Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my XDs in 9mm for about 5 months now. I've only shot it about 200 rds, plenty of dry fire...and I just don't enjoy this gun. The trigger...oh the trigger. I cannot be consistent on it, no matter how much I concentrate on my fundamentals. The trigger breaks good sometimes, but most of the time it jumps. And I don't have this issue with my other pistols or my past ones.

I enjoy glocks, I just simply shoot them well. I'm good with many platforms, but I just connect with them. So I shot a friends Glock 26...and wow. It was a tack driver. The XDs...just frustrating for me. I put it in my iwb holster, and it honestly conceals just as easy as my xds. I'm so much more confident shooting it.

So I believe I'm gonna trade it in on one...but possibly considering a G33 in 357 sig. I have a G32, and it's surprisingly a handful, so I think it would be even worse in the smaller 33.

Anyone else just not connect with the XDs?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I was going to sell my XDS 9mm for a gen 4 glock 26 after my first range trip with the XDS.....I was all over the paper and not shooting accurate. I do love the look / size / and feel of the gun in my hand so I decided to spend $20 on the PRP kit and give it a second chance.........took it to the range, and decided it was a keeper. Accuracy was wayyyyyyyyyyy better and it shot great

·
Registered
599 Posts
I had so many glocks, but my fav was the g26 excellent shooter, great pistol, still I prefer SA pistols because of the grip is more natural and comfortable to shoot.

Recently got the XDS 45 and love it, yeah the factory trigger is not so great, but it can be fixed with the PRP spring kit, like lots of people go with the 3.5 connector on their glocks.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I traded my XDs .45 for a Gen4 G27 and haven't look back, I do shoot the G27 better than I shoot the XDs. I also bought a Lone Wolf .357 sig barrel in so now I not only have a .40 but also a .357 sig, I love it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had so many glocks, but my fav was the g26 excellent shooter, great pistol, still I prefer SA pistols because of the grip is more natural and comfortable to shoot.

Recently got the XDS 45 and love it, yeah the factory trigger is not so great, but it can be fixed with the PRP spring kit, like lots of people go with the 3.5 connector on their glocks.
I've thought about that, but even the bone stock Glock triggers are 10 times better than my XDs. I hoped it would smooth out with some shooting and dry fire... I still can't break it consistently.

I traded my XDs .45 for a Gen4 G27 and haven't look back, I do shoot the G27 better than I shoot the XDs. I also bought a Lone Wolf .357 sig barrel in so now I not only have a .40 but also a .357 sig, I love it.
How's the recoil shooting 357 sig? I know it's definitely more going from my G19 to G32. I'd imagine defense loads would be even more recoil. I just don't know if the increased recoil, expensive ammo, harder to find, are worth having over the 9mm. Remember I have a G32, and I don't shoot it much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Being an avid 1911 shooter I picked up my first polymer pistol xd9 a few months ago, at first I hated it and after putting 500 plus rounds down range I am improving but slowly. My trigger is definitely broken in but I hate it because it isn't a 1911. I went back to the basics an revised my fundamentals and realized everything I "knew" was based on a large frame all steel gun. My grip had to modified slightly and now I am moving along nicely. I guarantee you it is not the gun, it's you and no matter what you put in your hand, paper doesn't lie.
I thought of it as a challenge, a gun forcing me to work harder to put rounds on target and flat out telling me where my deficiencies are. Oh, and a lot of dry fire practice helps a lot. by the way if you are having trouble with a 9mm don't even think about a .357 sig. Night and day as far as recoil is concerned.

Buy ammo and shoot more, get a coach to watch your form or record yourself and critique your execution of the fundamentals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
0 Posts
My XDs just sits in the safe. I have a lot of different carry options but the post recall XDs just doesn't cut it anymore. Most likely there is a glock on my side but I did just pick up a shield.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand that it's me, but necessarily the gun, but there's no denying a good trigger helps with accuracy. But from past pistols, 1911's, Beretta 92, s & w j frame, sig 229, my glocks, I've never had a trigger feel so inconsistent. I watch my finger placement time after time. But it honestly never feels to break the same. It's enough to have some shots dead on, then others to BFE! Maybe it's where it's a single stack pistol, and my grip could be an issue. But regardless, shooting the G26 just felt right.

Once I get confident, I load all my mags with one round. Shoot, reload, shot reload, etc. as quick as I can. With the G26, I can drill a 4" steel target with all shots most time. The XDs...about 50%. So since I know I'm extremely comfortable with the Glock platform, and the G26 is nearly as easy to conceal with my method of carry, then that's the route I'd rather go. It may be beneficial to become proficient with the XDs, but I no longer have that motivation. not when the Glock works for me.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
My XDs just sits in the safe. I have a lot of different carry options but the post recall XDs just doesn't cut it anymore. Most likely there is a glock on my side but I did just pick up a shield.

So Mr. Carl which one you get the 9mm or the .40 and how you like it?

·
Registered
130 Posts
So I've had my XDs in 9mm for about 5 months now. I've only shot it about 200 rds, plenty of dry fire...and I just don't enjoy this gun. The trigger...oh the trigger. I cannot be consistent on it, no matter how much I concentrate on my fundamentals. The trigger breaks good sometimes, but most of the time it jumps. And I don't have this issue with my other pistols or my past ones.

I enjoy glocks, I just simply shoot them well. I'm good with many platforms, but I just connect with them. So I shot a friends Glock 26...and wow. It was a tack driver. The XDs...just frustrating for me. I put it in my iwb holster, and it honestly conceals just as easy as my xds. I'm so much more confident shooting it.

So I believe I'm gonna trade it in on one...but possibly considering a G33 in 357 sig. I have a G32, and it's surprisingly a handful, so I think it would be even worse in the smaller 33.

Anyone else just not connect with the XDs?
Get the PRP kit. You might change your mind

·
Registered
298 Posts
And adjust the grip safety spring. I couldn't hit paper with my 8.5 crappy trigger from 7 yards. 1st trip after prp and adjusting (5.5lbs now) i punched out center with my 1st 10 rounds. Even bullseyed red a couple of times at 25 yds. Never did that with any gun before (admittedly don't shoot at 25 too often) adjusting that spring made the biggest difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't shoot the XDs .45 as well as I shoot my Glock 26 (my most carried gun by a huge margin), but the XDs is just enough thinner that it's a bunch easier to conceal in summer clothes. I can carry the XDs when the G26 prints.

The G26 is my first choice. The combination of trigger, reliability, relatively light weight and ammo capacity makes it a very good carry gun. With out the XDs, it's the G26, P238, or LCP. The XDs gives me an option with more muzzle energy between the 26 and the P238.

That said, I shoot the XDs 'good enough' for SD purposes. I have no trouble keeping the shots on an 8-1/2" by 11" piece of paper at reasonable speed, even point shooting at 3 to 5 yards. If my group is much smaller than the paper, I shoot faster; if any shots are off the paper, I slow down a little. That's my criteria with all my personal defense guns.

With the bright fiber optic front sight I have no trouble shooting the XDs with both eyes open.

Fitch

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I have never met a handgun I couldn't eventually shoot fairly accurately. Granted, some are better than others, but if I put the time in, I got results. Never have put a trigger job in, and that includes the Smith sd9ve and the lc9, which both break at the very back of the trigger guard. To me, it's like playing a video game in a way, as the fun is in figuring it out. Once you have, you put it away and only pull it out once in awhile to remind yourself you still have it. Daddy always said I was a hard head, and I guess he was right because I won't let a handgun get the best of me. That being said, my CCW needs to be one of my most accurate guns. I was questioning whether I could get accurate with the XDS 45 the first time I shot it, but dry firing and changing grips helped me immensely. Then I got the accuracy I needed. I would get a Glock 26 or 27 for winter, but they won't conceal near as well in shorts and tee shirt like the XDS will.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I understand that it's me, but necessarily the gun, but there's no denying a good trigger helps with accuracy. But from past pistols, 1911's, Beretta 92, s & w j frame, sig 229, my glocks, I've never had a trigger feel so inconsistent. I watch my finger placement time after time. But it honestly never feels to break the same. It's enough to have some shots dead on, then others to BFE! Maybe it's where it's a single stack pistol, and my grip could be an issue. But regardless, shooting the G26 just felt right.

Once I get confident, I load all my mags with one round. Shoot, reload, shot reload, etc. as quick as I can. With the G26, I can drill a 4" steel target with all shots most time. The XDs...about 50%. So since I know I'm extremely comfortable with the Glock platform, and the G26 is nearly as easy to conceal with my method of carry, then that's the route I'd rather go. It may be beneficial to become proficient with the XDs, but I no longer have that motivation. not when the Glock works for me.

I was the opposite. My G22 just didn't do it for me. Then I shot an XD and an XDM. I sold my G22 and never looked back.

The Glock platform, in general, and your G26 in particular, work for you. So rock on with them, I say, and do bother to look back.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was the opposite. My G22 just didn't do it for me. Then I shot an XD and an XDM. I sold my G22 and never looked back.

The Glock platform, in general, and your G26 in particular, work for you. So rock on with them, I say, and do bother to look back.
I agree, my first Springfield was a XD 40sc. I shot that gun like it was an extension of my arm. Very accurate. Since then I purchased a g36 and a g27. Couldn't shoot them as well as the XD. Now I have 3 Springfields and no glocks.
I have nothing against glocks, I just don't shoot them as well. To each his own.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Right at $105, I though that wasn't too bad considering they sell their XDs's from $475-$500.[/QUOTE

Not bad. They have to make their money, but a good customer is worth giving a good trade also. I like the FDE and have considered either a 26 or 27 as my first Glock. I have my eye on a bi tone 9mm XDS 4.0 at a LGS not too far from my home right now though. Dude wants $505 plus N.C. tax, so not too bad.

Let us know how yours shoots, and it you use it as a CCW, how that works out for you.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts