Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a powder that will work great for plinking ammo. I will be reloading 9mm, .40 cal rounds. I'm wanting a cheap powder that will work well with both rounds. Any suggestions would be great and if you can post link to the powder I would appreciate it. The press I'll be using is the Lee Turret 4 hole press with safety prime and Auto Drum powder measure.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
I use titegroup for all my handgun 38/357 40 45acp and long colt.
Seems to do alright so far Im a newb as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Alliant unique is versatile. I've used it for 12gauge, 9mm, 40, 45, 41 magnum, 44 special and 44 magnum. With that said I prefer Hodgdon Titegroup for 9 and 40.

As for links, stocks are crap now. Need to shop around, expect to pay higher when find. I've always tended to buy at local shops or cabelas/bass pro because online adds extra for hazmat shipping. I used to use free ship to store with cabelas / bass pro but their stock sucks now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know your reloading for pistol calibers but for my revolver loads I have really good luck with Clays from Hodgson. I haven't tried reloading for slide guns yet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use titegroup for all my handgun 38/357 40 45acp and long colt.
Seems to do alright so far Im a newb as well.

I've looked at this powder thanks for the info.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alliant unique is versatile. I've used it for 12gauge, 9mm, 40, 45, 41 magnum, 44 special and 44 magnum. With that said I prefer Hodgdon Titegroup for 9 and 40.

As for links, stocks are crap now. Need to shop around, expect to pay higher when find. I've always tended to buy at local shops or cabelas/bass pro because online adds extra for hazmat shipping. I used to use free ship to store with cabelas / bass pro but their stock sucks now.
I'll have to look into the Alliant Unique. I wanted links so I could check it out not necessarily buy it online. but I guess I can do my own research. I was just being lazy. I'm not to worried about hazmat. Most of the LGS's around here are out of everything except new guns or powder that I have no use for.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know your reloading for pistol calibers but for my revolver loads I have really good luck with Clays from Hodgson. I haven't tried reloading for slide guns yet.
Isn't Clays for shotguns?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Isn't Clays for shotguns?
Yes and no. Clays was designed as a shot shell powder, but it works fine in some pistol applications.

For versatility, it is hard to beat unique, but for light 9mm and .40 loads I also like Green Dot, W231 and Red Dot.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I'll have to look into the Alliant Unique. I wanted links so I could check it out not necessarily buy it online. but I guess I can do my own research. I was just being lazy. I'm not to worried about hazmat. Most of the LGS's around here are out of everything except new guns or powder that I have no use for.
ah, I got focused on links that actually have powder, found none. Here are two links for info:

https://www.alliantpowder.com/products/powder/unique.aspx

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/alliant-powder-unique-smokeless-shotshell-powder

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Do your own research, you may be missing a powder you think is not good but may be ideal for your loads. Go to this site and input your caliber you want to load, then select, All bullet weights, all manufactures and all powders. Wait for results and print out the list or write it down to study. Then do the same for your 2nd caliber. Then select a powder that works for both of your favorite calibers and bullet weights. I use Longshot which is a shotgun powder (and I use many others powders listed here). There are lots of other powders that will work. Note: All powders are "cheap" when you can load over 1000 rounds from 1 pound of powder @ $25.
Go here: Hodgdon Reloading | Home

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
I’ve used a lot of Tightgroup over the years and had good luck with Autocomp for plinking loads. Pretty much any fast burning powder will work for developing a good plinking load.

For target loads I like VV powders, good defensive loads in 9 and 45 I’ve had good luck with Powerpistol.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like Titegroup, try Winchester 231 as well. Great in 45 ACP, 38 Special, should be great for 9/40 as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hello,

I would highly recommend you look into Vihtavuori N320, which is the best 9mm and 40 S&W power but also the most expensive. If this is not an option for you for any reason, I would then recommend you look into Alliant Sports Pistol, which is very close to VV320. I believe you will like either one.

Good Luck and Be Safe!!!
8)

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I would highly recommend you look into Vihtavuori N320, which is the best 9mm and 40 S&W power but also the most expensive.

Nope.

N320 is good for 9mm/40 but N330 is better....at least for 9mm accuracy. 40 S&W is not a spectacular cartridge in the precision department in general.

Another option is Power Pistol. Very good To exceptional 9mm accuracy and works with 40 as well.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Power Pistol is my go-to for 9mm. It’s a bit flashy on short barrels, but I don’t use it for defensive loads, so it’s not a problem (I’ll use BE-86 for that). I also recently tried Ramshot True Blue, which went well. Both PP and True Blue meter very consistently and I’m quite satisfied with accuracy.

·
Registered
9,374 Posts
I'm looking for a powder that will work great for plinking ammo. I will be reloading 9mm, .40 cal rounds. I'm wanting a cheap powder that will work well with both rounds. Any suggestions would be great and if you can post link to the powder I would appreciate it. The press I'll be using is the Lee Turret 4 hole press with safety prime and Auto Drum powder measure.

Titegroup, Power Pistol, and VV320 are great choices, but I believe CFE Pistol would be a good choice for plinking powder.
It is NOT as expensive as the VV, does not produce the big muzzle flash and big bang of the Power Pistol, and it is not finicky as the Titegroup.
Hodgdon offers the CFE Pistol, for handguns
CFE Black, for the 300 Remington AAC Blackout
CFE 223, for the 204 Ruger, 223 Remington/5.56mm NATO, 22-250 Remington and the 308 Winchester/7.62mm NATO.

CFE Pistol

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recommend Titegroup for 9MM and 40S&W. I've used every powder recommended in this thread, except CFE Pistol, and prefer Titegroup for 9MM Para, 40 S&W and 45 ACP.

It is fairly low cost per pound, charge weight per round is low, it burns clean and is pretty consistent.

Compared to Titegroup, N320 is cleaner and more consistent but a lot more expensive.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all for the reply's. I appreciate the help. I am not worried about price of the powder. I just want one powder to work with 9mm and .40. Sorry for the late reply to you all. Work has had me going 65 hours this week. I have looked into CFE pistol, Titegroup, and Sports pistol. I'll have to venture over to the Vihtavuori and check the N330 and N320. Some of the powders I've looked at that my LGS has in stock are for calibers I don't own. The pistol calibers I have are just a 9mm and .40 right know. I haven't found a reloading die for .22 magnum or .22 LR yet.lol.
Yes and no. Clays was designed as a shot shell powder, but it works fine in some pistol applications.

For versatility, it is hard to beat unique, but for light 9mm and .40 loads I also like Green Dot, W231 and Red Dot.
I forgot about Green Dot and red dot. thanks for thee reminder. I've seen those at my LGS. But was unsure about them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What's everyone's thoughts on IMR Target. Would that be a good plinking powder for both Calibers. I can get some at the LGS that's 3 blocks from me for 20 bucks a lbs.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I have not used IMR Target but after looking at the load data it looks like it will work as good as any for your plinking loads. IMR powders are excellent powders. I use many others from the Hodgson Company and they make the Target powder.
Check to see if it loads the bullet weights that you will be using to be sure, but it looks like it loads most bullet weights of both of your calibers.
Do not buy more than 1 pound because as you get more experienced in reloading you will be buying other powders for both guns that may be for hunting or self defense.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts