Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Hold the light high and away from your body in your non-shooting hand?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I have contemplated, but never purchased - the Tick Rail. You can see it here:
EZ Rail (formerly tick)

I believe the light mounted on the gun is the best solution, especially for a home self defense gun. The light is always with the gun.

The light held away from the body - the FBI method is tiring and hard to align with the gun. For those that argue that the light held away from the gun reduces the possibility of being shot, the object here is to flick the light on, identify the target and then flip the light off and MOVE.

If you do look at a separate light/gun setup, look at the HARRIES technique,
Chapman technique or the Rogers method, the latter requiring a short flashlight with an extended rear button.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
I have a Surefire 92FS adapter for my 92FS and love it. I carried my M9 w/ a Tick rail back in 2006 and it worked good, but I prefer my Surefire rail over the Tick. I'd give it to you but it was lost during the several moves I've done since my deployment in 2006. The Surefire rail is a bit more expensive, but I think the cost is worth it. if you're on a budget, the Tick will suffice.
SureFire MR11 Mounting Rail

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
The light held away from the body - the FBI method is tiring and hard to align with the gun.</p>
At least that's what the manufacturers of on-weapon light systems would like you to believe. I learned how to shoot in low-light conditions before there were on-weapon light systems. While I'm never one to stand in the way of progress, I don't see on-weapon light systems as progress. I see them primarily as another gadget that very few owners take the time to learn how to use properly ... let alone practice with on a regular and frequent basis. YMMV

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a Surefire 92FS adapter for my 92FS and love it. I carried my M9 w/ a Tick rail back in 2006 and it worked good, but I prefer my Surefire rail over the Tick. I'd give it to you but it was lost during the several moves I've done since my deployment in 2006. The Surefire rail is a bit more expensive, but I think the cost is worth it. if you're on a budget, the Tick will suffice.
SureFire MR11 Mounting Rail

Thanks but doesnt it kill the balance of the gun?

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Not as bad as you'd think. I found that it balanced rather nicely for me, I always felt my 92FS and service M9 were back-heavy and that the rail/flashlight pulled the front sight down and I had/still have an excellent sight picture upon presenting the weapon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts