Springfield XD Forum banner

benefits of commander length vs. full-size

10K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Diocoles 
The additional inch can help accuracy but not significantly at SD distances when all you need is combat accuracy. That said, it is certainly possible to have a 4' or even a 3" 1911 that can shoot as accurately as a 5". My most accurate gun is a 5" 1911 that has shot a 2.25" group at 25 yards however my 4" Kimber shoots under 4" and my Baer Stinger shoots just over 3" from sandbags at 25 yards. Plenty for a SD gun.

The extra inch on a 5" can reduce muzzle flip however some of us prefer the balance of a 4" gun over a 5". If you can, I would definitely recommend renting a few and trying them for yourself.

I imagine that the reduced weight would considerably affect felt recoil.
The difference in recoil from the alloy Kimber I carry and my other steel 4" guns feels like the difference between shooting 230gr range ammo and my 230gr Hydrashoks. I can definitely feel it but it's really not that significant. After shooting it for a couple years, my slow fire and double tap groups are no larger than the groups with my steel guns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.