Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my new Beretta 1301 Tactical out for its first range trip this weekend, so I thought I’d share my experience. In short: A good trip; no malfunctions; 3 different types of ammo used; stiff recoil.

First, let me clarify the recoil. By “stiff”, I mean comparable to a typical pump shotgun. It’s totally manageable, but not what I was expecting (or hoping for). This lightweight shotgun is definitely NOT a soft shooter. It’s very similar, if not exactly like my Benelli Supernova pump (7.9 lbs), at least according to my feel-of-shoulder-o-meter. I’ve shot several other semi-autos including other Beretta models (around 7.6 lbs) and a Remington 1187 (8.25 lbs), and those were pussycats compared to the 1301 Tactical. I will note that the other guns were all hunting/sporting models and weighed significantly more, so this comes down to just good ol’ physics. The 1301 Tac is very light (6.4 lbs), so felt recoil will be higher.

Handling is very good. This is where the light weight comes into play. It carries and points quickly and easily and has pretty comfortable ergonomics. For a quick-into-action shotgun, I really like the way it handles. The ghost ring sights make target acquisition easy, too. The trigger is decent; not the best out there, but certainly not the worst, either. I don’t have a pull gauge, but I’d guess the pull weight is “medium-ish” with a little takeup and a clean, though not crisp break, if that makes any sense.

I shot three different kinds of ammo through it, all without malfunction. Federal Tactical 00 Buck with Flitecontrol wad, Rio 2-3/4” game loads (7.5 shot), and miscellaneous 3” steel shot reloads. Surprisingly, the Federal had the lowest recoil of the bunch. It grouped tightly with the fixed cylinder choke barrel, which wasn’t surprising, but it was only at about 15 yards. I didn’t have as much time on the range as I wanted; I will have to pattern at other distances on another trip. The Rio game loads cycled fine as did the 3” reloads, with a noticeable increase in recoil.

Overall, I’m pleased with it, although I was hoping for a bit less recoil on a gas-operated gun. Hard to change physics, though . I definitely need more range time to do more pattern testing and get a better feel for quick reloading.

·
Registered
19,921 Posts
The Federal Tactical buck is usually all a lighter recoiling load for what it is.

Put a limbsaver on it and see how that goes. They might have one of the airsaver pads (these things are stupid soft)

·
Premium Member
17,704 Posts
The Federal Tactical buck is usually all a lighter recoiling load for what it is.

Put a limbsaver on it and see how that goes. They might have one of the airsaver pads (these things are stupid soft)
I had a Limbsaver on my Benelli HD shotgun, but found that it twisted off during manipulations and just got in the way. The Hornady TAP Reduced Recoil actually had tighter groups in my testing. This pic is at 10 yards with 00.

Attachments

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just ordered a Kick-eez pad on Amazon. A few of the reviewers said it fit their 1301 Tactical’s perfectly. We’ll see how it goes...

I’ll give the Hornady TAP a try, too. That’s a good group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,527 Posts
Supposedly there is a LS for the Benelli collapsible but it needs some modifications. Haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Nice looking SG. Glad you are liking it.

·
Registered
19,921 Posts
I think the Hornady actually licenses Federal's cup.

Fitted buttpads are always better than the slip on though.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Darnit, you guys are really making me want one of these. Thinking about retiring the old wingmaster. I've got an aimpoint micro with no home that'd be perfect on one.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Darnit, you guys are really making me want one of these. Thinking about retiring the old wingmaster. I've got an aimpoint micro with no home that'd be perfect on one.
Well, if you need any additional nudging, know that Aridus Industries makes a low-profile mount for your Aimpoint that allows you to use the optic while co-witnessing with irons.
Beretta 1301 Tactical/ Aimpoint Micro CROM

:D

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Well, if you need any additional nudging, know that Aridus Industries makes a low-profile mount for your Aimpoint that allows you to use the optic while co-witnessing with irons.
Beretta 1301 Tactical/ Aimpoint Micro CROM

:D
I saw that, and don't know if i'd rather go that route or do a QD mount. Do you plan on putting a light on it? I might off load a couple pistols to get one and get it setup right, told myself no more guns for a while.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
That's a nice looking gun.

I know that the limbsaver is soft, but I find that it rubs and drags against my clothes as I am trying to shoulder it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saw that, and don't know if i'd rather go that route or do a QD mount. Do you plan on putting a light on it? I might off load a couple pistols to get one and get it setup right, told myself no more guns for a while.

I will likely mount a light, but I’ll have to wait a bit for my wallet to recover. I too, was supposed to chill on gun purchases, but I couldn’t pass on the deal. I have a Nordic mag extension kit en route, so that was a few more bucks.

·
Registered
19,921 Posts
That's a nice looking gun.

I know that the limbsaver is soft, but I find that it rubs and drags against my clothes as I am trying to shoulder it.
It is that.

there's a product trap shooters use that'll slick up the rubber. I can't for the life of me remember what it's called now...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah, but it is a QD socket (sorry, perspective makes it look weird). There's a Picatinny rail on the other side for an eventual light. I'm fairly impressed by the quality of the Nordic parts; the fit and finish is very exact. The only bother will be having to take it all apart when stripping the gun down for a good cleaning. But oh will, it sure looks bada$$!

·
Registered
19,921 Posts
I don't have anything from them personally...well, except one of their 20ga followers, it's super slick...haven't installed it in the gun yet though.

Everyone seems to be quite pleased with their quality though. They seem to have come on the seen about the same time Midwest Industries did with both of them offering top flite stuff at competitive prices.

As for taking it apart, that's any mag extension since you're replacing the cap. It's kind of annoying but still better than taking a damn Ruger MKII apart.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
So where are you guys finding these at? Everyplace i look wants a grand almost for one.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So where are you guys finding these at? Everyplace i look wants a grand almost for one.

TSS Warehouse has these in stock intermittently for under $650. I’ve been watching them over the past couple months, and jumped on one when it was back in stock.

Also, try: Beretta USA 1301 Tactical | Gun Pro

1 - 20 of 36 Posts