Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a beginning shooter, and I am wanting to possibly get into competitive shooting. I am just curious on what would be the right way to go for me. I can shoot decently for a beginner, but I think this will help me improve my shooting, and help me know my gun better. Also, I was wanting to know if going to a competition before anything would be a good idea. I just don't know if the courses change, once again, new to this world of shooting. Any help on this matter or websites would be a great help. By the way, I am in Indiana, so if any of the organizations are only regional, that hopefully helps. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Glad to see another shooter interested in competition shooting. For USPSA you are in Area 5. Jeff (Ampleworks) on here is the web manager for Area 5. Click on the USPSA link in my signature section, then click on Area 5 on the map, scroll down till you see Indiana in the left column.
For IDPA, click on the IDPA link in my signature then click on club information and locate a club close to you.
USPSA or IDPA, email or call the POC and find out when the matches are. Go and watch, and ask a lot of questions.
There are some video links in a couple of the posts in the section.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been looking around online, and I can't find any matches for the rest of 2005. I am assuming this is because it is so late in the year, and there won't be anymore around here anyway. I am also wanting to know if I do miss a match, do I lose any chance I may have to qualify for a national competition? That's why I want to go this year to look around and ask questions, so I don't miss any possible opportunities next year when I would really get my feet wet. I have no illusions of keeping up with experienced shooters, just want to be on the safe side in case something crazy might happen. I already have a ton of questions, and don't know where to start. I am sure once I go to an event, I will have even more.

R Dub - I'm sorry, but what is POC? I apologize for being ignorant.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, does USPSA have an online rulebook because I cannot find it on their website as I can IDPA? I have read through IDPA's, and I think finding an USPSA rulebook would be a great benefit to my decision also. I know many of you shoot both, but I am a college student with no job, and can't afford both right now. Ammo is enough alone, and I have bought ammo instead of eating before. You might say I have it pretty bad. :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
POC = Point of Contact.
In USPSA you will have to shoot four classifier stages to get classified in a Division. Using the XD, you will most likely want to shoot in Production Division or Limited 10 Division. Both of those are restricted to 10 rds in the magazine at the buzzer. You could shoot Limited Division also, but you will be going against some high dollar race guns.
Once you get classified you will remain at that point until you progress upward into a higher level.
In IPDA you shoot the classifier once and you are classified. You never have to shoot it again unless you are like the rest of us and want to burn bullets and try to improve your standing.
Look over the post in theis section. There is some good info on the equipment requirements for both sports.
The rule books for both USPSA and IDPA are on the web sites and can be viewed online. The membership forms are also online and can be printed and mailed in.
Another good forum for competition shooting is Brian Enos' forum:
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
darrinlowe said:
Also, does USPSA have an online rulebook because I cannot find it on their website as I can IDPA? I have read through IDPA's, and I think finding an USPSA rulebook would be a great benefit to my decision also. I know many of you shoot both, but I am a college student with no job, and can't afford both right now. Ammo is enough alone, and I have bought ammo instead of eating before. You might say I have it pretty bad. :lol:
Click on the red Rule Book button at the top of the USPSA main page. Then click on the 2004 Handgun Rules.

If cost is a big factor, IDPA may be where you want to start. All you need is a holster, two mag pouches, eye and ear protection, and bullets. The stages are shorter as well as a lower round count for the matches.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
IDPA now says you "should" classify once a year, if you are going to compete at a state level or higher. Many state and regional matches now REQUIRE a classifier within the last year. Also, to shoot the Nationals, you must have shot at least two state level or higher (sanctioned) matches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts