Springfield XD Forum banner

benefits of commander length vs. full-size

10K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Diocoles 
I've got four standard barrel length 1911s and one Colt Commander LW (aluminum frame). The LW does feel a bit different in the hand and I'm not quite as accurate with that as with my other 1911s. The biggest difference in my experience, however, is my LW seems more sensitive to what I feed it... even with ball ammo. Also seems more sensitive to the magazines I use compared to the other four.

Do you think that's because of the length of the slide or the aluminum frame? I imagine that the reduced weight would considerably affect felt recoil.
I can feel the difference in recoil, but like Dirty Rod said, I don't think it is a significant difference... no where near as different between shooting a .38spl vs a .357mag. I honestly can't pin down a single factor that makes it shoot different for me. It just feels different in hand, the sight line is a tad shorter, there's a bit more recoil and maybe the lighter weight itself makes it a little less steady for me. Just to give you an idea of difference... if I'm hitting 2" at seven yards with the other 1911s, with this one I'll be at 4"... close enough to do the job as a CC but if punching holes in paper for bragging rights, I'd shoot one of the others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.