe. Are you able to hand cycle rounds through the pistol? (put a magazine in, while on safe and pointed in a safe direction, continuously rack the slide in an attempt to manually cycle the pistol)
I didn't try either of these techniques. I don't believe that we were limp-wristing it considering we were shooting my Walther PPS 9MM with zero problems. But it's a possibility. We shot many types of 9mm rounds from American Eagle to my Speer Gold +P but still nothing but problems. I will try to cycle it manually when I see him next time. I gave him a hard time because I've only seen these types of problems with Kahr pistols in the past.:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.