Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for a new gun and since my last 4 have all been pistols, figured it was time for something else. Started looking for an auto tactical shotgun: currently have a Mossberg 500, but figured it was a good time for a semiauto.

Looked at quite a few: Mossberg 930, Benelli M2 & M4, Remington and while all were nice, nothing really hit me. Then saw an ad for the Beretta 1301 Tactical. Had the oversize release and bolt handle, chrome barrel, and nice sights from the factory. Really liked it and ended up ordering one. Found it for right at $800.00 shipped. Only mods are a Kick Eez direct fit recoil pad, an old sling I had around the house and a buttstock shell holder.

Took it out to the range and had a lot of fun with it. Ran birdshot, reduced recoil slugs and 00 buckshot and full power buckshot. Not a single problem with 150 rounds or so run thru it. The ghost ring sights are taking a little getting used to, but I think that I will like them. The Kick Eez pad really does make a difference in felt recoil-> this thing only weighs in at about 6.5 lbs or so. Reduced recoil loads are fine, but a full day of heavy buckshot or slugs would be punishing. Supposed to be “36% faster cycling” then other semiauto’s….don’t know how that would be measured, but I never did out run the weapon.

Sights were about dead on with the Fiocchi reduced recoil slugs…not enough for me to change them. Will say the slugs make the steel targets sing. The only thing that I am going to do is switch the safety to left hand: being cross eyed dominant, I have always shot long guns lefty. The 1301 did not give me any problem with hulls hitting me or getting peppered with unfired powder.

Bowser

·
Registered
19,921 Posts
I dig it.

And yeah, those guns cycle stupid fast. But us mere mortals won't notice the difference with any competency.

Where's Jerry Miculek when we need him?

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
JM is probably shooting my Yearly Gross Income in practice ammo somewhere...

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Great gun. You need federal flight control. A Ares gear sidesaddle 5 shot card.

If home defense a light on it.

Then a shotgun class.

Best shotgun on the market right now.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
assuming it works like the m4 it still works with a loose shell on the lifter so not a flaw. Can you explain for me?
If you push the lifter up through the loading port and push the button, it'll release shells to manually unload the gun.

If you push the button without moving the lifter, two shells move past the shell stop. If it was only one shell, no big deal. Instead, one shell ends up on the lifter, and the second shell is halfway out of the mag tube, driving the first round into the back of the receiver. Rounds will no longer feed and running the bolt does nothing. You can't move the lifter to try to wiggle them free

There's two basic ways to clear it, both if which suck. You can reach in through the rejection port and push the second round partially back into the tube to try taking tension off so you can pop the first round out. This CAN be done with your fingers, but it's really tough. A screw driver is a little easier.

The other option is have something rigid but thin enough to fit through the slot in the lifter (going from the loading port) to drive the first stuck round up to unjam it.

Both ways suck... It's not a pleasant jam to fix

1 - 10 of 10 Posts