Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the plastic guide rod in my gun to a metal one. Can I take one from a 92FS? I have searched the intarwebs for some time now and I got nothin. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I just got a stainless one from Wolff yesterday. Measure you length & diameter & i'll tell you what mine is.
I'm 99% certain they are interchangable

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
You CAN use a metal guoderod from a regular 92 - but you st order that washer at the end the regular 92A1 guiderod to make itw ork.

Go to Brownells and look at the 90-Two schematic. The 90-Two uses the same guiderod. That 1 piece is like $3.

I keep one on hand in case I ever wear out the stock recoil sping, and I don't want to pay the $50 that Brownells charges for the entire 1 piece captive guiderod assembly.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Now wait just a minute. I have a 92FS right here in front of me, and just took it down to check; it's a plastic guide rod. Is there some mistake, or should I be ordering a metal one? Anyone point me at one? Much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
You were happy with the pistol the way it was, why would you suddenly think that a plastic (think XD and Glock) guide rod would just randomly fail? Many users have put thousands of rounds through their 92 series pistol with plastic and plastic coated (trigger) parts and haven't complained of their breaking. If you need more info I suggest visiting Berettaforum.net and asking there.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Google it - there are tons of companies that make one. I did order one once - I forget from who. But, it turned out to be just slightly out of spec... Enough to make it slide forward with the slide closed, and it was a nightmare to get the slide off the gun again.

At this point, after that, I leave the polymer guiderods in all my 92s (my two 92 compacts came with metal ones already - but the other 6 have been left stock).

Without a tungston type of guiderod, you really aren't getting any noticeable difference in weight to make a difference in recoil of the weapon. And, the polymer guiderod doesn't need lubrication. If ya really want one, I'd order a metal one straight from Beretta USA's website. That way, you needn't worry about the problem I had.

But, all fullsize 92s switched to polymer guiderods sometimes between 2001-2003. Only the compact 92s still come new with metal guiderods.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
It's never a bad idea to have a backup recoil rod or spring, especially on a carry or home defense pistol. Now I have the factory polymer as a backup. My Truck pistol is out in the 110 degree heat, (making the inside of the truck at least 170), I'm on a lake where it gets wet as well. Those are circumstances that can degrade a plastic part like the recoil rod. I never believed an upgrade of the factory recoil rod was needed when rverybody was buying them for their Glock. I thought it was a waste of money,,,then I saw one fail first hand & have switched to metal in every pistol that I can find a metal one for.
Same reason to keep replacement springs and magazines. If something fails, I don't want to wait a week or more for the part to arrive on a gun I use everyday.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
So far no problems on my 92FS with the plastic guide rod. It surprised me the first time I disassembled it having carried an M9 for years and assuming they all had metal rods.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I took the cap off of the captive assy. from my 92A1, used the spring from it on a Beretta metal guide rod and I've had no problems at all. You just need to leave the ring from the captive assy. down in the guide rod channel on the slide. I did it mainly for the ability to use the same recoil springs in all of my 92s.

·
Registered
725 Posts
OK, I have no problem with it if that's what it's supposed to be; I have several with a lot more plastic in them than that :) I wasn't aware of the change from the factory, so I was confused. Thank you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone have a new source for a aftermarket Steel recoil Rod for the 92-A1?
I read that Wolff made them. I sent them a email and asked about the one on their site Springs for BERETTA 92, 96, AND CENTURION Semi-Auto Pistols but they said no.

There's nothing wrong with mine just want to customize it.

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts