Springfield XD Forum banner

Beretta 92FS

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Brickboy240 
#1 ·
I'm very aware that this is a Springfield forum but I'm trying to help out a buddy who is having problems with his Beretta. I don't want to join a Beretta forum just to troubleshoot his problem.

We went to the range today and he has not shot his Beretta in a very long time. Every time he or I would fire the gun it would either stovepipe, or FTE every shot. I took it apart, cleaned and oiled it up only to find that it would do the same exact thing. Sometimes it would not even load the next round at all. I know that Beretta makes a fine pistol but I don't have any experience with them.

My first thought was maybe a recoil spring issue, or maybe a bad extractor. Any help that you could give would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
To rule the magazines out, insert a magazine and load a round as normally as you can. Once chambered (ensure pistol is on safe and pointed in a safe direction) remove the magazine, aim at target, flip off the safety and fire at the target. Additionally, check to ensure that you or him are not limp-wristing the gun. Yes, you can limp-wrist a 9mm. Recoil spring probably isn't a problem unless you're shooting some underpowered handloads. Extractor, maybe. Are you able to hand cycle rounds through the pistol? (put a magazine in, while on safe and pointed in a safe direction, continuously rack the slide in an attempt to manually cycle the pistol)

#3 ·
To rule the magazines out, insert a magazine and load a round as normally as you can. Once chambered (ensure pistol is on safe and pointed in a safe direction) remove the magazine, aim at target, flip off the safety and fire at the target. Additionally, check to ensure that you or him are not limp-wristing the gun. Yes, you can limp-wrist a 9mm. Recoil spring probably isn't a problem unless you're shooting some underpowered handloads. Extractor, maybe. Are you able to hand cycle rounds through the pistol? (put a magazine in, while on safe and pointed in a safe direction, continuously rack the slide in an attempt to manually cycle the pistol)
I didn't try either of these techniques. I don't believe that we were limp-wristing it considering we were shooting my Walther PPS 9MM with zero problems. But it's a possibility. We shot many types of 9mm rounds from American Eagle to my Speer Gold +P but still nothing but problems. I will try to cycle it manually when I see him next time. I gave him a hard time because I've only seen these types of problems with Kahr pistols in the past.:)

#4 ·
Forgot to mention, make sure you're actually using magazines made for the M9/92FS and that they're in good repair. If they're military issue magazines and weren't made by Beretta, more than likely they'll need new springs. The Checkmate mags had notoriously bad springs, and this problem was made worse by people who never really took care of their magazines and armories that did not buy magazines until they all were worn out. I was so spoiled by the sand-resistant Beretta mags we got on my last deployment, I bought some for my personal 92FS :D

#6 ·
As I recall, virtually all of the malfunctions in M9's that I saw in the Army were magazine related/induced. Mud, blood, crud and worn out springs were at the top of the list for magazine issues. Try ghost--scout's test and let us know what happens.Don't buy cheap aftermarket magazines.

#7 ·
I think Ghost Scout has you covered. Good luck on troubleshooting the Beretta. Its very odd that one does this - I have found the 92FS to be a very reliable 9mm. My guess is the lazy recoil spring or worn extractor.

It is also very hard to limp-wrist the 92FS, because of its open slide and straight cycling action. I have held my 96F very loose....trying to make it jam and I had to stop, because I was holding it so loose, I was worried about it coming out of my hand!

The aftermarket military contract Check Mate mags had the magazine bodies parkerized inside and out. This made the followers stick, when they got fouled with sand or grit. The original Beretta factory mags were parked only on the outside and the insides of the mag body were polished and never had this problem.

Check Mate was made aware of this problem and the newer Check Mate mags had (surprise) polished and smooth inner mag bodies. Still...everyone avoided ALL Check Mate mags because of the Army's problems and it is probably wise to stick to Beretta factory mags or Mec Gar mags.

Mec Gar is actually the OEM mag maker for SIG and their mags are probably the ONLY aftermarket Beretta mags to have if you cannot find factory mags. I have never run into troubles with my Mec Gar mags in the 96F, although most of my mags for that pistol are Beretta factory ones.

- brickboy240

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.